Three Brand New Earphones: Sony IER-Z1R, IER-M9 and IER-M7
Feb 2, 2019 at 3:48 AM Post #751 of 1,487
I have a custom cable on a Z5 and it is on tight. I will not take it off as I am afraid of breaking the connector on the cable. I already broke one connector on the cable side before. Most of the connectors are really tight unless it's the sony upgrade cables.

Feb 2, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #752 of 1,487
Oh damn thanks my dudes! The M9 is my first IEM with MMCX connections so I'm a noob at this. So it's not just the Sony IEMs with shoddy MMCX connections, this is a problem with MMCX connections in general?

Feb 2, 2019 at 11:00 PM Post #753 of 1,487
I did find I could easily get the IEMs and cable in the case while still connected. I use the little rubber case insert just to keep everything tidy but I imagine it would be even easier without it.

Have people had connection issues with the M7 or M9 specifically or is this just a general precaution when dealing with MMCX connectors?

Feb 3, 2019 at 3:26 AM Post #754 of 1,487
I did find I could easily get the IEMs and cable in the case while still connected. I use the little rubber case insert just to keep everything tidy but I imagine it would be even easier without it.

Have people had connection issues with the M7 or M9 specifically or is this just a general precaution when dealing with MMCX connectors?

Rendered my Z5's useless { the right one anyway} from being swapped between the regular and the balanced kimber cables Do it only when necessary as most of these issues won't be fixed by Sony only replaced if you have the proof of purchase and it's happened within the first year.

Feb 3, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #755 of 1,487
Anyone here uses the M9 or M7 with Final Audio Type E eartips? Any impressions?

I have been interested in buying new eartips for my M9, especially eartips from Final Audio.

We can get every size of their tips by spending $30 to buy Final Audio E1000. I have heard that these are a beast in $30 price range. Moreover, we can have another set of IEM for exercising or something risky that you will never want to do with expensive stuff like the M7, M9 or Z1R.

I didn't say stock tips are bad. I just want to find the greatest matching.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2019 at 11:16 PM Post #756 of 1,487
Anyone here uses the M9 or M7 with Final Audio Type E eartips? Any impressions?

I have been interested in buying new eartips for my M9, especially eartips from Final Audio.

We can get every size of their tips by spending $30 to buy Final Audio E1000. I have heard that these are a beast in $30 price range. Moreover, we can have another set of IEM for exercising or something risky that you will never want to do with expensive stuff like the M7, M9 or Z1R.

I didn't say stock tips are bad. I just want to find the greatest matching.
Let us know how it goes with those. I've got some Spiral Dots on the way and have already tried some Spin Fits. The Spin fits fit way better than the stock tips and they also don't get crimped in my ears when I look down real sharp or turn my head any kind of way. The stocks can sometimes get crimped in my ear canal and block sound from coming in I look down real hard. The problem with the Spin Fits is they decreased the bass response and soundstage. The stocks sound great and are super comfy for me although my right ear can sometimes be a little too big for the LL silicone tips. I really wish Sony made an LL hybrid tip. It's weird though I swear my ear changes size depending on what time of day it is. It seems like later on in the evening my right ear canal is larger than it is in the morning or mid-day. Looking forward to trying the Spiral Dots though as I've heard good things. I'm still open to any others too. Tips are so cheap, even the best ones, I'm down to try/buy about any of them.

Feb 7, 2019 at 8:34 PM Post #758 of 1,487
A9D631F8-E640-4CEB-9A19-BB0727BD7FD0.jpeg

Feb 7, 2019 at 9:28 PM Post #759 of 1,487
Got the JVC Spiral Dots today for my M9. I have to say these things are a winner. Great fit and great sound. The size large pairs fit me just perfectly. The tips are shorter and they put the end of the IEM nozzle deeper into the ear, which allows for a deeper insertion. The tip nozzle also has a wider bore compared to the Sony tips and especially the Spin Fits.

If anyone wants this box of size ML Spiral Dots for $20 shipped, holler at me.

Feb 11, 2019 at 2:19 PM Post #760 of 1,487
I am asking this just to make sure...

Do your M9s have a problem with mmcx connectors being loose and unstable?

I got my second pair of M9 from warranty claim and the mmcx connectors (both sides) seem to be loose again but not as terrible as shown in the YouTube video I posted.

I strongly believe that this is not normal because the left mmcx connector of the first unit that I sent back to Sony wasn't loose and it was so firm. I couldn't force it and feel like it could move.

Also, I have not been impressed with the sound of this second pair. I have some weird sense of vocals becoming more forward and it destroys coherence. I can't confirm this but that is what I am wondering right now.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #761 of 1,487
Got the JVC Spiral Dots today for my M9. I have to say these things are a winner. Great fit and great sound. The size large pairs fit me just perfectly. The tips are shorter and they put the end of the IEM nozzle deeper into the ear, which allows for a deeper insertion. The tip nozzle also has a wider bore compared to the Sony tips and especially the Spin Fits.

If anyone wants this box of size ML Spiral Dots for $20 shipped, holler at me.

$5 for one new Pair? :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2019 at 6:19 PM Post #762 of 1,487
I am asking this just to make sure...

Do your M9s have a problem with mmcx connectors being loose and unstable?

I got my second pair of M9 from warranty claim and the mmcx connectors (both sides) seem to be loose again but not as terrible as shown in the YouTube video I posted.

I strongly believe that this is not normal because the left mmcx connector of the first unit that I sent back to Sony was't loose and it was so firm. I couldn't force it to feel like it could move.

Also, I have not been impressed with the sound of this second pair. I have some weird sense of vocals becoming more forward and it destroys coherence. I can't confirm this but that is what I am wondering right now.

You push in completely and clicked? Even when inserted securely, it still free to swivel around the connector as there’s no stopper/notch system. However the grey/red indicator on the cable side is rubbery to provide extra friction (rubbery part is concealed by the IEM housing once inserted) preventing it from rotating freely.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2019 at 10:53 PM Post #763 of 1,487
You push in completely and clicked? Even when inserted securely, it still free to swivel around the connector as there’s no stopper/notch system. However the grey/red indicator on the cable side is rubbery to provide extra friction (rubbery part is concealed by the IEM housing once inserted) preventing it from rotating freely.

Exactly, the mmcx connectors are securely and successfully inserted and have that click sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back