Thunderpants!
Apr 24, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #2,176 of 2,225
I can offer my experience with recabling my Thunderpants. After about a year of having the mighty TP1s the cable where it comes out the left ear speaker started to break. You could see bare copper. This really annoyed me that within a little over a year and the headphones started to fall apart. I could have done the recabling myself, but decided to send them off to Brian at BTG audio for two reasons -- 1) Yes, the cables are glued in and have to be drilled out. 2) I figured BTG could deal with the mod because he does this day in day out with a whole slew of different headphones. When done, he mentioned that it was a little difficult to do because they were glued in. The end result was fantastic for what he was working with. He offers a bunch of options and can pretty much do anything you need in terms of balanced/unbalanced etc. Here's his site: http://btg-audio.webs.com/ Under normal circumstances I would have left smeggy's cable because I don't believe in boutique snake oil cables.

Apr 24, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #2,177 of 2,225
Quote:
I can offer my experience with recabling my Thunderpants. After about a year of having the mighty TP1s the cable where it comes out the left ear speaker started to break. You could see bare copper. This really annoyed me that within a little over a year and the headphones started to fall apart. I could have done the recabling myself, but decided to send them off to Brian at BTG audio for two reasons -- 1) Yes, the cables are glued in and have to be drilled out. 2) I figured BTG could deal with the mod because he does this day in day out with a whole slew of different headphones. When done, he mentioned that it was a little difficult to do because they were glued in. The end result was fantastic for what he was working with. He offers a bunch of options and can pretty much do anything you need in terms of balanced/unbalanced etc. Here's his site: http://btg-audio.webs.com/ Under normal circumstances I would have left smeggy's cable because I don't believe in boutique snake oil cables.

Thanks.  I've seen BTG's work, and its reassuring that's he's cracked open TP1s before.  I might go this route.

Apr 25, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #2,178 of 2,225
Quote:

Thanks.  I've seen BTG's work, and its reassuring that's he's cracked open TP1s before.  I might go this route.

Nice resource, will keep this in mind in case my cabling ever fails

May 28, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #2,180 of 2,225
So...I guess Mike of Headfonia was lent a pair of these by a Fostex rep. He's now posted a review (even though he admits that he's "not even sure Smeggy still makes Thunderpants").

I know a lot of people here don't take Headfonia reviews seriously, but there's a paragraph near the end that contained information I thought was interesting. Bolded for emphasis:

Quote:
Again, none of the other modded T50RPs I know come even close to this. I haven’t heard the Paradox (Valentin did the review) so I can’t comment on that one, but Thunderpants stand on a league closer to the $1K modern orthos rather than simply a modded T50RP. There is a reason, after all, that Fostex refused to sell me this Thunderpants as they specifically mentioned about using the Thunderpants for their research department.

Not sure what to make of that if true.

May 28, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #2,181 of 2,225
Quote:
So...I guess Mike of Headfonia was lent a pair of these by a Fostex rep. He's now posted a review (even though he admits that he's "not even sure Smeggy still makes Thunderpants").

I know a lot of people here don't take Headfonia reviews seriously, but there's a paragraph near the end that contained information I thought was interesting. Bolded for emphasis:

Not sure what to make of that if true.

A little bit of Thunderpants in the TH900/TH600?

Sep 5, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #2,184 of 2,225
Closest new phones would be Mad Dog Alphas

Sep 5, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #2,186 of 2,225
  smeggy isnt make these anymore?

No, he has been offline for quite some time now.

I am enjoying mine, but if they break I don't know how I would get them repaired.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back