The Westone UM1/UM2 Appreciation Thread
Jan 18, 2006 at 2:51 AM Post #76 of 516
The microphonics on the UMx are indeed nonexistent. I wore them underneath a winter coat, with the hood pulled up and everything closed. This arrangement totalled the ER-4P leading to endless microphonics, but this did absolutely nothing to the UM1.

The footstep sounds are still there, though. Don't know if there's any way to deal with that, since it seems to be some kind of bone conduction issue that comes along with having a seal.

Jan 18, 2006 at 4:51 AM Post #77 of 516
I almost sold my UM2s (again). I don't know why, but recently I've started feeling the lack of mids and highs acutely, probably because I've been using my ER4S a lot.
Today I re-inserted my FS ad and then afterwards on a whim, tried the "Acoustic" EQ from my mp3gained 5th gen iPod. Wow these sound like my old E4Cs now! Well, E4cs with a super powerful low end that doesn't bleed into the mids. Taking a look at the Acoustic EQ curve on iTunes reveals an almost uniform boosting of all frequencies except a dip in 250-1k HZ range. So basically I think cutting out some of these frequencies will psycho-acoustically bring the mids forward a lot.

Jan 18, 2006 at 7:46 AM Post #79 of 516
So I figured I don't have much to lose by trying...I bought the UM1's today, should be here in a week.

Expecting something that will give me a detailed presentation with promenent bass extention useful for portable situations, in a low profile fit.

Jan 22, 2006 at 4:31 AM Post #80 of 516
Several posters mentioned cutting one one of the flanges of the triple down to a bi flange...... Whats the purpsose of this..

What is a portable amp and why would you have one?

Do purchasers of the UM1 report a hissing sound while music is playing?

Thanks in advance...

"R"

Jan 22, 2006 at 2:00 PM Post #82 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by R MaN
Several posters mentioned cutting one one of the flanges of the triple down to a bi flange...... Whats the purpsose of this..

What is a portable amp and why would you have one?

Do purchasers of the UM1 report a hissing sound while music is playing?

Thanks in advance...

"R"

Cutting a triflange into a biflange is for the purpose of getting it to fit easier. Some people also like the sound it produces.

A portable amp is a headphone amplifier in a small case, so that you can carry it around with you. Portable amps plug into your source (MP3 player, CD player, etc.) and then you plug your headphones into the amp. The purpose of a portable amp is to make your music sound better on the go.

While I do notice a hiss when nothing is playing, I find the hiss is nearly nonexistant during a song, at least not to a noticable extent. However, if there is a very very quiet section of the song, you will notice some hissing. The hissing can be fixed by use of a volume attenuator.

Jan 22, 2006 at 2:05 PM Post #83 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by Istasi
Cutting a triflange into a biflange is for the purpose of getting it to fit easier. Some people also like the sound it produces.

A portable amp is a headphone amplifier in a small case, so that you can carry it around with you. Portable amps plug into your source (MP3 player, CD player, etc.) and then you plug your headphones into the amp. The purpose of a portable amp is to make your music sound better on the go.

While I do notice a hiss when nothing is playing, I find the hiss is nearly nonexistant during a song, at least not to a noticable extent. However, if there is a very very quiet section of the song, you will notice some hissing. The hissing can be fixed by use of a volume attenuator.

I heard turning the EQ on the ipod seriously drains the battery... Is it easy to trim that flange? Whats tje volume attenuator?

Jan 27, 2006 at 9:50 PM Post #85 of 516
Are the E3's better than the UM1's ?

and are the Shure E1's the Same as the UM1's ?
cuz they look so *****in' similar
biggrin.gif

Jan 27, 2006 at 9:56 PM Post #86 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by R MaN
I heard turning the EQ on the ipod seriously drains the battery... Is it easy to trim that flange? Whats tje volume attenuator?

Well, you shouldn't be using the EQ on the iPod anyways. More then anything, it kills sound quality. It's very easy to trim the flange, any pair of scissors will work. A volume attenuator passes the signal through a little pod with a volume knob, it eliminates hiss on the headphones. Here's a link to one made by Shure: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=172282

Jan 27, 2006 at 10:52 PM Post #88 of 516
Microphonics on the UM1's are little to non-existing. According to most people, the UM1's are a godsend compared to Etymotics in the microphonics deparment.

P.S. If you MP3/AAC-Gain all of your files to 89dB, the EQ on the iPod is alot more effective, and doesn't distort the sound (atleast not much anyways..)

Jan 27, 2006 at 11:10 PM Post #89 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by firefox360

P.S. If you MP3/AAC-Gain all of your files to 89dB, anyways..)

How and why would one do that??? Just curious..

Jan 27, 2006 at 11:20 PM Post #90 of 516
First, it gives more room for the EQ to work with. Second, it may help reduce clipping (not sure on the reasons for that). Third, it makes all your albums approximately the same volume. Thus, you won't have to keep changing the volume when you go from one song to another and one album is 6db louder than the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back