Thunderpants!
Feb 16, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #1,186 of 2,225
tr50rp aint loud enough for a nightclub... I just tried
frown.gif

Feb 16, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #1,189 of 2,225
Feb 17, 2011 at 3:05 AM Post #1,191 of 2,225
Holy cow!  Can you say "tinnitis?" 

These are vented cans, so won't offer much isolation and are just not right for your application.  Even a closed can only provides a few more dB of isolation.  If the club is that loud you should just consider some crappy noise reducing cans so you can hear the essential music without going deaf.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 17, 2011 at 3:11 AM Post #1,192 of 2,225

Quote:
Holy cow!  Can you say "tinnitis?" 

These are vented cans, so won't offer much isolation and are just not right for your application.  Even a closed can only provides a few more dB of isolation.  If the club is that loud you should just consider some crappy noise reducing cans so you can hear the essential music without going deaf.  

im going to guess that you dont have the experience to back up this comment.  I do, and I would say thunderpants isolation rivals most IEM's, which also seems to be popular opinion from other thunderpants owners.

Though i can say that pads may play a big factor in this assessment.  Mine had Stax 02 pads, which i would guess added to their isolation abilities. 

Feb 17, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #1,193 of 2,225
That's your guess, and your guess is wrong, but I'm not going to get in an argument over my creds with you or anyone else.

There is always an exception to any general statement.  Maybe a woodie would cut it, I haven't tried every phone or every variant.  But reminence appears to want/need extreme volume and/or require unusual amounts of isolation.  On reflection, I'd think custom IEM's might really be a better call if the place is that loud.  Save the hearing...  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 17, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #1,194 of 2,225
Maybe my t50rp is faulty :S ( I know the wiring is dodgy and L-R dropps out at times)

I currently use my Xb700's to dj with, as they have a u shaped response with heaps of bass and the huge fluffy pads mean they isolate well and can sit on my ears in any way i choose (no need for swivels rotating cups etc)
It also is quite loud, perfect for djing. They can probably get a little too loud but its nice to have that headroom.

The t50rp that i tested in the small club is stock plus a little foam dampening, removed the felt on the back of drivers and using xb700 pads. I dont know if that has a big effect on the volume but there is a huge diference betwene the xb and the fostex.
I love my sony XB700, they only fall short on soundstage width and general audio crispness/quality.

I was in the process of asking smeggy to make me a thunderpants with paperstone, designed for bass quantity untill I found out it would not be loud enough..  :frowning2:

Now I am thinking an lcd2 mod (15watt power handling) is my only option for what I want

Any thoughts?

Feb 17, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #1,196 of 2,225
So what you are saying is your sources can't drive the T50rp right?  Because I doubt the drivers lack the power handling capability.  I'm really not clear what your issue is.  Power?  Isolation?  Combination of factors??

Feb 17, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #1,197 of 2,225
sony XB700 spec

Capacity (W)
Driver unit (mm)
Diaphragm
PET
Frequency (Hz)
3 - 28,000
Sensitivity (dB/mW)
Magnet
Neodymium (360kJ/m³)
Impedance (Ohm)

fostex t50rp spec

Max Power: 3,000 mW
Frequency Response: 15 - 30,000 Hz
Impedence: 50 ohms
Sensitivity: 98 dB / mW

So the XB has higher sensitivity and smaller ohms which im pretty sure both equate to being louder.

Feb 17, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #1,198 of 2,225

Quote:

The world doesn't need DJs that think more about their headphones than the music they mix.

LOL, this is generally true but I am a perfectionist when it comes to my work and having a more accurate detailed headphone will allow me to detect any musical anomalies well before my audience would notice them. I then can correct them before it gets really bad and my audience could hear the anomalies.   :D

On a further note, I use ableton live with a lot of my work which can end up becoming live remixing, which gets complex and having better phones helps even more.

Quote:
So what you are saying is your sources can't drive the T50rp right?  Because I doubt the drivers lack the power handling capability.  I'm really not clear what your issue is.  Power?  Isolation?  Combination of factors??

I was driving them from the pioneer djm800 mixer (not at max since it distorts before the volume knob maximum is reached). I also used my headstage arrow HE, which has the same effect at the same volume point. This leads me to believe the phones are distorting and not the source/amp/cables.

Feb 17, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #1,199 of 2,225

Quote:
sony XB700 spec

Capacity (W)
Driver unit (mm)
Diaphragm
PET
Frequency (Hz)
3 - 28,000
Sensitivity (dB/mW)
Magnet
Neodymium (360kJ/m³)
Impedance (Ohm)

fostex t50rp spec

Max Power: 3,000 mW
Frequency Response: 15 - 30,000 Hz
Impedence: 50 ohms
Sensitivity: 98 dB / mW

So the XB has higher sensitivity and smaller ohms which im pretty sure both equate to being louder.

To be more specific it means the T50rp needs more power to attain the same volume.  It doesn't mean the Sony can handle more power w/o distortion.  Look at max power v. capacity.  Same.  I bet you you'll blow the Sony drivers before the Fostex.

Feb 17, 2011 at 1:56 PM Post #1,200 of 2,225
I figured some folks here might have some interest in taking a look at the Smeggy made Bloodwood Thunderpants I picked up in December. They sound amazing, and my wife appreciates my using a closed can. Thanks Smegs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back