The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Oct 31, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #5,386 of 5,722
Thanks for the answer.

I have bought up to now some opamps and honestly the differences between them were subtle except of the ad797br which were quite better.

The above experience I had has made me a bit suspicious on the amount of improvement in case I buy burson opamps.

Your comment is clear though on the amount of improvement.

AD797BR, liked having those in my STX card :)

Oct 31, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #5,387 of 5,722
Thanks for the answer.

I have bought up to now some opamps and honestly the differences between them were subtle except of the ad797br which were quite better.

The above experience I had has made me a bit suspicious on the amount of improvement in case I buy burson opamps.

Your comment is clear though on the amount of improvement.

i had previously upgraded the (LM)4562NA in the primary with an opa627, which was a quite distinct improvement

then i put a single v5i in the primary slot, leaving the default (2x) JRC 2114D in the secondary slots as before

the improvement was immense... even if you only replace the primary to save expense, you will be very happy... i have yet to consider replacing the secondaries, as i am happy enough as it now sounds to not let that genie out of the bottle

Nov 2, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #5,390 of 5,722
The rest of the OPAmps I tried were thin.. the Bursons had a lot of depth and meat added to the sound. Hope this helps.

Nov 2, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #5,391 of 5,722
All of your comments are helpful.

My question had mostly to do with the level of improvement when using the burs on opamps. You see as I wrote earlier most of the opamp rolling I made had no significant amount of differentiation between the ones I used with an exception f the ad797br were change was slightly more noticeable. All this Mede me doubtful on the amount of change or improvement a discrete implementation such us the v5's would give me.

From your comments I realize that opamp installation of burson modules will give a huge difference that justifies their high cost.

I'm also curious how would a dexa digital dual opamp perform on an Asus essence st or Stx....

Nov 2, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #5,392 of 5,722
@Panagiotis :

i was impressed with the difference the opa627 (dual) made in the primary slot as my first upgrade - they are relatively cheap, so maybe that would be an easy trial ?

if you think there is no difference to stock, then maybe either your other components (or your ears) need to change
wink.gif

for me, the opa627 made the bass immediately much more "tight' (as in , hearing distinct notes, and drum kicks rather than a blur of sub-sound), and the whole sound stage was wider and more "beautiful" - distinct without being too sharp (harsh) - i am uncertain how to realistically write about sounds as you need to hear them not read about them

in any case, if the '627 isn't notably a major lift in quality for you, then maybe the bursons won't be either - but they were a marked step up from what the 627's did, and the '627's really opened my ears
beyersmile.png

Nov 2, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #5,393 of 5,722
Hi, i am new to here and glad that here is a thread about the card.

I have an issue with my stx that there is hissy audible at 44.1hz sample rate.

But it can be fixed if it is switched to other sample rate.

My question is are there any solutions other than switching to other sample rate?

Btw,how about the stx II? Is the same issue fixed by asus?

Thanks for help.

Nov 3, 2016 at 12:59 AM Post #5,394 of 5,722
Hi, i am new to here and glad that here is a thread about the card.
I have an issue with my stx that there is hissy audible at 44.1hz sample rate.
But it can be fixed if it is switched to other sample rate.
My question is are there any solutions other than switching to other sample rate?
Btw,how about the stx II? Is the same issue fixed by Asus?

Did you disable the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS, when you installed the STX card?
Have you tried the Unified Xonar Drivers?
http://maxedtech.com/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/

Not sure why you have a hiss with a 44.1K sample rate.
Why not just leave the sample rate at 48k or 96K, can't see any reason why not.

Nov 3, 2016 at 2:01 AM Post #5,395 of 5,722
Hi Purpleangel,

Sure,the onboard audio was disable when installing the stx.

Regarding the hiss, some people mentioned before here in this forum: http://www.head-fi.org/t/546291/white-noise-coming-from-my-essence-stx-from-44-1khz

But will the sample rate affect the sound quality?

