Three Brand New Earphones: Sony IER-Z1R, IER-M9 and IER-M7
Feb 27, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #781 of 1,485
Can anyone give some impressions vs SE846? Compare to M7 and M9 as well?
I'm hoping to upgrade but not sure about isolation and comfort and sound signature :)

Feb 27, 2019 at 11:30 PM Post #782 of 1,485
Is M7/M9 enjoyable/fun like the Z5 dynamically? Or too flat?
I can only speak on the M9, as it's the only one out of the IEMs you mentioned that I own, but YES. It's very fun. From what I understand, the M7 is the more neutral of the two IER models. The M9 has fun, deep amazing bass and a sparkly treble to boot. To say I love mine would be an understatement.

Mar 6, 2019 at 7:35 PM Post #784 of 1,485
Still inception of its releases sadly, none seems to be in the hands of reviewers... can someone send @Currawong a pair~? :wink:

Mar 7, 2019 at 3:02 AM Post #785 of 1,485
Still inception of its releases sadly, none seems to be in the hands of reviewers... can someone send @Currawong a pair~? :wink:

I met the engineers last year. I need to sort something out.

Mar 8, 2019 at 3:55 PM Post #786 of 1,485
I just got my IER-M7 today. Damn, these follow my preferred response for IEMs pretty well, being a bit of lift towards the sub-bass; flat throughout the midrange; and dipping around the lower treble and treble region. If I were to nitpick, there's just a tad bit too much mid-bass and upper treble energy for me but otherwise nothing bothersome.

I was searching for an upgrade to my ER3XR and these are pretty much just that. Warm, smooth, with a (IMO) natural timbre and tonality. I've briefly owned the Andromeda a while back and I can say I like the M7's a lot more, being smoother; no hissing (as far as I can detect); and better noise isolation. Problems I had with the Andromeda: hissing, moisture build-up on nozzle, too bright around 8-10 kHz, and relatively average noise isolation.

I'm not sure if this has been talked about yet but I don't really like the "little" storage case these come with. It opens and closes like a ring case since it has no zipper.

In any case, I'm really enjoying these so far.

IER-M7.jpg

Mar 8, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #787 of 1,485
I just got my IER-M7 today. Damn, these follow my preferred response for IEMs pretty well, being a bit of lift towards the sub-bass; flat throughout the midrange; and dipping around the lower treble and treble region. If I were to nitpick, there's just a tad bit too much mid-bass and upper treble energy for me but otherwise nothing bothersome.

I was searching for an upgrade to my ER3XR and these are pretty much just that. Warm, smooth, with a (IMO) natural timbre and tonality. I've briefly owned the Andromeda a while back and I can say I like the M7's a lot more, being smoother; no hissing (as far as I can detect); and better noise isolation. Problems I had with the Andromeda: hissing, moisture build-up on nozzle, too bright around 8-10 kHz, and relatively average noise isolation.

I'm not sure if this has been talked about yet but I don't really like the "little" storage case these come with. It opens and closes like a ring case since it has no zipper.

In any case, I'm really enjoying these so far.

Mind me asking why you didn't go for the M9 one?

Mar 8, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #788 of 1,485
Mind me asking why you didn't go for the M9 one?

Biggest factor for me is that I found these for a good price :wink:

Also, it seems from measurements that the M9 is brighter up top and I was afraid that I won't like that. I haven't heard the M9 to compare though.

Mar 8, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #789 of 1,485

Also, it seems from measurements that the M9 is brighter up top and I was afraid that I won't like that. I haven't heard the M9 to compare though.
Guess you can buy the M9 next month and let us know.

Mar 8, 2019 at 5:56 PM Post #790 of 1,485
Guess you can buy the M9 next month and let us know.

Or someone can send me a pair for comparison :wink:

I do have a MiniDSP EARS that I use to measure. Accuracy is questionable.

Mar 8, 2019 at 8:50 PM Post #792 of 1,485

hmm....i wonder if it's worth to upgrade from se846 to M7. I also felt Andro was a tad bit too bright for my ears and quite uncomfortable for small ears so I skipped them.
how is the isolation compare to shure/westone?

Mar 8, 2019 at 9:11 PM Post #793 of 1,485
hmm....i wonder if it's worth to upgrade from se846 to M7. I also felt Andro was a tad bit too bright for my ears and quite uncomfortable for small ears so I skipped them.
how is the isolation compare to shure/westone?

I haven't tried a Shure or Westone IEM in years so I don't remember to be honest. I haven't heard the SE846.

Edit: When I go out and about tomorrow, I'll be able to really comment on its noise isolation.

Fitment with the M7 might be a little finicky. Initially, the earpieces touch my concha which was a bit uncomfortable. However, it seems like there are longer variants of each tip size that solves that problem for me. YMMV.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2019 at 9:19 PM Post #794 of 1,485
I haven't tried a Shure or Westone IEM in years so I don't remember to be honest. I haven't heard the SE846.

Fitment with the M7 might be a little finicky. Initially, the earpieces touch my concha which was a bit uncomfortable. However, it seems like the tips have longer variants of some tip sizes which solved that problem for me. YMMV.
For sure. It literally took me a month and two different 3rd party tips to figure out that I preferred the included Sony tips and to figure out how to insert them and position them in my ear. I've got it all figured out now though. I would write it out here exactly what I do but to be honest it's pointless. What works best for me most likely won't work best for you. I will say this though: you don't want to insert them in a way which causes them to have a suction effect upon removal. If you insert them in a way which causes an air tight seal, the soundstage, bass and details are most certainly suffering.

Mar 19, 2019 at 8:08 AM Post #795 of 1,485

Having both M7 and M9 for months and recently Z1R, M7 is now my most used. I listen about half of the time to classical and half to rock and other stuff. M9 has a little too much bass, and mids less presence. M7 tone is a beauty and can listen for many hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back