Thunderpants!
Feb 9, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #1,981 of 2,225
Quote:
The senny cable may be the brightness culprit compared to what you were using before. try taping off half the bass port or something like that and see what happens. Also experiment with fibers or cloths in front of the driver. I would recommend the 2mm floppy craft felt for the earside of the baffle as a doughnut around the driver hole. It may also calm down the highs. Just cut a doughnut shape to fit on the baffle and glue it down. but make sure your port that comes through the baffle to the earside can breathe. From your pictures it doesnt look like you drilled that out. there is a hole on one of the corners of the driver that goes thru to the earside. Shine a flashlight thru those holes and whatever one you see wood through, drill that same size hole thru to the earside to vent that way. 

the more you can make the earside of the can absorbant to standing waves the cleaner it will sound and the blacker the background will become, especially with those gel pads. 

-M

Thanks....again... :)

So, the brightness isn't so bad that it bothers me.  It's just noticeable.  That said, should I still consider putting some foam on the ear side of the driver?  Evidently (according to Funch) the Beyer Gel ear pads come with an ear side foam disc, but I didn't get one, since I purchased them "used".  It sounds like you're talking about NOT covering the entire ear side of the driver, though -- just a portion?!?  If so, how much do you cover?  Just the baffle and not the driver?

Je suis confuse...

Feb 9, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #1,982 of 2,225

I will try to make sense of my felt idea. All you need is some simple 2mm thick felt from michaels or somewhere similar. Cut out a doughnut shape to cover the wood around the driver. Use the picture above for reference to what i mean. The only difference from the above picture is that its not a thunderpant baffle, the hole is square not round and my foam goes all the way out to the edges. Your felt will only cover what your pads dont that faces your ear. I tried to find a picture of my old pair but had no luck. 

So in simple terms, cut a ring of felt to go inside of your pad circle and around your driver hole leaving the driver exposed but covering up all the wood between the edge of  your pad and driver. I hope that makes sense and i'm sure you will hear a difference. 

-M

Feb 9, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #1,983 of 2,225
Quote:
Je suis confuse...

It means you're confusing, not confused. It also means you're a girl, because you used the feminine form. 
tongue.gif

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #1,984 of 2,225
Quote:
It means you're confusing, not confused. It also means you're a girl, because you used the feminine form. 
tongue.gif

Well, crap.  That's what 5-years of public school French class gets ya... :)

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #1,985 of 2,225
Quote:

I will try to make sense of my felt idea. All you need is some simple 2mm thick felt from michaels or somewhere similar. Cut out a doughnut shape to cover the wood around the driver. Use the picture above for reference to what i mean. The only difference from the above picture is that its not a thunderpant baffle, the hole is square not round and my foam goes all the way out to the edges. Your felt will only cover what your pads dont that faces your ear. I tried to find a picture of my old pair but had no luck. 

So in simple terms, cut a ring of felt to go inside of your pad circle and around your driver hole leaving the driver exposed but covering up all the wood between the edge of  your pad and driver. I hope that makes sense and i'm sure you will hear a difference. 

-M

Interesting.  What exactly is that accomplishing, other than cutting down some (potential) reflection?  Or maybe that's the goal.  Would it make more sense to simply put an airy piece of foam across the entire ear side of the driver -- such as with what most headphones feature?  Does Smeggy use either method?

Just curious.  It's easy enough to try both...

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #1,986 of 2,225
Precisely! canceling reflections to get only what the driver is producing :) 

The only thing you want hitting your ear are waves coming from the driver, not waves bouncing around off the wood and back to your ear. Smeggy uses (or has in the past) used the felt doughnut around the driver to cover up the wood surface. You dont want to cover up the driver unless you are getting an undesired level of treble. Certain felts or fabrics can help reign down certain frequencies, in particular the highs. With both of my self-made thunderpants I used a simple felt doughnut (which I superglued to the wood) around the driver hole and not covering the driver or the hole that vents to the ear-space. It's worth a try 
wink.gif

-M 

Feb 13, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #1,988 of 2,225
Did my first ever mod! 
redface.gif
 Probably not news, but it's easy, so...

While waiting for my "vegan" LCD2 pads to arrive I've been getting p*ed off with what I perceive as a "cavernous" sound of my older stock TPs - something like overblown lower midbass and also middle mids (two separate problems really... Br777 characterizes the latter well on the very first page of this thread.) I should probably do an EQ sweep myself, but for some reason I have irrational issues with EQ and decided to do something about it "the old fashioned way" - so I cut up some strips of cotton (t-shirt type material) and stuffed them into the earcup behind the stock pad to absorb reflections, like so:

Now while the bass still goes all the way down, they have become treble-forward detail machines! 
ph34r.gif
 I don't actually like the sound as it's a bit too much, but I think a lesser version may be what I'm after... someone mentioned some felt covering the ear side of the wooden baffle - do newer TPs have that? Mine don't, but maybe I'll try it.

Anyway, perhaps (I hope) the LCD2 pads will make all this moot, but it's fun to give in and embrace the inexact (or should I say "real world") science of headphones for what it is :)

Feb 22, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #1,990 of 2,225
Can someone explain how the headband is attached to the cup in most of these. they look like shelve brackets. However one shelve brackets, one end has a hole and the other is just a little nub thing. Are they just glued in there ? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back