The Westone UM1/UM2 Appreciation Thread
Jan 10, 2006 at 7:34 PM Post #61 of 516
Another extremely happy westone customer, I've had the UM1's for a couple of days now and after getting a good seal and depth(took about half an hour but its like riding a bike, get it once and its easy) plus just a touch of EQing they sound great. Now I just have to keep myself from hearing any other higher level IEM's.
biggrin.gif

Jan 12, 2006 at 3:27 PM Post #62 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by manoftranquility
Another extremely happy westone customer, I've had the UM1's for a couple of days now and after getting a good seal and depth(took about half an hour but its like riding a bike, get it once and its easy) plus just a touch of EQing they sound great. Now I just have to keep myself from hearing any other higher level IEM's.
biggrin.gif

Cool, I'm enjoying mine too. Which tips are you using? I didn't like the sound with the complys, but I don't like the lack of isolation (it's still there, just not as much) with the modded biflanges.

Jan 13, 2006 at 3:01 AM Post #63 of 516
Well, I finally listened to my UM2's for the first time today on a flight between Vegas and Chicago. They sounded good. I;m not sure I would have been happy with the bass if it weren;t for the bass boost on my Xin SM3V6, but that goes for every IEM I have owned except for the Super.fi 5EB.

I'm not sure the UM2 sounds any better than the 5EB though. The Bass on the UM2 with the Xin boost is actually better than the 5EB's bass (one cannot use bass boost with the 5EB!), but I had hoped the UM2 would blow away the 5EB in the mids and treble, and it did not. The UM2 actually has the more rolled off upper treble. The mids are quite smooth, though. The soundstage is pretty good too. And they isolate very well.

I no longer have my Shure E3C's for a direct comparison, but if memory serves me the UM2's midrange is better than the Shure's which was too dry.

Anyway, just some intital thoughts. Since I git my UM2's from another head-fier, they were already broken in. While I still much prefer to use my HD25-1's than the UM2, or any other IEM for that matter, the UM2 is good sounding, and a good match with the Xin SM3V6.

Jan 13, 2006 at 10:55 AM Post #64 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny12
loving the um2
with shure super soft sleeves

How much isolation do you get with the super soft sleeves?

I'm thinking of the UM1's, but am worried about getting a high isolation IEM. It is very dangerous walking around downtown oblivious to outside noise. My current modded Sony EX70's that i use only block about 10db so I can still hear outside noises for danger.

Jan 13, 2006 at 11:34 AM Post #65 of 516
Awesome, I just cut the stems down on the supplied UM-1 tri flanges and the sound is great!! Actually just a pinch better than the complys. Very easy mod. There is a small dot of flash from the molding on the side of the stem. Make the cut just past that area of flash (side towards the flange). Still very comfortable and after fiddling with them, an improved sound over the complys. But the white color will get dirty easier. I could use a darker color.

Jan 13, 2006 at 6:12 PM Post #67 of 516
I really cant believe how much the UM2 responds to EQ change!
eek.gif
Yesturday I was sitting down listening to deftones, getting pissed of at the lack of clarity and high end coming out of my UM2. So I went home changed the tips to the Shure soft flex tips and changed the changed the EQ on my 5G Ipod to Electronica and all of a sudden 'WOW' all this high end coming out of no where and to think I was about to dump them for E4C's.

I think I'll get custom molds next and I advise everyone else to do the same, Westone products change dramatically, so much hidden potential.

Jan 13, 2006 at 7:46 PM Post #68 of 516
This is why I think it makes a good match for my Xin SM3V6, since the Xin has a bass boost. I won;t use the EQ on my iPod since it adds so much distortion. I do wish I could add a little sparkle to the UM2's top end.

Jan 13, 2006 at 8:11 PM Post #69 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab
I do wish I could add a little sparkle to the UM2's top end.

I've found the Go-Vibe/2227opa combo helps slightly with the UM2's top end. Adds a bit more air/space and what might be construed as sparkle. I can't say it's worth rushing out to buy one but there does seem to be enough of a difference for me to lug an amp around. There are other op-amps available with the G-V such as the 8610 that might enhance the top even more. I'd give Norm a holler, he's quite helpful when it comes to clearing up queries of this sort.

Jan 13, 2006 at 8:26 PM Post #70 of 516
Thanks, but not changing amps to accomodate the UM2. I keep the amps I like, and change headphones when I feel like it
orphsmile.gif

Jan 14, 2006 at 2:30 AM Post #71 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by Electric_Mofo
So I went home changed the tips to the Shure soft flex tips

How much isolation do you get with the shure soft flex tips? I'm thinking about the UM1, but only want it if i can use a tip that only has about 10-15dB of isolation, since anymore is dangerous for walking down a busy street not hearing outside noises.

Jan 14, 2006 at 5:14 PM Post #72 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBigDu
Cool, I'm enjoying mine too. Which tips are you using? I didn't like the sound with the complys, but I don't like the lack of isolation (it's still there, just not as much) with the modded biflanges.

I use the triflanges which I cut the stem down to be flush with the largest flange. Like recommended here. Good isolation overall, but I do like the comfort of the comply tips more. I save those for times when I know I'm going to be using them for extended periods though.

Jan 18, 2006 at 1:38 AM Post #73 of 516
ive been usin my UM1 since xmas mostly around the house and a little bit walking doing chores, but today i really took them around first day back on campus after break - walkin around all day gettin books and to three classes etc.

microphonics was essentially nil is what i wanted to add to the appreciation thread.

Jan 18, 2006 at 2:26 AM Post #74 of 516
Does anyone know which tips provide the best isolation? I would assume it's the Comply's but has anyone found differently?

Jan 18, 2006 at 2:31 AM Post #75 of 516
I prefer the triflange with the stem cut to be flush with the last flange.

Can anyone recommend a portable amp that has good synergy with the UM2? I had a SM3 with the stock NE5534 class a but they sounded better without it in the loop!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back