Thunderpants!
Jul 19, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #1,546 of 2,225
I've never really weighed a set so can't say for sure. They're not lightweight though as the mass is part what lets the drivers work best. Having said that, the weight is well distributed so they don't feel as heavy on the head as one may think. Comfort is one of my primary goals is headphones, If I can't wear them all day there's not much point imo, and I'm one of the most picky people I know who puts comfort up there with sound quality as a prerequisite for good phones. That's why I spent so much time modding various old phones just to make them wearable. I'll try to get a set weighed though. The weight does vary a bit depending on wood types so there won't ever be a standard weight.

I guess the people here with a set can give you their thoughts on comfort as everyone's head is different.

Jul 19, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #1,548 of 2,225
I wear mine for hours at a time, day after day, including on long flights, and find them very comfortable. I agree with the statement that the weight is very well distributed.

Jul 19, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #1,549 of 2,225
They are indeed comfortable with the stock earpads and more so with Stax earpads. They are a slightly more heavy than the various AT woodies that I own but not so much that it becomes uncomfortable when worn for long periods of time. The pair that I own and built by Smeggy has curly Koa enclosures, Koa is a dense wood that has some weight to it. The weight is evenly distributed and balanced throughout the entire assembly that it doesn't feel top heavy when they are worn. You'll get adjusted to the slightly added weight and soon won't notice it unless you're specifically trying to.

Jul 19, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #1,550 of 2,225

Quote:
That's called 'me having fun with an engraver'
biggrin.gif

what were you using to get this fine finish on those?

Jul 19, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #1,551 of 2,225
I have a huge assortment of tools to use, so it's not one or two things, it's a whole barrage of stuff that changes with my mood. Obviously I'm reluctant to give out too much info at this time as this is my livelihood now and I need to keep my methods to myself for the most part. Besides, it would take all day to go through the process.

Hope you understand :)

Jul 19, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #1,552 of 2,225
Quote:
I have a huge assortment of tools to use, so it's not one or two things, it's a whole barrage of stuff that changes with my mood. Obviously I'm reluctant to give out too much info at this time as this is my livelihood now and I need to keep my methods to myself for the most part. Besides, it would take all day to go through the process.

Hope you understand :)

You've already shared plenty.

I haven't woodied my T50RPs yet, but I love them just the same and I've probably have never heard of them if not for your Thunderpants so I need to thank you for that.

I think its a good thing you're ramping up production on these so people who don't have the skill or time to get their hands dirty can experience them since there's a severe shortage of good sounding closed headphones on the market.

Jul 19, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #1,553 of 2,225
I completely agree. I am probably becoming a broken record on this, but while I have not heard all the closed headphones out there, I have not yet heard any better than the Thunderpants. Still regard them as one of my best audio purchases ever, and I have been in high end for decades.

A side question on the Stax black pads. Mine have "collapsed" some, requiring me to cut the leather to clear the ports. Still seem to work fine, but it seems strange. Has this happened to anyone else?

Quote:

I think its a good thing you're ramping up production on these so people who don't have the skill or time to get their hands dirty can experience them since there's a severe shortage of good sounding closed headphones on the market.

Jul 19, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #1,554 of 2,225

Quote:
I completely agree. I am probably becoming a broken record on this, but while I have not heard all the closed headphones out there, I have not yet heard any better than the Thunderpants. Still regard them as one of my best audio purchases ever, and I have been in high end for decades.

A side question on the Stax black pads. Mine have "collapsed" some, requiring me to cut the leather to clear the ports. Still seem to work fine, but it seems strange. Has this happened to anyone else?

Agree, definitely the best closed headphones I've ever heard and also my favorite out of all the headphones I've gone through.

Jul 19, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #1,555 of 2,225
^ yea man, the stax pads will collapse a smidge over time. Just a few days ago i re-adjusted myn. Take the pads off and pull the filling around so it sits flat again and then re-stretch them over the baffle.

Excited to see this thread active again :)      I'm getting excited to unveil my quilted maple cups im having turned right now. I talked the guy who does it for me into letting me put together a pair of TP's for him in exchange for turning another set of cups and baffles for me. He bought himself a pair of t50's and is turning his own cups and baffles besides myn and im just going to put it all together for him :)  So within the next week look for 2 new pairs of thunderpants ( although not smeggy made, they'll be as up to par as my skills allow :) ).   I have to shout out to Teejay for the help with the new cups and I hope you like what they turned into. I know its taken a while but theyre finally getting turned!  The quilt on the wood is delicious. I'm not sure if I can do red-purple dye on the quilt though. It might look pretty legit with the black dye as a base so i'll see what things look like after i get the black base sanded in.    

If you feel like voting, just post below what you would like to see...   a quilted maple cup that has quilts dyed black and grain as wood color or grains as a red-purple..?

Cheers fellow thunderpanters!

Marc

Jul 19, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #1,556 of 2,225

Quote:

If you feel like voting, just post below what you would like to see...   a quilted maple cup that has quilts dyed black and grain as wood color or grains as a red-purple..?

ooo.... Purple heart cups......mmm......

Expensive wood, but probably beautiful when finished with a tanner

Jul 19, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #1,558 of 2,225
My Smeggipuck cups are even more purple a year after. (They aren't woodied T50RP's, but when I eventually do get a pair, I'll be making some for them.)

Jul 19, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #1,559 of 2,225

Quote:
purple heart turns brown quickly

If you don't finish it correctly

But it's too solid and would be worse then plastic in that case

Jul 20, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #1,560 of 2,225

Quote:
I've never really weighed a set so can't say for sure. They're not lightweight though as the mass is part what lets the drivers work best. Having said that, the weight is well distributed so they don't feel as heavy on the head as one may think. Comfort is one of my primary goals is headphones, If I can't wear them all day there's not much point imo, and I'm one of the most picky people I know who puts comfort up there with sound quality as a prerequisite for good phones. That's why I spent so much time modding various old phones just to make them wearable. I'll try to get a set weighed though. The weight does vary a bit depending on wood types so there won't ever be a standard weight.

I guess the people here with a set can give you their thoughts on comfort as everyone's head is different.

I used to leave mine on for hours, even if i turned the music off, i'd get distracted and forget they were on, which is amazing b/c they're prettty bulky.  They are definitely very comfortable, and yes, the weight does not become bothersome. They dont put stress on any one part of your head. I should note mine had stax pads.. I've never tried other pads on them.  I can say this for a little contrast-  I have a feather weight pair of sennheiser px100's that i've been using lately, and i cant keep them on for more than 15 minutes (with no music playing) before my ears start to hurt. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back