Thunderpants! A world-class closed planar magnetic headphone by Head-Fi'er "Smeggy" - Head-Fi TV, Episode 012
Sep 21, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #16 of 127
So the results Smeggy is getting are consistent between pairs and wasn't just a fluke with that one Tyll measured?  Nice.  Now, someone just needs to compare the Koss ESP950 and the Smeggy's Thunderpants...  Hey Tyll, has anyone sent you a pair of the Koss yet?  I haven't got one to send and haven't shipped off that box of cans yet due to having the flu.

Sep 21, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #17 of 127
The most beautiful cans IMO. I must own a pair. When I finish playing around with my own T50RP modding one of my sets will go to Smeggy to be Thunderized.

edit: joined the Thunderpants group buy

Sep 21, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #18 of 127
Thanks for posting your review on Smeggy's Thunderpants Jude. The Thunderpants remains as one of my favorite set of cans, I have a curly Koa wood set that I currently use at work and I'm seriously considering getting another pair from Smeggy for home use.

Sep 21, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #19 of 127
Looks like a worthy headphone to add to an aficionado's collection. Gotta love the craftsmanship of the wood. Boutique and attractive in the looks department. Would look nice with a wood based turntable. With that combination, it's gotta be an audiophile delight with class.

Sep 21, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #20 of 127

Quote:
I cannot echo Jude's recommendation of these headphones strongly enough.  I had the great pleasure of visiting Smeggy in his home for a little inside tour of his work recently, and I can only say that I walked away stunned at what I heard.  As Jude said, they may not be up to the level of performance of $1000 open cans, but I don't think I've heard a better pair of sealed cans ... ever.

I too give the Thunderpants my strongest recommendation.  

Thanks so much, Jude, for shining a light on this spectacular product and maker ... it's well deserved.

I'll also mention I recieved a kit from Gary and will soon be making and reviewing the product.  I can't wait.

Wow! When did you get your kit?

Has anyone else gotten one?

Sep 21, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #22 of 127
Congrats Smeggy, and great job again Jude!

Edit: you may have started a movement of da people Jude!  haha  I hope smeggy can keep up!

Sep 21, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #26 of 127

Quote:
for those who are interested, a group buy thread has just been opened for these.  Save $100.

here's the link... http://www.head-fi.org/t/572793/thunderpants-t50rp-mod-group-buy

Sep 22, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #28 of 127
Looks like I have found my next pair of closed cans to replace my T5P, and it won't be the ED8. 

Sep 22, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #29 of 127

Quote:
it looks extremely beautiful....i'm thinking about getting one for my own.....but anyone know is there any improvement in the sound quality compare to the Fostex T50RP?????????

That is the whole point of it. The stock Fostex is a midrangey mess.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FostexT50RP2011A.pdf

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FostexT50RP2011B.pdf

Turned into this:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FostexT50RPDSmeggyThunderpantsontherivet.pdf

Assuming, of course, this one was not a fluke.  I'd love to see more of Smeggy's tested.

Aside from some slightly elevated distortion on the left channel at lower volumes (which might have been present on that driver prior to the modding) they don't even test like the same can. Granted, they're not the same unit, but there's definitely proveable consistency shown on the stock units. So it would have tested like that before. It's frankly baffling what can be done with the driver and just how terrible the stock housing actually is. Fostex seems to have made zero effort on the final headphone. All the design and research went into the driver itself and they just slapped into an existing housing design, weird pre-existing cable & headband, one sealed version, one with the vent open. Viola: one T40RPmk2, one T50RP. I'd be surprised if they even listened to the final headphone. Whoever at Foster came up with that driver must have been slaving in some basement lab totally unappreciated, and they certainly didn't get a say in the final headphones. Some crazy genius who might never see the light of day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back