Thunderpants! A world-class closed planar magnetic headphone by Head-Fi'er "Smeggy" - Head-Fi TV, Episode 012
Oct 2, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #106 of 127
wow, that picasa web link was insane! cool cool!

Oct 4, 2011 at 2:41 AM Post #107 of 127

Quote:
The simple fact of the matter is that I make them to sound how I like them to sound, I have no test gear and no way to measure anything, I do it by ear. It was never my intention to try to get a ruler flat response, just something I like the sound of. I'm not an audio engineer, scientist or anything else. I'm an audio enthusiast who enjoys making headphones that I like listening to. I never intended this to become a business but I had few choices once I got laid off from my game developer job. I didn't want to go back into that after 12 long years so I made the choice of doing this as it's what I enjoy doing most.
I have no manufacturing facilities, just my small workshop in the garage (yes, it's an actual garage business
smily_headphones1.gif
) where it's all done by hand, so if people are looking for tight manufacturing tolerances, total predictability and uniform production, that's not me. Each set is a new experiment, each week brings new things to try out and each set is it's own individual project. Not all sets will be made the same and not all will measure the same for those reasons.
So when considering these, you'll have to bear all that in mind.
Hope that helps define things
smily_headphones1.gif

Smeggy, that's is completely honest and totally refreshing. Your candor is appreciated as is the final product. Hopefully, I'll be able to get my hands on a set, as they sound amazing without ever having touched my ears, but life is that little thing that's currently in the way. :) Keep up the good work. I wish you the best.

Oct 16, 2011 at 8:39 AM Post #109 of 127
even though, Smeggy seems to be buried with orders, as in the website everything is "sold", stays for a long time. I have been myself considering them as a second pair for music listning. Since, they look terrific and closed, ahhh woodiess 
happy_face1.gif

Oct 16, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #110 of 127
Yes, getting totally swamped and it'll probably be a little while before I have anything up for sale on the site again due to the orders I have to complete. On the positive side, I have been updating my workshop with bigger and better tools to do things faster and working in batches of parts where I can, so things will be speeding up as time goes on. I've had to totally rethink how I go about making them as the old way was very slow and inefficient. All these orders have pushed past the limits of what I could do previously with my (mostly) hobby grade tools. So now I'm gearing up with more pro level stuff which is more up to the task.

It has meant a slowdown of some orders while I get all this in place and rethink my methods. I'm going as fast as I can, devising new procedures and so on takes some time to get right but I'm getting up to speed with it :)

Oct 20, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #111 of 127

Quote:
Yes, getting totally swamped and it'll probably be a little while before I have anything up for sale on the site again due to the orders I have to complete. On the positive side, I have been updating my workshop with bigger and better tools to do things faster and working in batches of parts where I can, so things will be speeding up as time goes on. I've had to totally rethink how I go about making them as the old way was very slow and inefficient. All these orders have pushed past the limits of what I could do previously with my (mostly) hobby grade tools. So now I'm gearing up with more pro level stuff which is more up to the task.

It has meant a slowdown of some orders while I get all this in place and rethink my methods. I'm going as fast as I can, devising new procedures and so on takes some time to get right but I'm getting up to speed with it :)

I'm really happy things are going well for you now!

Dec 8, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #113 of 127
So if you say that the Thunderpants fall just slightly short of world class headphones like the HD-800, LCD-2, HE-6, HE-500 then does this mean that they still surpass headphones like HD-6X0, K701, DT-880, SA-5000 and such?

Jan 2, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #114 of 127
I recently picked up a set of Thunderpants.. I couldn't be happier.. they are amazing.. 

Feb 2, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #115 of 127
So if you say that the Thunderpants fall just slightly short of world class headphones like the HD-800, LCD-2, HE-6, HE-500 then does this mean that they still surpass headphones like HD-6X0, K701, DT-880, SA-5000 and such?

Sorry for bringing back a thread from the dead, but there're a lot of people on this thread with these headphones...can anyone compare them? Specifically on terms of clarity and resolution? I wanna know about the detail on these...and of they sound congested because they're closed...

Kojaku

Feb 2, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #116 of 127

Quote:
Sorry for bringing back a thread from the dead, but there're a lot of people on this thread with these headphones...can anyone compare them? Specifically on terms of clarity and resolution? I wanna know about the detail on these...and of they sound congested because they're closed...
Kojaku

+1

Feb 27, 2012 at 9:30 AM Post #118 of 127
Crazy question: anyone ever balance these babies??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back