The Westone UM1/UM2 Appreciation Thread
Jul 3, 2007 at 5:01 AM Post #376 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrbrad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Comment about the Shure Tri-flange/bi-flange. When they are new, they are stiff and are difficult to get and maintain a good seal. After wearing them a few times, they work much better and are easy to get in, seal, and remove.

One reason I don't like the foamies is they are too difficult to get in and after a while, they cause the inside of my ear to itch.

X2 on that. I am now using even the triflanges with the stem cut level without discomfort and with excellent sound.

Jul 3, 2007 at 5:03 AM Post #377 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by moseboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe the foamies, but Shure's new black foam tips are pretty much heaven.
smily_headphones1.gif

Have both the Complys and the Black Shures. I like them both. Have tried the Black foamies reversed as mentioned in one of the M5 threads with better isolation, same comfort, but not sure if I hear any difference in sound.

Jul 4, 2007 at 7:11 AM Post #378 of 516
The lines on the cables just are markings so the electrician/technician/engineer/whatever can discern which cable should go to which connector, and put it there! It's the same reason you have a red wire and black wire for speakers, and pretty much any other electrical component has that. Don't worry about it.

Jul 12, 2007 at 8:52 AM Post #379 of 516
Yay! My Um1's arrived!!!!!

So far, I like them. The slim profile when in ears is very nice. I like the midrange and the bass, but it seems a bit flat which isn't necissarily a bad thing. After using Grado's for a while the soundstage is really great as well.

The fit isn't TOO bad, but I feel that it isn't isolating as much as I expected. When I'm in the same room as someone talking at a normal level, I can hear them speaking. I guess I just overestimated them.

Jul 12, 2007 at 11:22 AM Post #380 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yay! My Um1's arrived!!!!!

So far, I like them. The slim profile when in ears is very nice. I like the midrange and the bass, but it seems a bit flat which isn't necissarily a bad thing. After using Grado's for a while the soundstage is really great as well.

The fit isn't TOO bad, but I feel that it isn't isolating as much as I expected. When I'm in the same room as someone talking at a normal level, I can hear them speaking. I guess I just overestimated them.

Glad you liked the UM1s
biggrin.gif
These do sound rather flat but as they are meant for on stage monitoring they are hugely responsive to EQ so give that a try
wink.gif
Fit with IEMs is a hit and miss thing, some like the Complys, others like yellow foamies, and then some swear by custom molds, so you might wanna try out all the options for a better seal (like Shure greyflex, triflange or olive sleeves)

Jul 12, 2007 at 1:14 PM Post #381 of 516
I didn't really like the UM1s at first because they were so flat. In fact, I loaned my pair to my older brother for a the last 3 weeks as I used my Mylar X3s.

Recently I got them back and have been using them with the custom EQ settings on my Kenwood DAP and man they DO respond well to EQ. I was hearing almost no bass. Luckily my Kenwood player's EQ settings are so much better than my iPod's that I've discovered I really like this IEM more than the Mylar X3.

The Mylars are still a great value but they definitely aren't as nice sounding as my UM1s now. I will probably list the Mylars for sale soon.

Jul 12, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #382 of 516
if you are using ur Ipod instead (Un-amped), and EQed them using the available preset EQ, which one will sound better? X3 or UM1?

Actually I'm eyeing on UM1, instead of X3 and IM716 because from this thread, I don't see too much people have issue on the durability, but I want to know if UM1 can justify twice price of X3 in terms of comfort, durability and SQ since I think that all of them are important for portable usage. It would be useless if you got best SQ but broke easily or not comfort right?

Well, I'm a noob on IEM anyway, but just now currently I'm thinking of getting my first IEM since I need the isolation....

Jul 12, 2007 at 6:26 PM Post #384 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by shw24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you are using ur Ipod instead (Un-amped), and EQed them using the available preset EQ, which one will sound better? X3 or UM1?

Actually I'm eyeing on UM1, instead of X3 and IM716 because from this thread, I don't see too much people have issue on the durability, but I want to know if UM1 can justify twice price of X3 in terms of comfort, durability and SQ since I think that all of them are important for portable usage. It would be useless if you got best SQ but broke easily or not comfort right?

Well, I'm a noob on IEM anyway, but just now currently I'm thinking of getting my first IEM since I need the isolation....

Un-amped and from an iPod I think I would go with the X3 simply for the heavier bass that's part of the phone's natural sound signature. The X3 is a lot less detailed and has even more rolled off highs than the UM1 but it's a really fun headphone to listen to and sounds nice for its price.

The iPod's EQ settings by themselves just don't push the UM1 like an amp connected via line-out IMO.

