Thunderpants! A world-class closed planar magnetic headphone by Head-Fi'er "Smeggy" - Head-Fi TV, Episode 012
Sep 22, 2011 at 1:52 AM Post #32 of 127
Is the cable replaceable? If so how is it terminated? Would like to use it with the SR71B. Many thanks.

Sep 22, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #33 of 127
The cable isn't replaceable as the cups don't have enough room inside for connectors and it's also a lot more work, so at this stage, no. The weight varies with wood type but I've been working at lowering the weight. They're not lightweight phones as the drivers themselves are pretty heavy, add wood and fittings and it adds up. The comfort is still very good because of good weight distribution.

Sep 22, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #34 of 127
Berry interesting. That big notch in the mids is worrying to me though. Do they have the "smile" curve sound? Tyll hasn't measured a Lawton Denon, but the stock Denon 5000 with Jmoney pads measures flat as a board, though its square waves and isolation definitely aren't as good.

Sep 22, 2011 at 3:27 AM Post #35 of 127
I am in. You have led me to the fountain and I am ready to drink :)

Sep 22, 2011 at 8:02 AM Post #36 of 127
looks so nice!
L3000.gif

Sep 22, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #37 of 127
So to all who have this, what would you all say would be good to drive this baby?

Sep 22, 2011 at 2:02 PM Post #38 of 127
Cavalli Audio Compact tube hybrid amplifier with a TFRPBG 6F8G or 6CG7 clear top synergizes very well with this headphone. The smegster loves this combo too.

Sep 22, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #39 of 127
Does it come with large or small headphone plug? With the closed back design I am quite interested to use it as a walk around headphone. I have the CLAS, Fostex and several portable amps but I prefer just using iPhone on the go. How does it sound straight out of an iPhone?

Sep 22, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #40 of 127
If any of you guys are looking to get a set, there is a group buy currently going on at a substantial discount here. You can have them terminated with 1/8", 1/4" or 4 pin XLR.

I use mine as a portable all the time, mostly running directly off my ipod nano. So pretty much anything will drive them reasonably but obviously, the better the source/amp, the better they will sound.

Sep 22, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #41 of 127
Gorgeous headphones--do want, ever so much. Wish my wallet was as capable of speedy regeneration as my gear lust is.

Sep 22, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #42 of 127

Quote:
Great that the Thunderpants get some well deserved exposure. Btw, what about amping them? Are they hungry?

My big amps will drive it more ideally, but most of the portable amps I use with over-ear headphones (lately the Ray Samuels Audio SR-71b, Fostex HP-P1, ALO Audio Continental, and Practical Devices XM-6) will drive it well.

As I type this, I'm at a coffee house driving my Thunderpants TP1 with a Fostex HP-P1.

Sep 22, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #43 of 127
Hmm... Good to know, though what I wanted to know is whether they go "K701" when not fed properly? Or are they well when driven with less power but prone to scalability?

Quote:

My big amps will drive it more ideally, but most of the portable amps I use with over-ear headphones (lately the Ray Samuels Audio SR-71b, Fostex HP-P1, ALO Audio Continental, and Practical Devices XM-6) will drive it well.

As I type this, I'm at a coffee house driving my Thunderpants TP1 with a Fostex HP-P1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back