Thunderpants! A world-class closed planar magnetic headphone by Head-Fi'er "Smeggy" - Head-Fi TV, Episode 012
Sep 22, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #47 of 127
I just wanted to post to say that I am intrigued. . . but I would have to DIY or buy the kit b/c I couldn't afford it otherwise. 

Sep 22, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #48 of 127

Quote:
The cable isn't replaceable as the cups don't have enough room inside for connectors and it's also a lot more work, so at this stage, no. The weight varies with wood type but I've been working at lowering the weight. They're not lightweight phones as the drivers themselves are pretty heavy, add wood and fittings and it adds up. The comfort is still very good because of good weight distribution.

As so many of us already have expensive recables for the HD800 or the LCD2, if is possible to rewire the driver with a short nicer wire and then terminate the pigtail right outside the cup with a LCD2/HD800 type of connectors.  That way, we can use out own nice cables.  Or may be I can sent it to Ken/ALO or Moon audio for this remodeling?  Just hoping.

Sep 22, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #49 of 127
People who need a closed headphone should definitely consider the Thunderpants.  I don't really like closed headphones, the only two I think are good are the Stax 4070 and the Thunderpants.  Plus, Smeggy is the man :)

Sep 22, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #50 of 127
As so many of us already have expensive recables for the HD800 or the LCD2, if is possible to rewire the driver with a short nicer wire and then terminate the pigtail right outside the cup with a LCD2/HD800 type of connectors.  That way, we can use out own nice cables.  Or may be I can sent it to Ken/ALO or Moon audio for this remodeling?  Just hoping.

This type of request is outside the realms of the group buy discount, even if ordered normally this would be an extra cost thing, same as with expensive woods, they are things that add to the cost of the phones because of extra expense and time on my side. Also, speaking personally, swappable cables rarely seem like a good thing simply because you are replacing a wire-solder-driver system with wire-solder-connector-solder-flying lead-solder-driver system. No matter what wire you use at the front end, it will still be a degradation from a direct connect system simply because of all the junk at the back end the signal has to contend with. More connectors and joints than necessary in the signal path is never good and I've never understood why people think it's ok to do it with 'phones... but I digress. I guess for me it doesn't make sense from an electrical standpoint. Then again, I've never been noted for my brains :p

Anyway, the wire can be replaced but not easily as I fix them in place with CA glue to ensure they are strongly held in place. The drivers solder pads are very delicate and don't tolerate much pulling before they pop clean off the circuit board, so I try to ensure that the wires cannot move or rotate at the cup entry. It's a pita but the only way I can ensure they don't destroy the phones if the cables get yanked of twisted. I'm generally aiming for resilience based on how rough I am with my own phones.

If you can remind me at the time, I'll see if I can rig up an easier way to replace the cable for you that doesn't endanger the drivers.

Sep 22, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #52 of 127
By flying lead-solder-driver, do you mean the type of connection you'd make to have a single entry cable?

No, referring to the standard cup connector types. Any cup with a connector will have small flying leads to the drivers. Many phones have them like the HE's Audeze, Fostex, Sennheiser etc. Now, I'm not saying I know better, just that to me it seems like less joints/connectors is better than more where a signal is concerned. For pro use, replaceable cables are a necessity, for domestic use, less so.

Sep 22, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #53 of 127
Very cool.  I think it's a little unfair to compare these to the best open back headphones on the market, because they are closed and so they're subjected to different limitations.  But great episode!

Sep 23, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #56 of 127
^ ditto. I don't know what direction the TP2 would go if there were to be one, since the various open style models that have been experimented with around here "reportedly" haven't been to stellar.

Exciting stuff to see these take off   <-- I wanted to insert a thunderpants smiley but it seems we don't have such an image... hmmm

woo for 500th post in 4 years! haha im such a gomer...

M

Sep 23, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #58 of 127
Dude, I have filled in the form - but my alias is mispelt on the list in this thread - my alias is googleli not googeli.

As I have said in the form, I hope there won't be any compromise due to the discount - if there will be any compromise, let me know and I am happy to order at the full price.

Many thanks!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back