Nov 3, 2016 at 2:22 AM Post #5,396 of 5,722
Hi Purpleangel,

Sure,the onboard audio was disable when installing the stx.

Regarding the hiss, some people mentioned before here in this forum: http://www.head-fi.org/t/546291/white-noise-coming-from-my-essence-stx-from-44-1khz

But will the sample rate affect the sound quality?

I do not think you will lose any sound quality setting the card for 48K.

Nov 5, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #5,397 of 5,722
Hey guys- I got a STX 2 with a pair of dt 880's (600ohm ones)

looking to swap OP-amps into one of the following configurations:

1. 2x Muses01 1x Muses02
2. 3x Muses01
3. 3x Muses02
4. 2x Muses02 1x Muses01
5. 3x v5 burson
6. some other combination using muses01, muses02, or v5/v5i burson 

can someone with experience please comment on which setup will sound the best and how much of a difference there would be between muse01's, muse02's, and v5s

Ive been searching/reading about this all day but it would be great to find someone who has a similar setup and has tried the variations

Nov 5, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #5,398 of 5,722
Bursons are better than Muses. However, I've yet to find out what caused my STX 2 and it's V5-D's to burn up. So for now I cannot say if it's safe to use them in one since I've burned up one STX 2 and I've burned up amps in two different STX 2.

Now from the Muses I use 2 8820 (Muse 02,) and 1 8920 (Muse 01.) I've found that it sounds better than 2 8920 and 1 8820. 
  Hey guys- I got a STX 2 with a pair of dt 880's (600ohm ones)

looking to swap OP-amps into one of the following configurations:

1. 2x Muses01 1x Muses02
2. 3x Muses01
3. 3x Muses02
4. 2x Muses02 1x Muses01
5. 3x v5 burson
6. some other combination using muses01, muses02, or v5/v5i burson 

can someone with experience please comment on which setup will sound the best and how much of a difference there would be between muse01's, muse02's, and v5s

Ive been searching/reading about this all day but it would be great to find someone who has a similar setup and has tried the variations

Bursons are better than Muses for practically everything. However, I've yet to find out what caused my STX 2 and it's V5-D's to burn up. So for now I cannot say if it's safe to use them in one since I've burned up one STX 2 and I've burned up amps in two different STX 2.

Now from the Muses I use 2 8820 (Muse 02,) and 1 8920 (Muse 01.) I've found that it sounds better than 2 8920 and 1 8820. 

Edit: As I said I've tried 3 V5-D's, 2 V5-D's and 1 V5i-D. Both destroy setups completely destroyed anything I have ever listened to in terms of amps. However as was stated they quickly got hot and burned up in two separate STX 2's. Yet, I see plenty of other people doing it without problems. So I have yet to find the cause.

Nov 5, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #5,399 of 5,722
my first stx 2 lasted about 4-5 months before i got popping in my right side on headphones, also on rca out. i wanted do change the capacitors and see if that made a difference. i dont have the skills to do so, so i bought 1 stx 2 used and that lasted 5 mins before i got the same popping, this time it destroyed my headset. i have very low sound in my right side like really low. if i set my mixer on 11% on my left channel and my right side on 100 its about equal in sound:p also the same on my phone :S so headset + 2 stx 2 toasted ;( sad

Nov 5, 2016 at 9:05 PM Post #5,400 of 5,722
  my first stx 2 lasted about 4-5 months before i got popping in my right side on headphones, also on rca out. i wanted do change the capacitors and see if that made a difference. i dont have the skills to do so, so i bought 1 stx 2 used and that lasted 5 mins before i got the same popping, this time it destroyed my headset. i have very low sound in my right side like really low. if i set my mixer on 11% on my left channel and my right side on 100 its about equal in sound:p also the same on my phone :S so headset + 2 stx 2 toasted ;( sad

It probably was the capacitors because after I started using the V5's one of the capacitors on the buffer stage blew on my first one. I did research and replaced the capacitor but that still did not fix it. Heck I still have it sitting over here with the replacement in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back