This is really what soundstage is...
Feb 6, 2004 at 5:25 AM Post #61 of 177
reading through this entire thread, i'm surprised that no one has mentioned that possiblility of your brain interfering in your attempt to experience sound from 'the front'.

as in, your eyes happen to be located at the front of your head, so, seeing nothing, your brain possibly refuses to give you the complete impression that the source is located in front of you. that's why you have the impression that the sound is coming from the back, side, up, down- anywhere but from the front.

crane your neck and look up while listening to the same track: for those who experienced sound coming from above, is the sound in front of your eyes now? not likely. it will most probably be directly above the top of your head still.
very_evil_smiley.gif

it's the same way if one listens to a relatively uninspiring set of headphones for long enough, one can come to love it by virtue of getting used to it. or another example would be the placebo effect.

edited for spelling

Feb 6, 2004 at 8:25 AM Post #64 of 177
Here's a couple I've held onto that are pretty good. Dunno how much downloadage Comcast allows, so hopefully these won't get raped
smily_headphones1.gif
Can't remember where these came from originally, so hopefully they haven't already been posted.

1) http://home.comcast.net/~andy.strunk/InvitationLoud.mp3

2) http://home.comcast.net/~andy.strunk/SileypudLoud.mp3

First one is a good short voice positioning type demo. Second one is a bit of music with different instruments around you (or the dummy head).

I have a really good one I didn't post because it's almost 5 meg that has some voice, sound effect positioning, a bit of a dense, jungle-type music soundscape, a dramatic bit of storytelling, and an interrogation. Binaural sound is fun to play with, too bad there's not more out there. I was quite surprised with the matches that I could discern up/down as I've never experienced that before. Usually you just get the circle-around-head effect.

Feb 6, 2004 at 3:42 PM Post #66 of 177
Can I say WOW! That is kewl. By dt250 were so real but my ety4s not as good which was suprising. I think the ety are just to close the dt250 have a little more space between your ear and the driver. But someone else said the cd3000 were not grate. I guess you need a slightly less accurate headset to slur the sound a bit to sound betterk, the ironery....

Feb 25, 2004 at 6:05 PM Post #72 of 177
Quote:

Originally posted by Distroyed
http://jimtreats.crosswinds.net/MyT...aural/index.htm

This site no longer exists... does anyone have either a new link or can upload them to another site for those of us who missed it (or can at least pm me for icq transfer or something)?

I second this request. I'd really like to listen to these too...
eggosmile.gif

Mar 7, 2004 at 10:39 PM Post #74 of 177
I am very impressed by the first (matches) recording.
I had the aureal vortex 2 but i never felt so totally immersed as I did with that binaural recording. Some people mentioned that the quality of headphones you use are also very important. I don't totally agree with this. I was listening using my Sony Ex70's and with my eyes closed, It felt like the matches were right in front of me on two occasions in the recording. Indeed once you understand where the sound is coming from it becomes even more realistic. The hardest is when you have unpredictable movements, but really what it boils down to, is imagination.

Then again, it could just be that the Ex70's are exceptionally good earphones
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 7, 2004 at 11:35 PM Post #75 of 177
I got the feeling it was in front of me at forehead height

ER4B anyone
evil_smiley.gif

I can (at least temporarily) host the files if someone sends them to me....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back