This is really what soundstage is...
Nov 10, 2003 at 1:22 PM Post #2 of 177
To my ears, the soundstage of R10s with normal discs is really nothing compared with this sample MP3 played in my cheap Grados. It is just realistic enough to make you feel that someone is really shaking something behind you.

Nov 10, 2003 at 1:49 PM Post #3 of 177
oh wow... i just tried it in the dark, and wow... it's just eerie how realistic it is; as though someone is shaking a packet of matches around your head about half a metre away :O

Nov 10, 2003 at 1:49 PM Post #4 of 177
That sounds amazing to me, on just a cheap pair of plantronic pc headphones.

Nov 10, 2003 at 2:06 PM Post #6 of 177
Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrr this is pretty freakish. Thanks, I guess
confused.gif

Nov 10, 2003 at 2:29 PM Post #8 of 177
This is a good track for behind-the-head sounstage examples, you can really hear the spacing of your equipment.

You need to listen to it without crossfeed.

Cheers,
Geek

Nov 10, 2003 at 2:35 PM Post #10 of 177
Wow! That's awesome! I never knew this was possible with headphones.. however, I am wondering if the location of the sound would be so obvious if it was not constant as it was being moved. In other words, if it started behind you and stopped and then moved to the side would it's location be obvious?

Nov 10, 2003 at 3:05 PM Post #11 of 177
Silver,
Isn't this "new" technology just a binaural recording?
Cheers,
Alex Altorfer

Edit: Hmmm... it is. Sorry for being rude.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 10, 2003 at 3:07 PM Post #12 of 177
ahh.. it's always great to hear binaural stuff... Too bad we don't get binaural music CDs in major stores :\

There was a head-fi member here who posted the page with his binaural recordings a while ago. He used his own head to record sound outdoors.

http://jimtreats.crosswinds.net/MyTr...ural/index.htm

The best one there is the one titled "Guest sample: Public demonstration of the use of a dummy head at the IRT institute." It would be a very chilling (in a good way) experience, I highly recommend you to try that file.

Nov 10, 2003 at 3:23 PM Post #13 of 177
Wow. This is cool. I just listened to it through my V6's and I could really imagine a, well, soundstage. Not
sure, but I don't think these headphones are known for it, so I can only imagine what it's like with, say,
R10's. Heh.

I really felt like the match pack was going to hit my shoulder when it is going up and down, one side
at a time (near the end of the recording). Freaky.
biggrin.gif

Nov 10, 2003 at 3:31 PM Post #14 of 177
You know, I think Headroom should sell a binaural CD with the top ten best binaural recordings ever made. I'd definitely order it!
Cheers,
Alex Altorfer

Nov 10, 2003 at 3:38 PM Post #15 of 177
Very realistic indeed, enough to give you the creeps. But did anybody have the impression that the matches were rattling exactly from the front? I didn't, and it never happens to me with binaural recordings. Every other direction is perfect: up, down, left, right, behind... but the front is never adequately displayed.

peacesign.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back