The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Nov 7, 2016 at 7:16 AM Post #5,417 of 5,721
  th2pun1sh3r,

Since installing the STX II last week, Adam Audio F5 stand-mounted powered studio monitors have been my primary source for near-field critical listening, not headphones. After the Burson op amps (waiting for arrival) are installed and compared, then I’ll learn a lot more about the SQ of swappable op amps vs. sound card per se.

I wouldn't install Bursons in a STX II , after the reports of Bursons burning out and caps popping on STX II's , rather try them on original STX .

Anyways , I've just swopped OPA2111KP's for TI OPA1612 SOIC soldered onto dip8 adapters . That's in the I/V section and left LM6172IN in the buffer . Noise floor has dropped considerably and definition is the sharpest I've come across . I'm listening to a vintage pair of B&W DM12's being driven by a Linsey Hood 80wpc amp with shunt regulated dual rail supply .

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/opa1612.pdf

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm6172.pdf

Nov 7, 2016 at 8:24 AM Post #5,418 of 5,721
I seriously can't think how the Muses opamps can possibly be better than the OPA1612 , check out the spec sheets . Methinks it's a scam .

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/opa1612.pdf

http://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data%20Sheets/NJR%20PDFs/MUSES01.pdf

http://www.njr.com/semicon/PDF/MUSES02_E.pdf

I can highly recommend giving OPA1612 a try , the highest quality opamp available from Texas Instruments . Get a SOIC opamp and SOIC to DIP8 adapter and give it ago .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-5pcs-SOP8-SO8-SOIC8-TO-DIP8-adapter-pcb-conveter-board-/190814801321?hash=item2c6d72cda9:g:~x8AAMXQO21RyVCZ

Nov 8, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #5,421 of 5,721
Bursons customer service still remains second to none. They were going to send me another set of V5's this would put them out over $500 in replacements they've sent me. Although, I told them I will just purchase a Conductor Air. Since I need a good amp for my phone as well. I've heard a lot of good things about the Conductor Air. So we shall see how everything goes. The Cable+ looks amazing too. Although that upgrade will have to wait. I cannot rule out what is causing the issues with the STX 2. There's still an STX, although unfortunately I gave it to another member of my family who also lives here. So I can no longer use that for testing purposes. I would very much like to see however, It would prove if or not it's a problem linked to the design STX 2 itself. 

I will post how everything works with the Conductor Air once it's in. Some have reported the audio quality to be superior to the STX/V5 combo.

Nov 8, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #5,423 of 5,721
  so i tested the soundcard again, im currently listening on it now. and have not experienced any popping suddenly.. that is strange. im going to give it some days. i hope the card will keep up :)

I'm happy to hear your card is working - I was wondering what Asus's policy is regarding under warranty replacement ? They do , after all , push the fact that the card is opamp swapping capable . 

but i feel like the sound is not as clear as it used to be. may be because of the different op amps. im so used to the burson awesomeness :p

Is it the stock opamps you have in there now ?

Bursons customer service still remains second to none. They were going to send me another set of V5's this would put them out over $500 in replacements they've sent me. Although, I told them I will just purchase a Conductor Air. Since I need a good amp for my phone as well. I've heard a lot of good things about the Conductor Air. So we shall see how everything goes. The Cable+ looks amazing too. Although that upgrade will have to wait. I cannot rule out what is causing the issues with the STX 2. There's still an STX, although unfortunately I gave it to another member of my family who also lives here. So I can no longer use that for testing purposes. I would very much like to see however, It would prove if or not it's a problem linked to the design STX 2 itself. 

I will post how everything works with the Conductor Air once it's in. Some have reported the audio quality to be superior to the STX/V5 combo.

Good to hear about Burson's customer service - that makes a big difference .

Nov 8, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #5,425 of 5,721
Also, Burson asked me to send my card to them for testing. They'll have a better chance than I do at getting to the bottom of the issue. We'll see how everything turns out. Even if the card proves incapable of holding the amps down. I will be able to use the Conductor Air once it arrives. They have really gone out of their way to help me. They're even planning to replace the V5-D's still. This will put them out over 700$ on this if you include all the amps I've gone through.

Edit: I really hope they can find the issue. The STX 2 is really the only card I have that can push my HD 700's. The Maximus Formula VII has a half decent DAC and AMP. However, it cannot and will not do what the STX 2 can. 

Nov 8, 2016 at 11:06 PM Post #5,427 of 5,721
Im using the ones that comes with the card. Not the original ones

I see . 

Could you please relate what sets the burson sound apart from other op amps ( describe the Sound Quality ) ?

For example , for hifi listening I have Class D Hypex mono-blocks , a vintage Class A/B Harman Kardon PM660 and custom built 300B Push Pull with inter-stage transformer mono-blocks . 

The Hypex amps are the epitome of neutrality , imaging is good , PRAT is spot on , bass control and definition is excellent ; BUT time and time again I am drawn back to the HK or 300B PP . Why ? Because of the " musicality " of these amps , they're an absolute pleasure to listen to , non-fatiguing . I can't wait to hear the 300B when I get home from work  . Almost every genre too - 'cept maybe some very fast deep electronic drum music ( Drum n Bass  and such the like ) .

Nov 8, 2016 at 11:16 PM Post #5,428 of 5,721
  Also, Burson asked me to send my card to them for testing. They'll have a better chance than I do at getting to the bottom of the issue. We'll see how everything turns out. Even if the card proves incapable of holding the amps down. I will be able to use the Conductor Air once it arrives. They have really gone out of their way to help me. They're even planning to replace the V5-D's still. This will put them out over 700$ on this if you include all the amps I've gone through.

Edit: I really hope they can find the issue. The STX 2 is really the only card I have that can push my HD 700's. The Maximus Formula VII has a half decent DAC and AMP. However, it cannot and will not do what the STX 2 can. 

Amazing customer service indeed - bless them !

I'm interested in hearing your impressions of the Conductor Air .

Just a thought : http://www.head-fi.org/t/794856/manley-labs-headphone-amp

Nov 9, 2016 at 12:12 AM Post #5,429 of 5,721
the lows are much cleaner and is more pronounced, mids sound wider and is smoother. I love the smootheness of the highs. I find myself beeing able to put the volume abit louder without getting harsh or sharp tones. It has to be heard. Its a great upgrade compared to the stock. This was probably a bad description

Users who are viewing this thread

Back