The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Nov 5, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #5,401 of 5,721
i was abit wrong.. have my left channel on 50% and right on 100. its weird tho.. hope caps will fix it or just forget about the stx 2 and move onto something better. because this is starting to be expensive

Nov 6, 2016 at 12:40 AM Post #5,402 of 5,721
  i was abit wrong.. have my left channel on 50% and right on 100. its weird tho.. hope caps will fix it or just forget about the stx 2 and move onto something better. because this is starting to be expensive

I know the feeling after going through 1 STX 2 and 7 Burson V5-D's and 1 V5i-D. That's when I stopped experimenting. Roughly $500 in amps alone burned up not to mention the STX 2. Until I can find answers why they burned up. 

Nov 6, 2016 at 1:02 AM Post #5,403 of 5,721
  I know the feeling after going through 1 STX 2 and 7 Burson V5-D's and 1 V5i-D. That's when I stopped experimenting. Roughly $500 in amps alone burned up not to mention the STX 2. Until I can find answers why they burned up. 

did all this happen in the same pc ?  in the same slot ?

there might be some regulation issue with the power supply - what are you using, and how old is the psu ?

is it "fed" via a molex off the power supply, or is there an intermediate adapter ?

fwiw i run two separate machines with the xonar hdav 1.3, and both have been flawless with burson v5i in the buffer slots - both have more than marginal power supply for the components (corsair hx650 and antec earthwatts 500 in a gaming i5 and basic i3 rig respectively)

could that possibly be an issue for your set up ?

Nov 6, 2016 at 1:38 AM Post #5,404 of 5,721

did all this happen in the same pc ?  in the same slot ?

there might be some regulation issue with the power supply - what are you using, and how old is the psu ?

is it "fed" via a molex off the power supply, or is there an intermediate adapter ?

fwiw i run two separate machines with the xonar hdav 1.3, and both have been flawless with burson v5i in the buffer slots - both have more than marginal power supply for the components (corsair hx650 and antec earthwatts 500 in a gaming i5 and basic i3 rig respectively)

could that possibly be an issue for your set up

It's been tried in multiple slots on two separate STX 2's. It uses a molex off of a HX1000i. I'm using a Maximus Formula VII. Edit: This HX1000i is less than a year old.

Nov 6, 2016 at 2:50 AM Post #5,405 of 5,721
  It's been tried in multiple slots on two separate STX 2's. It uses a molex off of a HX1000i. I'm using a Maximus Formula VII. Edit: This HX1000i is less than a year old.

ah... too much power 
redface.gif

Nov 6, 2016 at 3:31 AM Post #5,406 of 5,721

ah... too much power 
redface.gif

That's just the thing. No one has been able to tell me what's causing this. What I do not understand is why the normal amps do not have issues. However, when I use the V5's they get hot; almost hot enough to burn my hands. However, the same issue is persisting on the 2nd STX 2. After the last two V5's and the V5i blew up I stopped trying altogether.

Nov 6, 2016 at 5:56 AM Post #5,407 of 5,721
  Bursons are better than Muses. However, I've yet to find out what caused my STX 2 and it's V5-D's to burn up. So for now I cannot say if it's safe to use them in one since I've burned up one STX 2 and I've burned up amps in two different STX 2.

Now from the Muses I use 2 8820 (Muse 02,) and 1 8920 (Muse 01.) I've found that it sounds better than 2 8920 and 1 8820. 

Bursons are better than Muses for practically everything. However, I've yet to find out what caused my STX 2 and it's V5-D's to burn up. So for now I cannot say if it's safe to use them in one since I've burned up one STX 2 and I've burned up amps in two different STX 2.

Now from the Muses I use 2 8820 (Muse 02,) and 1 8920 (Muse 01.) I've found that it sounds better than 2 8920 and 1 8820. 

Edit: As I said I've tried 3 V5-D's, 2 V5-D's and 1 V5i-D. Both destroy setups completely destroyed anything I have ever listened to in terms of amps. However as was stated they quickly got hot and burned up in two separate STX 2's. Yet, I see plenty of other people doing it without problems. So I have yet to find the cause.

yeah I read about the bursons causing some channels to have problems over time from multiple people (maybe it is a voltage issue?)

I still have my old stx1 maybe il try bursons on that (since it wont be a big deal if it burns up)

for stx2

I guess I will try the 2-1 setup both ways for the muses and see which one sounds better.

Anyone else have suggestions on this?

Also, the 2 amps in the IV stage are the ones that affect headphones right so if im using my DT 880s there would be no diference between putting 2 muse02s and 1 muse01 versus all 3 muse02's right? I think I read somewhere it only uses the buffer stage for the speakers RCA?

Nov 6, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #5,409 of 5,721
That's just the thing. No one has been able to tell me what's causing this. What I do not understand is why the normal amps do not have issues. However, when I use the V5's they get hot; almost hot enough to burn my hands. However, the same issue is persisting on the 2nd STX 2. After the last two V5's and the V5i blew up I stopped trying altogether.

It definitely sounds like a Burson / STX2 issue , as others have been experiencing similar problems with the combo , but not with the original STX . It would be nice if someone who had a similar problem would chip in here .

Nov 6, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #5,411 of 5,721
  btw I just saw that muses03 are coming out soon (december) supposedly its going to be better than 01/02

NJR's press release re new flagship op amp Muses03, dated Oct 11, 2016:  http://www.njr.com/products/press2016/MUSES03.html

Damn, I hate reading about V5 / V5i defects and/or incompatibilities.  Last week I ordered Burson op amps for my new STX II because its stock Muses 8820 / 8920 are so lousy that after one week I switched back to my Dell XPS' onboard Realtek ALC3861 audio.  I'll not go back to STX II unless Burson V5 / V5i (ordered both) significantly improve its SQ.

Nov 6, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #5,413 of 5,721
th2pun1sh3r,

Since installing the STX II last week, Adam Audio F5 stand-mounted powered studio monitors have been my primary source for near-field critical listening, not headphones. After the Burson op amps (waiting for arrival) are installed and compared, then I’ll learn a lot more about the SQ of swappable op amps vs. sound card per se.

Nov 6, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #5,414 of 5,721
ahh yeah I have a pair of logitech speakers w/ sub but I think the asus guys said you need to swap the buffer to make the speakers sound good. Headphones are way better though.

I am hoping muse01/02 combo will improve speakers

Nov 7, 2016 at 12:10 AM Post #5,415 of 5,721
  ...I am hoping muse01/02 combo will improve speakers

Well, for that kind of money plus a bit of price negotiation, one could buy discrete or hybrid “audiophile designer” op amps which virtually every Head-Fi reviewer says beat the monolithic IC Muses8820/8920/01/02 hands down.  And that's why I considered Sparkos SS3602, Burson V5 / V5i, and ordered the latter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back