Three Brand New Earphones: Sony IER-Z1R, IER-M9 and IER-M7
Apr 10, 2019 at 5:02 PM Post #811 of 1,485
Interested by with comparison as well..
Tho @krumplib430, have you tried putting JVC spiral dot on your A3? It's pretty nice. Lessen the bass just a tad, then makes the vocal and high clearer. IMO it sound more natural with it now, less too V shaped.

I only used the standard tips for A3 (which came with it), maybe I will give a try for other types of tips. My ears are pretty small and very sensitive. I have to use the smallest tips, otherwise my ears will get irritated pretty fast. Thanks for the "tip" by the way :)

@stormers : Thanks for the impressions on the M9

Apr 10, 2019 at 5:44 PM Post #812 of 1,485
Got M9 for a month now, and I can say these worth every penny, especially if you get one for <1000$. The more I listen to it, the more I appreciate its superb tonal balance and technical abilities. Its not the iem which will get your jaw drop right at the start, because of its slightly relaxed, natural signature, but its all there - great imaging, instrument separation, detail pick up, bass impact and speed...

May 13, 2019 at 12:44 AM Post #816 of 1,485
The IER Z1R makes the M9 sounds sleepy, wildly different tunings really.

May 16, 2019 at 12:55 AM Post #819 of 1,485
Has anyone compared IER-M7 to Massdrop Plus or Moondrop Blessing?

May 25, 2019 at 4:46 PM Post #820 of 1,485
I have been struggling to find the right tips for my M9. Now I am going to tell a story of discovery (that someone here has already found before).

Last two weeks both of my ears got affected by Otitis externa, making both of my ear canals get smaller. And that is when miracle happened...

The M9 sounded so engaging and fun and I never realized that the sound stage of M9 is extremely wide (I was using hybrid size M tips). That was so amazing. I think this is because smaller ear canals blocked the depth of tip insertion. I can comfirm that the sound quality depends significantly with how deep you insert them.

I always have problem with sound quality from the M9. So far I have not been impressed with the sound and I was thinking to sell them many times. I thought I have been familiar with the sound signature and quality from the M9, so I don't get excited from listening to it. But actually, it may be all about eartip-dependent problem.

I used to say that final audio type e tips decreased sound stage because I inserted them very deep.

After my ear canals got normal, hybrid size M tips were too small and digged very deep into my ears (the ML ones hurt me). Now I switched back from TC (size MS) to TC (size M or ML). But still, I am not getting the sound I want. I hope other 3rd party eartips would fit me well and give me the sound I want.

I feel so guilty that I did not read previous posts thoroughly.

May 25, 2019 at 8:28 PM Post #821 of 1,485
I have been struggling to find the right tips for my M9. Now I am going to tell a story of discovery (that someone here has already found before).

Last two weeks both of my ears got affected by Otitis externa, making both of my ear canals get smaller. And that is when miracle happened...

The M9 sounded so engaging and fun and I never realized that the sound stage of M9 is extremely wide (I was using hybrid size M tips). That was so amazing. I think this is because smaller ear canals blocked the depth of tip insertion. I can comfirm that the sound quality depends significantly with how deep you insert them.

I always have problem with sound quality from the M9. So far I have not been impressed with the sound and I was thinking to sell them many times. I thought I have been familiar with the sound signature and quality from the M9, so I don't get excited from listening to it. But actually, it may be all about eartip-dependent problem.

I used to say that final audio type e tips decreased sound stage because I inserted them very deep.

After my ear canals got normal, hybrid size M tips were too small and digged very deep into my ears (the ML ones hurt me). Now I switched back from TC (size MS) to TC (size M or ML). But still, I am not getting the sound I want. I hope other 3rd party eartips would fit me well and give me the sound I want.

I feel so guilty that I did not read previous posts thoroughly.
forgive me for not understanding your post here....So you prefer the Hybrid and deep insertion?

May 26, 2019 at 4:49 AM Post #823 of 1,485
forgive me for not understanding your post here....So you prefer the Hybrid and deep insertion?

No, the point is you should not wear them too deep. Otherwise, sound quality decreases. I did not know this before. That is why I didn't get the sound I want because I tried to use smaller tips (from M, ML to MS) to make sure that the tips go deeper into my ears. Once my ear canals became smaller because of the infection, the M9 sounded stunning because tips could not go deep like before while giving me the fit and good seal.

I am not an English native speaker, so I can only use direct words. lol

May 26, 2019 at 8:17 AM Post #824 of 1,485
No, the point is you should not wear them too deep. Otherwise, sound quality decreases. I did not know this before. That is why I didn't get the sound I want because I tried to use smaller tips (from M, ML to MS) to make sure that the tips go deeper into my ears. Once my ear canals became smaller because of the infection, the M9 sounded stunning because tips could not go deep like before while giving me the fit and good seal.

I am not an English native speaker, so I can only use direct words. lol

ah ok. Thanks for the clarification.

So yeah, it was indeed mentioned on previous posts that others prefer shallow fit compare to deep for the M9. Interestingly, those in IER Z1R prefer a deep insertion.

My ears have a turn quite near the entrance so I can't push the M9 deeper or shallower. There is literally only 1 insertion depth for me lol (possibly because of the M9 shape and nozzle angle). My SE846 sits very deep but M9's nozzle just kinda reach a little bit after the ear canal :)

What's the difference you hear between TC and hybrid?

May 26, 2019 at 9:11 AM Post #825 of 1,485
Hi all, i can see people have fitting issues with m9, so I decided to share my experience as well. I bought m9 more than a month ago and right off the bat I had similar issues as others reported. The biggest problem with m9 is the so called suction effect. You need to understand why this happening with m9 to overcome it. M9 is totally air tight iem with zero leak, this by design m9 doesn't have any kind of vent or valve at the back (this iem is designed for performers on stage, so the seal is very important here). This, similar to other non-vented iems can create vacuum in your ear canal. This vacuum, as you can imagine, constantly apply a pull force to your ear drums. This vacuum effect won't allow your eardrums to move freely to its full potential. This will eventually makes the iem very muted (in serious cases almost like underwater effect). I had the exact same issues at the beginning. I have a sony a3 as well, since the a3 is vented design I never experienced such issue before. I did a lot of a b testing between a3 and m9, and m9 always sounded muted compared to the very lively presentation of a3. I tried both kind of ear tips which came with m9 (triple comfort and silicon). I read the other people's post about suction effect an don't inserting them too deep. In my case nothing really helped. Even if I inserted them very shallow I always felt this vacuum feeling no matter how hard I tried. Then I decided to explore other ear tips, and lo and behold the comply foam tips completely eliminated all of the issues for me. I am no scientist, but i would assume the foamy material is full of microschopic holes which will allow the pressure to normalize in your ear canal. I never had the suction effect with comply. Before you say this is a commercial for comply foam, probably chineese ripoff foam tips would do the same. I ordered some from aliexpress as well (I havent received them yet).
In a nutshell foam tips transformed m9 from a muted disappointment to a pretty damn good iem (now i like it much better than the a3). I know some people think foam tips would alter the sound. If you insert it corretly I don't think it will alter the sound at all (maybe the base becomes more punchy). I tried the a3 with foam vs silicone and didn't notice a difference.
Not everything is perfect though. Those foam tips break pretty easily, my first set lasted 2 weeks only, thats why i decided to order chineese from aliexpress.
Another note on balanced vs non balanced, for me the balanced cable changed the sound to another level again. I'm using TA-Zh1ES balanced most of the time and planning to by a balanced dap as well. Balanced made m9 even more lively and punchy... oh dat bass.
Hope this helps someone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back