THE ZMF ATRIUM!!! and other cool LTD ZMF Stuff
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 18, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #107 of 1,373
AFAIK, there are three pad options: Universe is stock and comes attached to the Atrium
Auteur lambskin
Be lambskin

As some of you might recall, im one of those set the pads/forget the pads. Pad rolling is challenging for me, in fact, when I win the lottery im going to hire a fulltime ZMF padroller, much the same way that Snoop dog has a fulltime roller of a different nature. :)
I am not much of a pad roller either, I have nothing against it , as it is a nice way to be able to tune to your preferred liking.

I guess I just always used the theory of, if it's good enough for the designer, then it's good enough for me.

I would need them to be color coded if not I would always be asking my wife...."does this pad look just like this one" :grinning:

It starts out as rolling tubes, then rolling amps, then rolling pads.....I would drive myself crazy .

All that being said, I'm cool with the pads that provide the most bass.

Being able to pad roll really helps set ZMF apart, and the pads are very reasonably priced.

Mar 18, 2022 at 2:13 PM Post #108 of 1,373
I would need them to be color coded if not I would always be asking my wife...."does this pad look just like this one"
YES!!!! I suggested to ZMF years ago to use a color code in the stitching so that us plebs could ID one pad from another.
Apparently, that idea didnt gain much traction. :frowning2:

Mar 18, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #109 of 1,373
YES!!!! I suggested to ZMF years ago to use a color code in the stitching so that us plebs could ID one pad from another.

I'm pretty sure he gave that serious consideration, he's always super open to input.

But I'd bet that somewhere along the line, he thought of a nightmare customization scenario whereby some would ask "he Zach, can I get the whatever pad but with copper thread stitching to match the..."

Mar 18, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #110 of 1,373

Yeah, if that would add an extra expense...maybe dap a dot somewhere on the pad with a light colored magic marker....pink/yellow/white. Even a fool like me can sort through those quickly.

Of course, that would mean someone having to do a lot of dabbing if done after the pads arrived from supplier.

Mar 18, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #111 of 1,373
I'm pretty sure he gave that serious consideration, he's always super open to input.

But I'd bet that somewhere along the line, he thought of a nightmare customization scenario whereby some would ask "he Zach, can I get the whatever pad but with copper thread stitching to match the..."
Yeah...ha....what sound can I expect if I put on one red pad and one blue one ?

Mar 18, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #112 of 1,373
Mar 18, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #113 of 1,373

One set of my BE2 pads has a small "BE2" tag under the collar. I don't think any of my other pads have any identifier. I'm not sure why they would only do the one but I wish they would make them all identifable.

Mar 18, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #114 of 1,373
One set of my BE2 pads has a small "BE2" tag under the collar. I don't think any of my other pads have any identifier. I'm not sure why they would only do the one but I wish they would make them all identifable.
I have a white fabric marker and write the type of pad under the flap on the inside of the cloth.

Mar 18, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #115 of 1,373
@warrenpchi @Monsterzero … I’ve had this discussion a lot… and my take away regarding other peoples preferences is a mix of anatomy, gear…and experiences. Experiences to me are what “bias” us as individuals to have predilection towards something… I.e. your first ice cream, the music your parents listened to, and just life experiences leading to today…everything factors into what we deem “worthwhile” or engaging/enjoyable or the other way around… not good, and not worth our time…. Makes everyone right and wrong depending on who they are interacting with ha! Even if we share some preferences… or, we align in general, this doesn’t mean once we experience the same thing we will walk away with the same experience… if that makes sense ha! Sorry, I find this sort of thing fascinating! The bigger problem is the people that think they are the protagonist and the rest of us are NPCs and not protagonists ourselves ha! Aka those that lack empathy for differing viewpoints 😅

Mar 18, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #116 of 1,373
@warrenpchi @Monsterzero … I’ve had this discussion a lot… and my take away regarding other peoples preferences is a mix of anatomy, gear…and experiences. Experiences to me are what “bias” us as individuals to have predilection towards something… I.e. your first ice cream, the music your parents listened to, and just life experiences leading to today…everything factors into what we deem “worthwhile” or engaging/enjoyable or the other way around… not good, and not worth our time…. Makes everyone right and wrong depending on who they are interacting with ha! Even if we share some preferences… or, we align in general, this doesn’t mean once we experience the same thing we will walk away with the same experience… if that makes sense ha! Sorry, I find this sort of thing fascinating! The bigger problem is the people that think they are the protagonist and the rest of us are NPCs and not protagonists ourselves ha! Aka those that lack empathy for differing viewpoints 😅
1647630700292.png

Mar 18, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #117 of 1,373
So Verite may be a better match for tube amps as Atrium may be too analog?
They're both better on tube amps. I don't find the Atrium too anything. Interestingly though, I really enjoy them on the TT2 directly and I can't say the same for the Verite with the TT2, as it's more harsh than through tt2->Pendant SE. The Pendant Atrium combo is still better than the TT2 directly, likely because it's just a more forgiving headphone but I can see some preferring that cleaner sound. Personally I've never felt any ZMF must have tubes, as I've been very happy with them with a number of different SS amps (Hugo 1 & 2, iFi Micro Black, iFi Pro iCan) and those who only use SS amps really shouldn't feel like they're missing something with ZMFs if SS is what they prefer.

Mar 18, 2022 at 3:50 PM Post #118 of 1,373
I’ve had this discussion a lot… and my take away regarding other peoples preferences is a mix of anatomy, gear…and experiences. Experiences to me are what “bias” us as individuals to have predilection towards something… I.e. your first ice cream, the music your parents listened to, and just life experiences leading to today…everything factors into what we deem “worthwhile” or engaging/enjoyable or the other way around… not good, and not worth our time…. Makes everyone right and wrong depending on who they are interacting with ha!
I could not agree more!
Listening to music, for me, is and always will be, an emotional experience, and like you said our life experiences help shape what it is that triggers said emotions, whether they be a happy place and time, or an ex-girlfriend that you sit and wonder about, a favorite dog that has long since left this plane, whatever the case might be, music allows me to relive those experiences, and tap into those emotions.

Nobody in my family really understands that, and only a select few friends can relate.
The bigger problem is the people that think they are the protagonist and the rest of us are NPCs and not protagonists
download.jpg

Mar 18, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #119 of 1,373
I feel so conflicted. Not that I don't absolutely love my Auteur—they're my favorite headphones at the moment—but the Atrium isn't just aestheticially impressive, it sounds as if it might have the best features of all the other headphones. If I would've known these announcements were coming just months down the line, I might not have gotten stabilized Auteur and opted for the for a few hundred more.

/sigh
I suppose it's time to add yet another pair of headphones to the list and get a second and third job. Haha

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #120 of 1,373
Atrium shuns the ubiquitous, but highly annoying, over-emphasis of upper mid-range (presence range) frequencies, that so much “neutral” gear has these days. In addition, it sounds remarkably linear throughout the entire mid-range - which is to say that lower-mids weren’t scooped out - granting vocals (and certain instruments) fullness and body, while preventing sibilance and keeping fatigue at bay.​
Excellent - now I'm really looking forward to hearing these for myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back