Thunderpants!
Jul 17, 2010 at 1:33 AM Post #16 of 2,225

Quote:
Hey guys, can anyone tell me how much thicker the O2 pads are than the stock pads? My ears stick out some so im trying to keep the drivers off of them xD

dont know why i didnt think of this sooner *pulls out measuring tape* 

on the thick side the o2 is 1" - which is where your ears stick out more - so probably the side to be concerned with
on the thin side 1/4"

again.. if you are actually referring to a pair of thunderpants, im not sure why having your ears touch the material on the inside of the pad would cause alarm
that layer of material is still pretty far from the drivers, at least it is on my pair
oops, just noticed you were talking about stock cans..

of course there is a much more elegant solution... send them to smeggy and get some thunder in those pants!!!

Jul 17, 2010 at 1:44 AM Post #17 of 2,225
no one has posted their Thunderpants photos besides me!!  c-mon people! show some love!  THUNDERPANTS PHOTOS 

(everything ends in engage now after i read that oatmeal - riding a polar bear comic.)

also - lets hear about what gear ya'll are pushin them pants with... amp? dac? etc...

im workin on gettin myself a shiny new dac.. hopefully comin through on an  Eastern Electric MiniMax Tube DAC
my cavalli CTH should be coming soon!! yippeeee! cant wait to hear it

currently runin a keces 151 mkII and a hifiman ef5... sounds fantastic

what has really taken my TP's over the edge is the parametric eq and isone pro.. those two vst's bring these cans into perfect balance, and throw the soundstage across the room!!!  whoOOO!!

bye the way just to prod everyone a bit...  if you own thunderpants, then you own cans that are modded out the....pants!  ... so there is no excuse not to try an eq plugin such as electri-q or my personal pick - nyquist.. both free by the way.. to fix those imbalances... its just another mod... and happens to be a heck of an effective one!  best mod ive ever done!!!

Jul 20, 2010 at 12:22 AM Post #19 of 2,225
well the Cavalli CTH came today, and proceeded to Trounce the hifiman EF5 
wink_face.gif
  I've been thoroughly  enjoying it all day and night... and day again.. yikes time to go to bed
wink_face.gif

Smeggy was right.. CTH+THUNDERPANTS is an excellent match.

Jul 20, 2010 at 10:16 AM Post #21 of 2,225

Quote:
wink_face.gif
  I've been thoroughly  enjoying it all day and night... and day again.. yikes time to go to bed
wink_face.gif

My only exposure to the EF5 was at the CJ in Chicagoland recently.  I spent maybe half an hour overall listening to it powering to an HE4/HE5 at Fang's table.  He graciously let me listen as long as I did.  There were some nice attributes to the EF5, but overall, the presentation was thin to these ears.  At the time I attributed that to the cans and not the amp.  I just recently borrowed a pair of HE-5LEs to listen to and am enjoying them now.  They exhibit a completely different character being powered by my Asgard than they did from the EF5 or even the stacker that I heard previously.  I'll comment more after I've listened more at length.

Jul 20, 2010 at 11:08 AM Post #22 of 2,225

Quote:
wink_face.gif
wink_face.gif

Excellent!  Glad to hear you went with the CTH instead of the SOHA.  You can step up to an EHHA later if you start getting the urge to get more power. 

Jul 21, 2010 at 12:30 AM Post #23 of 2,225
Does smeggy do anything to the drivers or does he just make the wood cups out of amboyna burl and upgrade the ear pads? 

Jul 21, 2010 at 2:03 AM Post #25 of 2,225
hmmn.. Im starting to think this might be a fun DIY project...  Time to go sift through that Ortho roundup thread.

How would you rank the Thunderpants against the other closed Can giants (w5000, d7000, L3000)? 

Jul 21, 2010 at 2:07 AM Post #26 of 2,225
ive never heard anything except d2000, ath-w1000x, and hd555.   They definately sounded much better than any of those.

some people say they are the best closed sounding can period..

Jul 21, 2010 at 2:10 AM Post #27 of 2,225
Oh my sweet Jesus!!! That friggin thread is 1000 pages long! Maybe I should just go and ask Smeggy lol. 

Jul 21, 2010 at 3:43 AM Post #29 of 2,225
Cool! Thanks, I found it. I'm totally doing this! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back