The Westone UM1/UM2 Appreciation Thread
Dec 31, 2005 at 6:41 PM Post #16 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spiritboxer
UM2's a keeper for sure, the perfect NYC subway can. I'll be going for custom molds Tuesday so you know they're not going anywhere. Can't wait to see how the UM56 effects SQ and since I believe the audiologist will need to hold on to everything during the process I picked up a pair of Altec Lansing iM716's as a backup. Nothing like being prepared to rationalize new purchases.
etysmile.gif

being able to rationalize a purchase USING another purchase as the basis of the logic is a phenomenal skill!
biggrin.gif

ive done it, not with headphone equipment, but its been done.

we are the few, the proud, the broke!

Dec 31, 2005 at 7:01 PM Post #17 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by idiotekniQues
being able to rationalize a purchase USING another purchase as the basis of the logic is a phenomenal skill!
biggrin.gif

ive done it, not with headphone equipment, but its been done.
we are the few, the proud, the broke!

You got it bud, I can rationalize anything. Shudda gone into politics, no? Funny thing is, that last line was supposed to be "nothing like being prepared", the rest (to rationalize new purchases) just sorta wrote itself. Hey, reality's a malleable substance, if art is an attempt to interpret it, why not just work with the real stuff?
etysmile.gif

Dec 31, 2005 at 7:14 PM Post #18 of 516
I ordered my UM1s last night. Can't wait for them to arrive after hearing all these good things about them!

Dec 31, 2005 at 7:47 PM Post #19 of 516
Spiritboxer: Neither the audiologist or Westone should need to take the UM2. Therefore, there is no need for a backup. Having said this, you seem to love the im716s so perhaps it is not bad that you were able to find this rationalization
smily_headphones1.gif

I find the UM1s to be really nice, the way they fit into your ear kinda feels like how a custom IEM would (not really of course but it seems like it). The comfort is good, it feels better than the Etymotic ER-4Ps I had, using triflanges on both. There are no microphonics at all, and the wires going from each individual earpiece to the connector aren't a problem at all because there's this plastic sleeve which you can move up to bind the wires together, which also keeps the wires in place over the ears. The wires going from the connector to the plug do seem to tangle up a bit when I plug the UM1s into my mp3 player, but it's not a big hassle and its easy to get it sorted out. In general the design, comfort, and build quality are all impressive.

I can't comment that much about the sound since I don't have much experience with different audio equipment but I can say that they seem to have a mellow, sweet sound, also last night I managed to experience the "IEMs disappearing and music seeming to come from nowhere" effect which I have heard about but never actually experienced, so they must be doing something right
etysmile.gif

Dec 31, 2005 at 7:56 PM Post #20 of 516
Gawd, I wanted a pair of UM1s for xmas, but alas the jolly fatman let me down. Seeing all this praise for 'em just makes it that much worse. One day....
-Mag

Dec 31, 2005 at 11:13 PM Post #22 of 516
Any of the new UM1 owners (ones that didn't have IEMs or didn't use the foams before) wondering about what they'll do when those foamies degrade? My UM1's weren't from EarphoneSolutions.com, and so they didn't come with the Tri-Flanges, so I'm kinda worried about what I'll do when these Comply tips break down after a while. Although I know a store that sells Shure's and they probably have some tips.

Jan 1, 2006 at 12:07 AM Post #24 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by firefox360
Any of the new UM1 owners (ones that didn't have IEMs or didn't use the foams before) wondering about what they'll do when those foamies degrade? My UM1's weren't from EarphoneSolutions.com, and so they didn't come with the Tri-Flanges, so I'm kinda worried about what I'll do when these Comply tips break down after a while. Although I know a store that sells Shure's and they probably have some tips.

i would suggest trying a pair of the tri-flanges. get them onlnie for 9 bucks or so. you can always get more comply tips as noted above.

Jan 3, 2006 at 7:13 PM Post #26 of 516
Quote:

I very much prefer the UM1 to the e3c, and the UM2 to the e4c.

agreed

Just ordered my UM2's and should have them today
biggrin.gif
I think the UM2, although it may be less "accurate" than something like the E4 is much more fun and would easily appeal to any Grado fan

Jan 3, 2006 at 7:43 PM Post #27 of 516
never change the low profile of the um series. after seeing many pics of people with super.fi's and some ety's in their ears and how they stick out, i really appreciate the super-low profile of these UM1's. i started fallin asleep with these lying on my pillow on my side.

Jan 3, 2006 at 9:20 PM Post #28 of 516
that's exactly what I was going to ask...how low profile are they? do any UM1 owners have pictures of them in their ears, or could they take pictures? as detailed as they can
icon10.gif
that would be great.

does anyone have the custom earmolds on their UM1's or UM2's? Pictures of those in your ears? I'm really looking for some low profile stuff. That would be great!

THANKS

Jan 3, 2006 at 9:24 PM Post #29 of 516
ill take a picture of my ears with the UM1 in them and post in a bit.

Jan 4, 2006 at 12:43 AM Post #30 of 516
I love my UM2s so much that i can't think of any other IEMs for me. I tried shure Ety etc . They are comfortable and sound incredible with the bi-flanges in conjunction with AE-1. I don't i will use any other IEMs after using this

Users who are viewing this thread

Back