There's Something About Ultrasone…
Mar 6, 2007 at 3:23 PM Post #2,326 of 5,942
[size=xx-small]Are the PROline cables 3 or 4-wire?[/size]

Been wondering how the 750's might respond to balanced amping. Given the difficulty in procuring the slightly non-standard screw-on end, it seems near-impossible (atm) to create user-replaceable after-market cables for the Ultrasones. If the stock cables have four wires, my thought is it would be relatively easy to cannibalize one & attach some XLR plugs.

Anyone seen the insides of those stock cables?

Mar 6, 2007 at 5:48 PM Post #2,328 of 5,942
hmm it really helps not listening to the cans for a few days to enjoy them more...
That or the last 15h or so of burn in have made wonders to the treble
smily_headphones1.gif

Fact is that since my computer got issues I am stuck with a crappy Audigy 2 which is miles away from the x-fi in term of sound quality
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 6, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #2,329 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by ldj325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Terry, I am hoping that you will be willing to comment on something that you posted in another thread? See below:

"Terry's Long Post on Enjoyment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Entice. Entrust. Enjoy. Enjoy your headphones. Enjoy your setup. Enjoy your music.

Terry"

Excellent post that I take at face value.

Thanks for putting it over into this thread where it belonged - that was bugging me! The original post is over here if anyone wants to see my nice uses of italics and bold type!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ldj325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is what I am curious about. You reference the 750 giving close to the same sound as your studio monitors. In my limited experience, studio monitors often show a much flatter frequency graph than the ones for the 750. Also recently I saw a frequency graph for a well known IEM that would seem to indicate that they had a pretty good bass, yet they are generally known for having a very weak bass (and that is certainly my experience in listening to them).

I am getting the idea that there is a mis-match between the graphs (at least in how they are commonly used on Head-fi) and what real users actually experience. It looks like the graphs are misrepresenting what takes place as a listening experience, or they are being used incorrectly, or incomplete data is being given. Do you have any comments or clarification about this, especially as regards the Ultrasones?

(Now isn't that rather on point folks
icon10.gif
.)

From what I understand those frequency graphs are being taken the wrong way considering many, many factors - all of those being the ears and ear canal themselves. The graphs reflect the output of the drivers. That can be useful perhaps to note where rolloffs and humps exist, but these all look very similar in several respects, do they not? Do any of them look "flat" in any way, shape or manner to you?

I'm pretty certain headphones have to be designed differently from speakers in several frequency-shaping areas due to their close proximity to the ear itself. What happens inside that narrow passageway is acoustically quite remarkable - it actually flattens out all of those dips and spikes above 1k. Those dips reflect resonances that have to be tamed, and the spikes reflect nodal regions where sound is self-canceling to a degree deep inside there. It's something to do with the curved and conical shape of the ear canal, and in Ultrasone's case, also the involvement with the pinnea, or outer ear folds.
exaudcanal_15577_th.gif

So, what you're really seeing is a graph of compensations being made by the headphones. Whether or not they can be used to predict or analyze how a headphone is going to actually sound is dubious, IMO, if that is what those graphs portray. Resonant and nodal analysis curves of individual ears and ear canal shapes must be plugged into this to see how those factors straighten out the frequency response. I'm sure the industry uses some "theoretical model" of an actual ear to make these assumptions, then performs tests on real humans!

That, at least, is how those graphs were explained to me, but I cannot find my reference - it was probably over at http://hydrogenaudio.com which is an audiophile site that seems to focus on the technical side of things more than others.

But that is my understanding of the limitations inherent in those graphs. Before people believe me just yet, please wait for other responses to this question to come in. My own sources may have been all-wet.

Terry
750prolinebx3.png

Mar 6, 2007 at 6:56 PM Post #2,330 of 5,942
Happy Birthday, Dex! And many more to come, please!

Aside from my noting that information-only threads tend to scroll off into head-fi oblivion along with all their valuable information anyway, I applaud your persistence and sensitivity to the threat of allowing head-fi to become de-humanized and overly intellectualized.

