Thunderpants!
May 19, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #1,412 of 2,225
Damping makes a really huge difference with orthos, whether a pair is overdamped or underdamped.

May 19, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #1,413 of 2,225

Quote:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/diy-orthodynamic-headphone-measurements-and-contest

they so ugly and their sound matches :)

This kicks ass.  I love the idea of this contest!  May the best DIY ortho win!  Or lose!  Or just look badass! 

Man all this really makes me want to start tinkering on my own, but not until I have a pair of Smeggy Thunderpants as a baseline to compare to. 

I don't suppose any of you ortho DIYers are in my area?  (Dallaw/Ft Worth, or just Texas in general)

May 19, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #1,415 of 2,225
Thanks for the reference!
Nice to see the Thunderpants measure as good as they sound.
The square waves are incredible.

Quote:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/diy-orthodynamic-headphone-measurements-and-contest

they so ugly and their sound matches :)

May 19, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #1,416 of 2,225

Quote:
This kicks ass.  I love the idea of this contest!  May the best DIY ortho win!  Or lose!  Or just look badass! 

Man all this really makes me want to start tinkering on my own, but not until I have a pair of Smeggy Thunderpants as a baseline to compare to. 

I don't suppose any of you ortho DIYers are in my area?  (Dallaw/Ft Worth, or just Texas in general)

im in austin

May 20, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #1,417 of 2,225

Quote:
Go for it, if nothing else it's fun :)

Anyway, I'm eliminating myself from the contest as I already have the LCD2 thanks to the generous folks here. I'm looking forward to see who wins.

you seemed to have made a typing error, let me help you with that..

Anyway, I'm eliminating myself from the contest because if i didnt no one else would stand a chance
biggrin.gif

May 20, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #1,419 of 2,225
cool video, good luck to everyone joining the contest!! I am not skilled enough to participate, Maybe I can make the worst one.  Btw was the first one on the video a smeggy thunderpants? 

May 20, 2011 at 3:14 AM Post #1,420 of 2,225
hmmm i suppose this is a contest for modded orthos with changed cups (woodied or otherwise), I really just want to measure the differences between the modded with stock cups and the TPs and woodified ones to see how much difference it makes.

May 20, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #1,422 of 2,225
Wow, thats really cool to see the whole damping scheme used for this high-end orthos. I noticed that the hifiman had a very dense looking sheet and then lots of cottony material. It seemed kind of like a compromise with damping the open orthos without loosing the openness. IIRC the openpants that have been much more conservatively damped than that. There were concerns that packing stuff under the grill would cause them to sound closed and defeat the purpose, but maybe with the right backing it could work? Just speculating.

May 22, 2011 at 4:44 AM Post #1,424 of 2,225
Question for the people who own the Thunderpants. What do you think is the best amp to make the Thunderpants "shine"? I know there's the Cavalli CTH which I am very interested in and it's in the ~$200-$300 price range that I'm looking for, but I prefer something that has a built-in DAC as well that has coaxial/optical inputs so I can use it with my Pure i20. Would something like the Audio-GD NFB-11/12 or the CKIII/CK^2IIIs work well? Any other suggestions are appreciated too, thanks!

May 22, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #1,425 of 2,225
I see you have the E7/E9 combo...that's all I'm using for my computer-based stuff and the E9 handles the job fine to my ears. I never go past 9 on low gain; my DT880 600ohm are harder to drive. I am however looking forward to trying with a few monoblock speaker amps I have once I recable.

Quote:
Question for the people who own the Thunderpants. What do you think is the best amp to make the Thunderpants "shine"? I know there's the Cavalli CTH which I am very interested in and it's in the ~$200-$300 price range that I'm looking for, but I prefer something that has a built-in DAC as well that has coaxial/optical inputs so I can use it with my Pure i20. Would something like the Audio-GD NFB-11/12 or the CKIII/CK^2IIIs work well? Any other suggestions are appreciated too, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back