Jul 12, 2007 at 10:17 PM Post #385 of 516
I might buy some extra tips later, maybe some tri-flanges seeing as everyone here seems to like them... Tip's seem very expensive for what they are though so I won't be able to get many others.

Or maybe the reason why they aren't isolation as much as I want is because the tips are too short... Should I buy some standard comply's as well? I am using the short ones right now.

Any other suggestions?

Jul 12, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #386 of 516
Quote:

I might buy some extra tips later, maybe some tri-flanges seeing as everyone here seems to like them... Tip's seem very expensive for what they are though so I won't be able to get many others.

Any other suggestions?

It is true that a lot of people do really like the tri-flanges, but not everyone. Personally, I have tried them and I don't like them. To me, they're uncomfortable, they don't stay sealed very well, and they make my music just sound artificial (again, this is just to me).

However, I absolutely love Shure's new black foam tips that come with their SE series. With my E500's, I get the best comfort and the best sound quality when using these tips. I originally purchased the tips with a pair of UM2's. I ended up keeping the tips when I sent the UM2's back because I didn't like their sound signature (mainly because the sibilant, harsh highs were driving me nuts). But even when I had the UM2's, the Shure tips actually fixed some of the problems that the UM2's, to my ears, have. They made the bass less bloated and more tight, they calmed down the mids which were at first too forward, and they made the high-end more detailed and clear.

So needless to say, I highly recommend Shure's new black foam tips. Even now with my E500's, they just allow clear, clean high-end details to shine through in ways the stock buds can't. I tried all of the tips in Shure's premium fit kit and have not found any of them making me want to change. If you are questioning the tri-flanges, you really can't go wrong with Shure's new foam tips.

Jul 12, 2007 at 11:12 PM Post #387 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by moseboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is true that a lot of people do really like the tri-flanges, but not everyone. Personally, I have tried them and I don't like them. To me, they're uncomfortable, they don't stay sealed very well, and they make my music just sound artificial (again, this is just to me).

However, I absolutely love Shure's new black foam tips that come with their SE series. With my E500's, I get the best comfort and the best sound quality when using these tips. I originally purchased the tips with a pair of UM2's. I ended up keeping the tips when I sent the UM2's back because I didn't like their sound signature (mainly because the sibilant, harsh highs were driving me nuts). But even when I had the UM2's, the Shure tips actually fixed some of the problems that the UM2's, to my ears, have. They made the bass less bloated and more tight, they calmed down the mids which were at first too forward, and they made the high-end more detailed and clear.

So needless to say, I highly recommend Shure's new black foam tips. Even now with my E500's, they just allow clear, clean high-end details to shine through in ways the stock buds can't. I tried all of the tips in Shure's premium fit kit and have not found any of them making me want to change. If you are questioning the tri-flanges, you really can't go wrong with Shure's new foam tips.

Mmm... They sounds good. I think the Bass on my UM1's is a bit bloated as well so maybe they would fix that.

It would be nice to get a Shure Fit Kit so I can try them all and find which one is best, but I can't find a fit kit with the new Shure SE series tips...

There is this http://www.earphonesolutions.com/shfitkitfore.html but that is for the older E series and doesn't include the nice new SE foamies.

Jul 13, 2007 at 12:24 AM Post #388 of 516
Quote:

It would be nice to get a Shure Fit Kit so I can try them all and find which one is best, but I can't find a fit kit with the new Shure SE series tips...

There is this http://www.earphonesolutions.com/shfitkitfore.html but that is for the older E series and doesn't include the nice new SE foamies.

Give EarphoneSolutions a call. There's a good chance that they just haven't updated it on their site, because the premium fit kit should now include Shure's new foam tips. If they don't give you any help, call Shure and they should be able to help you. My E500 didn't come with the new tips when I bought it from EarphoneSolutions, and both the E500 and the SE530 are supposed to come with these new tips now since the SE series was released. I gave Shure a call a few days ago and they're shipping me my tips right now.

Jul 25, 2007 at 2:46 PM Post #389 of 516
I flew from Los Angeles to Beijing this week, had my UM2's on the whole flight (14 hours) and enjoyed them a lot for their sound and noise isolation. This time isolation was better with the triflanges, versus Complys and Shure Black olive foams. Made my flight easier and helped me sleep.

Jul 25, 2007 at 2:59 PM Post #390 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I flew from Los Angeles to Beijing this week, had my UM2's on the whole flight (14 hours) and enjoyed them a lot for their sound and noise isolation. This time isolation was better with the triflanges, versus Complys and Shure Black olive foams. Made my flight easier and helped me sleep.

All personal preference. As long as they are enjoyable for you. That's what it's all about.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back