Three Brand New Earphones: Sony IER-Z1R, IER-M9 and IER-M7
Mar 19, 2019 at 8:25 AM Post #796 of 1,485
Having both M7 and M9 for months and recently Z1R, M7 is now my most used. I listen about half of the time to classical and half to rock and other stuff. M9 has a little too much bass, and mids less presence. M7 tone is a beauty and can listen for many hours.

Wow, and my opinions are the complete opposite of yours!

Mar 19, 2019 at 8:47 AM Post #797 of 1,485
I haven't tried a Shure or Westone IEM in years so I don't remember to be honest. I haven't heard the SE846.

Edit: When I go out and about tomorrow, I'll be able to really comment on its noise isolation.

Fitment with the M7 might be a little finicky. Initially, the earpieces touch my concha which was a bit uncomfortable. However, it seems like there are longer variants of each tip size that solves that problem for me. YMMV.
So I got to try my friend's M7 over the weekend....

Compare to SE846, there's an immediate increase in treble (expected), detail, and sounds more airy. The bass isn't as deep though, but still plenty (bass flicks sound clearer). Mid not as forward but not a big difference to me.

Somehow, these don't highlight any particular region (am I hearing this right?). They're just...even across the board. Like middle point of andromeda and se846 to me.

Comfort on the other hand....just amazing. I can't even feel anything. It's like sound just come in naturally to my ears. Even though SE846 is comfortable but I've always noticed it's there. With M7, sometimes I had to check if it's still on correctly.

Loving the stock cable but I wish they make a 40cm version for my ES100 :)

For sure. It literally took me a month and two different 3rd party tips to figure out that I preferred the included Sony tips and to figure out how to insert them and position them in my ear. I've got it all figured out now though. I would write it out here exactly what I do but to be honest it's pointless. What works best for me most likely won't work best for you. I will say this though: you don't want to insert them in a way which causes them to have a suction effect upon removal. If you insert them in a way which causes an air tight seal, the soundstage, bass and details are most certainly suffering.

You sir saved me so much trouble. Now that I read back the manual, Sony never stated a deep insertion. The instructions just show it pushing it and wiggle a little. Thank you!
I like the triple comfort as it feels so good. Also, is it just me or the triple comforts do not isolate that much more than their stock silicone hybrid?

Mar 19, 2019 at 11:12 AM Post #798 of 1,485

Compare to SE846, there's an immediate increase in treble (expected), detail, and sounds more airy. The bass isn't as deep though, but still plenty (bass flicks sound clearer). Mid not as forward but not a big difference to me.

Somehow, these don't highlight any particular region (am I hearing this right?). They're just...even across the board. Like middle point of andromeda and se846 to me.

That's pretty much what I think as well. They don't really have that "wow" factor but I think they're really pleasant to listen to, which is something I look for in IEMs.

Mar 19, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #800 of 1,485
But that's just poor me, who actually owns all of them for many weeks, listens sometimes almost all day long, chamber music/concertos/symphonies/choral/black metal/etc.
I see the pattern. So, which iem are you getting next ?

Mar 20, 2019 at 7:50 PM Post #802 of 1,485

Comfort on the other hand....just amazing. I can't even feel anything. It's like sound just come in naturally to my ears. Even though SE846 is comfortable but I've always noticed it's there. With M7, sometimes I had to check if it's still on correctly.

Loving the stock cable but I wish they make a 40cm version for my ES100 :)

You sir saved me so much trouble. Now that I read back the manual, Sony never stated a deep insertion. The instructions just show it pushing it and wiggle a little. Thank you!
I like the triple comfort as it feels so good. Also, is it just me or the triple comforts do not isolate that much more than their stock silicone hybrid?
Thanks for the impression man, the M7 might be a good step up from my IM02 it seems~

Mar 22, 2019 at 5:35 AM Post #804 of 1,485
If anyone was looking for a Z1R/M9 comparison, here's a compensated FR graph from 0db (https://www.0db.co.kr/xe/REVIEW_0DB/639824)

3f985403834a0a70bbccf3212ab20926.png

Mar 22, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #805 of 1,485
Can someone take some pictures when wearing M7/M9?

I have a feeling that I'm wearing it incorrectly because no matter what type of tips, they seem like protruding out of my ear too much

Apr 10, 2019 at 8:47 AM Post #808 of 1,485
Can someone please compare the m9 to xba-a3 ? Is it a worthwile upgrade? Unfortunately I have no chance to audition them where I live. I am looking for a more refined cleaner sound with more or less same amount of bass as a3.

Hmm....I only demo XBA twice, got M9 now. I think M9 is not as bassy but there's still plenty for my taste (pop and rock), and clean as well. Detail is noticably more (loving those cymbals decay) as well as soundstage. I demoed them in a loud lobby so this might not be accurate...sorry :)
On the other hand, I can safely say that comfort and isolation are way better with M9 (and looks cooler)

I didn't get excited like when I was using Xelento or SE846. It's kinda laid back but not as much as M7. To me, M9 is like....you start appreciating the sound the more you listen kinda thing (I think this is what they describe as "organic")

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #809 of 1,485
Can someone please compare the m9 to xba-a3 ? Is it a worthwile upgrade? Unfortunately I have no chance to audition them where I live. I am looking for a more refined cleaner sound with more or less same amount of bass as a3.
Interested by with comparison as well..
Tho @krumplib430, have you tried putting JVC spiral dot on your A3? It's pretty nice. Lessen the bass just a tad, then makes the vocal and high clearer. IMO it sound more natural with it now, less too V shaped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back