"Serious types" do tend to express their intolerance easily, and always expect everyone to buy into their logical claims supporting their need for order. It is all hogwash. The search engines exist for them and all - let them use those. All information becomes buried by time anyway, if not first by some spate of "silly" posts.

Your resistance to the tyranny of the minority is a welcome sight - and it should be emblazoned upon a flag - the Flag of Ultrasonia! - and that flag should stand for freedom of expression; the right to camaraderie, jovial good fun, support and friendship; and liberation from brow-beaters, insult hurlers and abusers.

I will defend the right of people to be silly to my very last breath!
(For me, that is sort of like defending my right to eat... since I'm know I'm going to eat.)

Terry
750prolinebx3.png

Mar 6, 2007 at 7:40 PM Post #2,331 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrastique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Dex, I know it's not an ultrasone but I did find another picture I took wich contains a hp!!

Reminds me of cyberhorror or such. Great looking pic!
icon10.gif

Mar 6, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #2,332 of 5,942
Quote:

Something I also noticed with for example a track from Charlotte Gainsbourg "Everything I cannot see" (and some other tracks where I don't recall the name of right now) the 750 puts the guitar in the beginning of the song in the right ear only. That made my ear tickle in an unpleasant way.
Can't feel it at the moment but would be due my ear-suffering.
That's the only and really they only thing that enoys me sometimes.

Indra, I've just listened to this magnificent track through twice with my 750s and you're absolutely spot-on: the texture of the acoustic guitar strumming through the right channel is so realistic and visceral that it indeed tickles!
eek.gif

And I can easily understand that if you're suffering some ear discomfort it could be most unpleasant. These PROlines don't pull any punches.

I hope you're on the road to recovery!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 6, 2007 at 8:39 PM Post #2,333 of 5,942
Yeah they are definiatly more fatiguing than the DT 770 for example...

Mar 6, 2007 at 8:44 PM Post #2,334 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah they are definiatly more fatiguing than the DT 770 for example...

They are definately not fatiguing at all in my opinion. Only my right-ear sometimes hurt and I am not sure what's causing it. Could be just an infection but I do hope it's not because of my 750's but I think not.
With a couple of tracks I experienced an ennoying tickle in my ear caused by instruments coming out of one cup only. But that's all thank god!!

Thanx Dex for the on-topic reply hihi
tongue.gif

I thought I was the only one who noticed that!!

Mar 6, 2007 at 8:46 PM Post #2,335 of 5,942
Quote:

They are definately not fatiguing at all. Only my right-ear sometimes hurt and I am not sure what's causing it. Could be just an infection but I do hope it's not because of my 750's but I think not.
With a couple of tracks I experienced an ennoying tickle in my ear caused by instruments coming out of one cup only. But that's all thank god!!

Make sure you dont have any earwax stuck against your eardrum, and let your ears relax for couple of days and see if the pain goes away. No ultrasone for a week for you!!!
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 6, 2007 at 8:57 PM Post #2,336 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No ultrasone for a week for you!!!
evil_smiley.gif

You should make me feel better...not worse
tongue.gif

Mar 6, 2007 at 9:11 PM Post #2,337 of 5,942
To my ears they are. I think my ears got numb after a week with the 750 thus they started to sound muted and even a bit dull.

probably that why they change character so often for me... If it´s becase they are so detailed, they clamp harder to your head, brighter or whatever but they are definiatly more fatiguing than the DT 770.

Not as the A900 though that had piercing highs...

Mar 6, 2007 at 9:42 PM Post #2,339 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Always wanted me one of them anime avatars!

proline2500.jpg

My little present from Japan!

Wow, cool! Here are a bunch more: http://www2.117.ne.jp/~ota-beam/otb-hp.htm

Mar 6, 2007 at 10:00 PM Post #2,340 of 5,942
thanks for that link.
580smile.gif

there are even 2 for the HD650. mmmmh which one to choose......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back