Thunderpants! A world-class closed planar magnetic headphone by Head-Fi'er "Smeggy" - Head-Fi TV, Episode 012
Sep 25, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #76 of 127

Quote:
Makes me wonder if anyone can turn the Beats into something listenable...

If I can ever get my hands on a cheap shell, I've been wanting to replace the drivers with some orthos and then replace the noise cancellation circuit with a small amp like the e6 or something.

Quote:
just shave off the name and let an audiophile listen to it blind.  Instantly becomes more balanced throughout the spectrum, better transients, less bloat.

... and it'll still sound unimpressive and not worth the price.

Sep 26, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #77 of 127
Does 55 dollars count as cheap? I found this site that sells fake beats called lowesshop.com. If you have the money, you can mod w/e u want to with that (although I don't know if they're so bad that they'll take your money and never give you your fake headphones...).

Quote:
If I can ever get my hands on a cheap shell, I've been wanting to replace the drivers with some orthos and then replace the noise cancellation circuit with a small amp like the e6 or something.

... and it'll still sound unimpressive and not worth the price.

Sep 26, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #78 of 127
Yeah, dhgate is another one that's like that (and does shipping to Canada). I dunno... if I go that route, I might as well toss in an extra $10 to get the metal Pro version...

Sep 26, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #79 of 127
Wow... I'm interested.

Unfortunately, I'm a bit of a basshead, so I don't know if the sound signature would be satisfying. The balance of mids and highs sounds like it would be great, but I want something that has a really full low-end, that hits pretty hard.

Any idea if there's a hope that these might satisfy me? lol

Sep 27, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #80 of 127
I read in the thunderpants thread they were really bassheavy lol. . . 

Can someone provide a much more detailed description of the sound than in the video? Although I suppose I could just go look though that thread. 

Jude is rather vague. . . 

Sep 27, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #81 of 127
Always difficult to describe sound characteristics in words, and personal preferences always play a large part.
Thunderpants have best in class bass extension and impact, which are somewhat rare IMO in the high end headphone world.
The sound is more like what one would expect from an excellent set of speakers than from what one would typically expect from headphones.
If you are looking for something like the Dres (which I have heard) though you will be disappointed.
The Dres have a broad rise in the low frequencies and a choppy upper mid and recessed top octave
http://www.headphone.com/headphones/noise-cancelling/monster-beats-by-dre-studio.php

If you want extremely accurate, hard hitting bass though, the Thuderpants won't let you down. My reference is my home theater with dual professional subwoofers (see my sig) and the Thunderpants hold up very well in comparison, which is why I like them so much. Note that I listen to quite a bit of rock so bass performance is extremely important to me.

Quote:

Can someone provide a much more detailed description of the sound than in the video? Although I suppose I could just go look though that thread. 

Sep 27, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #82 of 127

Quote:

Satellite_6, this is going to be brief (because I'm in a meeting), but I hope it helps to at least answer the specific question you're asking.

The Thunderpants is not bass-heavy.  Of course, I can only speak for the one I've got, but mine has good extension without bass overemphasis.  It's also not bass-light.  I'd call it neutral through the bass, with deep extension.

I hope that helps.

Sep 27, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #83 of 127
Agreed with the two previous responses above. I wouldn't say the Thunderpants are bass-heavy or a basshead set of cans as compared to a set Darth Beyers which I also own. Indeed there is more than enough bass in the Thunderpants, it also has some slam and extends low. However bass isn't the main focus of the Thunderpants, as Jude has mentioned in the video the Thunderpants is a balanced set of cans. Bass is nicely balanced along with the mids and doesn't overpower it.

Sep 27, 2011 at 4:18 PM Post #84 of 127

Quote:
Agreed with the two previous responses above. I wouldn't say the Thunderpants are bass-heavy or a basshead set of cans as compared to a set Darth Beyers which I also own. Indeed there is more than enough bass in the Thunderpants, it also has some slam and extends low. However bass isn't the main focus of the Thunderpants, as Jude has mentioned in the video the Thunderpants is a balanced set of cans. Bass is nicely balanced along with the mids and doesn't overpower it.

Let's say that I'm a bass-head, and want high-end audio... Would you recommend these "Darth Beyers"? After a quick search (and I mean REALLY quick), they seem like they're pretty awesome.

Sep 27, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #85 of 127

Quote:
Let's say that I'm a bass-head, and want high-end audio... Would you recommend these "Darth Beyers"? After a quick search (and I mean REALLY quick), they seem like they're pretty awesome.

If bass is the main focus you're looking for in a set of cans, and I do mean deep can rattling slamming bass then yes do check them out

Sep 27, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #86 of 127

Quote:

Satellite_6, this is going to be brief (because I'm in a meeting), but I hope it helps to at least answer the specific question you're asking.

The Thunderpants is not bass-heavy.  Of course, I can only speak for the one I've got, but mine has good extension without bass overemphasis.  It's also not bass-light.  I'd call it neutral through the bass, with deep extension.

I hope that helps.

Sounds good. Me want. :) 

Sep 27, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #87 of 127

Quote:
If bass is the main focus you're looking for in a set of cans, and I do mean deep can rattling slamming bass then yes do check them out

Well, I'm pretty much looking to upgrade from Monster Turbine Pro Golds. If you've listened to them, then you'd know the bass is pretty siiick. It's tough to find high-end headphones that have that awesome rattling bass.

Sep 28, 2011 at 9:50 AM Post #90 of 127

Quote:
I hope Jude understands the additional demands he put on Smeggy.  Business will either boom or the wait time will increase.  Great vid as usual...

Or if he's smart, he'll raise the price to $695, to control demand.  That's what they're worth IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back