The Westone UM1/UM2 Appreciation Thread
Jun 17, 2007 at 8:09 AM Post #361 of 516
I hear no sibilance whatsoever with my UM2's. Listening to Rod Stewart now. I use the highest MP3 available in Itunes, I believe 320 and the sound is great with deep bass, and nice highs.

Jun 17, 2007 at 9:11 AM Post #362 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hear no sibilance whatsoever with my UM2's. Listening to Rod Stewart now. I use the highest MP3 available in Itunes, I believe 320 and the sound is great with deep bass, and nice highs.

Who knows, it may be my ears, but I'm definitely not alone. There are many other people on here who hear sibilance coming from the UM2, so I'm not crazy and just imagining it.

Again, I really wanted to like the UM2. But when you're dealing with a near-$300 pair of earphones and you find that a flaw like this easily distracts you while you're listening, you really have to ask yourself if it's worth the trouble, ya know?

Jun 17, 2007 at 11:44 PM Post #364 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by danielson820 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, i know what you mean...i returned mine the other day. I tried to love them, just couldnt do it. I am trying the E4cs hope they work out. Any other ideas?

I was definitely thinking about the E4. However, from what I've heard, if I were to use the E4 unamped (which is how I plan on using my next pair), it may not have enough bass for my taste.

I'm going to go ahead and try the E500/SE530. I've heard many good things about them, except for two flaws. One is obviously the rolled-off highs that Shure earphones are known for (not a big issue for me, just as long as there isn't sibilance). The second, which is much more severe, is the cable durability issue (getting hard/cracking and splitting where it connects to the actual earphones), which really disappoints me.

As I mentioned in another thread, Shure had the perfect opportunity to fix the cable issue that they have even acknowledged as a flaw with the E500 simply by putting a better wire on the the same drivers and renaming it the SE530. I don't understand why they didn't do this, knowing how much it costs at the MSRP.

I really think that this is an issue that Shure should still think about fixing even in the future.... I'm going to go ahead and get them, but I'll tell you what, I wouldn't even consider them if it wasn't for the 2 year warranty....

Jun 18, 2007 at 2:06 AM Post #365 of 516
the bass issue doesnt bother me... i thought the um2s had WAY to much bass, i heard the e4s had a controlled bass which is more what im looking for...tell me how the e500s work out...i might have to get me a pair

Jun 18, 2007 at 4:04 AM Post #366 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by danielson820 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the bass issue doesnt bother me... i thought the um2s had WAY to much bass, i heard the e4s had a controlled bass which is more what im looking for...tell me how the e500s work out...i might have to get me a pair

Yeah, the UM2's are bass-heavy. But really, I think they're almost "supposed" to be that way ("fun"). They're not meant to be accurate or analytical (and if Westone seriously tried to do that, they failed miserably, but I'm positive they didn't). If you don't find them harsh or bloated, there's a great chance you will like the UM2's. Sadly, I don't.

And yeah, the E4, from what I've heard as well, is very controlled in the bass frequencies and has good extension, which would suit you well. Personally, a little more warmth and low end seems to be what I like, so I'm leaning more towards the E500. Two different tastes, two different earphones: One could only assume this is how it should be.

Hopefully the E500's are for me.

Jul 2, 2007 at 10:38 AM Post #368 of 516
If anyone has the black UM2 - please can you tell me if the braiding above the y connector is speckled with white/light grey every 1 inch or so?
I just got them today and noticed that all the way through the wire above the connector, the wire is not solid black - it has small 1/4" sections that are white/light grey. I just want to make sure that's how they're supposed to be!
Thanks

Jul 2, 2007 at 2:23 PM Post #369 of 516
No speckling that I can detect.

It would be best to email Westone. Hopefully, you're still within the warranty period.

The first issue of the UM2 had a clear-ish cable, but turned green after a few months; they replaced mine free of charge. As long as yours is black, it will last a long time.

Jul 2, 2007 at 2:54 PM Post #370 of 516
Are you talking about the little white lines about 2-3mm at regular intervals on either of the 3 sides of the braided wires that look like paint?

Those are actually normal markings on one of the 3 wires that make up each cable which gives the speckled appearance, apparently it was the 3rd version of the cable (after the clear and all black versions) and I have that on my UM1s last year as well. Unless the music becomes distorted or strange, just enjoy the music. If you are not sure, have a camera handy and email westone with some small pics to confirm.

Jul 2, 2007 at 4:13 PM Post #371 of 516
Comment about the Shure Tri-flange/bi-flange. When they are new, they are stiff and are difficult to get and maintain a good seal. After wearing them a few times, they work much better and are easy to get in, seal, and remove.

One reason I don't like the foamies is they are too difficult to get in and after a while, they cause the inside of my ear to itch.

Jul 2, 2007 at 10:26 PM Post #372 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrbrad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One reason I don't like the foamies is they are too difficult to get in and after a while, they cause the inside of my ear to itch.

Maybe the foamies, but Shure's new black foam tips are pretty much heaven.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 2, 2007 at 11:53 PM Post #374 of 516
The silicone of my UM1s were coming apart so I sent them to Westone. They sent me back a new pair with black rubber bracing between the monitors and the cords. Is this how all new ones come or are these different? I really like it, doesn't turn green and looks a lot more durable.

Jul 3, 2007 at 5:00 AM Post #375 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by katsmiles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If anyone has the black UM2 - please can you tell me if the braiding above the y connector is speckled with white/light grey every 1 inch or so?
I just got them today and noticed that all the way through the wire above the connector, the wire is not solid black - it has small 1/4" sections that are white/light grey. I just want to make sure that's how they're supposed to be!
Thanks

I got the clear ones and the braided cords going to each earphone have the same speckles. Dont know what it means. I thaught at looking at them with a magnifiying glass but have been to busy listening to music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back