The Westone UM1/UM2 Appreciation Thread
Jun 6, 2007 at 1:53 PM Post #346 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by Culverin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does anybody here own a pair of UM56's? i'm just curious what the feedback on those are like? better sound? better seal? what about the material you use

Many of us here have UM56s, personally I have UM56s on my UM1s. The term 'better sound' is entirely subjective. Isolation is superb with the molds as Westone uses a soft silicone type of material that is comfortable (though if this is your first set molds you may feel mild discomfort from having a solid object so far into the ears) and seals well if the audiologist takes a good mold (I used open jaw impression as recommended for tight seal). Sound signature generally becomes tighter, with bass and treble becoming more extended (IMO) than with foam sleeves(though perceived quantity is less, what happens is that the boominess when using foam is removed with use of the molds), similar to using modded bi-flanges but comfortable enough for extended listening
icon10.gif

Jun 6, 2007 at 2:27 PM Post #347 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by rapier84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sound signature generally becomes tighter, with bass and treble becoming more extended (IMO) than with foam sleeves(though perceived quantity is less, what happens is that the boominess when using foam is removed with use of the molds), similar to using modded bi-flanges but comfortable enough for extended listening
icon10.gif

I'm full aware that compared to custom tips, there's no contest: the customs win. But I've heard that, at least for the UM2 (and more than likely the UM1 and most other universal fit IEM's for which they fit), boominess can be cleaned up with Shure's new tips, even though they are foam. Did I hear correctly or am I wrong in saying this? I know that the modded bi-flanges are still better, but if those don't work, are the Shure's still a good bet?

Jun 7, 2007 at 9:03 PM Post #348 of 516
So I just got my UM2's today and I absolutely love them. I'll start off by saying that I gave the Comply's an honest try. I really did. I really wanted them to be better than everyone says they are. But in the end, they just made everything sound muddy, and I mean everything (this could be where the boomy description of the UM2's bass started, maybe not). So I then switched to the new Shure tips I ordered with my UM2: the answer to my prayers. Everything is crystal clear and balanced, no more boomy bass. Compared to the Comply's, the highs actually seemed overpowering, but then I was like, "Oh wait, that's how it was supposed to sound in the first place." The mids are still a little forward, but again, that's kind of the UM2's known sound signature, which I have come to like. And of course, comfort is amazing. (As has been said before, the ultimate bed IEM.) Overall, incredibly happy.

However, I have to agree with a couple complaints that I have heard before. First of all, the length of the cable from the Y-split to the driver is too short. This isn't horrible for me, though, as I prefer the cable to go behind my head anyway. The UM2 is also quite sensitive, and I knew that from the start. If I'm plugged into my laptop, I can hear my HD clicking if nothing is playing, but this isn't new to me as my super.fi 5's do the same thing and I can easily ignore it. The drivers also look slightly scuffed, but that's more of a nitpick.

I do have another complaint that I haven't heard of before. The cable seems incredibly loose where the cable meets the driver. I can literally twist the cable and see the cable inside the driver twisting around itself (I have the clear UM2). Is it supposed to be this loose? If it's not, I'll send them back and GLADLY get another pair. I love the UM2's, but this cable issue is bothering me.

Jun 8, 2007 at 3:24 AM Post #349 of 516
I just ordered my um2's today!
icon10.gif
I also ordered the shure triflangs and wanted to know everyones opinion on them. Which is better the black foamies or the moded triflangs?? I have never used foamies before so i have no idea what to expect. I cant wait to get them in!!
tongue.gif

Jun 8, 2007 at 4:25 AM Post #350 of 516
If only UM2 didn't have slightly repressed highs...I'd be happy portably (Hornet definitely delivers the highs - UM2 just doesn't continue the process). Have even considered 'defecting' to Ety 4S but won't give up the comfort, ease of fit. Anyone compared Westone 3 & UM2 over some time to confirm those initial threads that said the cost of the better highs in the 3 was slightly less effective bass than the UM2?

Jun 11, 2007 at 5:58 AM Post #351 of 516
I have tried the triflanges (Etymotic) but are too uncomfortable unless used with the bi-flange mod. That works great and indeed the bass is less powerful and the highs sound brighter. I don't think the highs sound recessed, and if you want them brighter, just adjust the equalizer. I use the treeble boost in my Ipod. The cord is very comfortable, and after using the Shure E2 with its thick cord there is no way I would try the thin cords again. I would not buy the Westone 3 at this time or the Shure E530 since I am very happy with my purchase. Listening to Carmen (Bizet) is a joy. I will be flying tomorrow and will take my UM2's with me with several sleeves and see which one works better in a noisy environment. I aprreciate the urge to always want more (not just earphones) but like everyting in life you have to balance the cost vs the benefits. I do know everybody's ears and brains are different although in my book the UM2's are just perfect

Jun 13, 2007 at 2:05 AM Post #352 of 516
hi all - my recent search for a good pair of entry-level IEMs brought me to Head-Fi, and (partially due to the content of this thread) i recently bought myself the UM1. let me preface this question by making it clear that i have very little experience with hi-fi equipment in general, and this is the first real pair of IEMs i've owned (CX300s were my last earphones).

now that that's out of the way, my issue: i received my UM1 about 5 days ago, and my impressions have been mixed. i'm using them un-amplified, primarily with my iPod video (5g? 6g? new at the beginning of the year, so presumably the latest revision). some material sounds outstanding, while other material sounds far worse than it sounded on my CX300s. the Cannonball Adderly recording i'm listening to right now sounds excellent, but much of the rock and hip-hop in my collection sounds exceedingly muddy, and sometimes becomes distorted when a lot is going on at once (particularly when a good bit of bass is involved). this happens, to varying extents, at both lower and higher volumes. my questions are as follows: first, is this an expected result when using the UM1 with an iPod without any amplification? second, does it sound like an amp would help to fix this problem? if not, any other suggestions? i do like these IEMs for a lot of material, but i may have to return them if a big chunk of my library is reproduced so poorly.

thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me.

EDIT: i've realized that my major problem wasn't with the UM1, it was with my source material. after listening closely to the same recordings on my Senn HD525s (with and without my newly built CMoy), it became clear that what i THOUGHT was distortion on the UM1's part was actually distortion caused by poor or excessive compression. i was listening to different compressed copies of my reference albums than i'm used to, and it took me a few days to realize this. the UM1 still gets a bit muddy at times, and seems a bit weak at higher frequencies, but it's worlds better than i originally thought. i think i'll keep these phones after all.

Jun 13, 2007 at 2:29 AM Post #354 of 516
xmokshax

As a UM1 user, Amp do help a bit. but not to an extend it'll improve the rock and hiphop tracks dramatically. UM1 is known to be veil..
Maybe UM2 will be pretty much your taste.. Thumping Fun!!

Jun 13, 2007 at 3:19 AM Post #355 of 516
Just flew from California toMinnesota. Had my UM2's all the way with my Ipod Nano. Also I have walked around downtown Minneapolis where there is traffic. I enjoyed them a lot.
IMHO, here are my impressions with different sleeves: (pretty much in tune with a lot of people around here)
COMFORT: Comfy > Shure black foam > Etymotic Biflange (modified triflanges) > Triflanges.
ISOLATION: Triflanges > Biflanges > Comfy > Shure black foam. Biflanges great in flight, minimal noise.
BASS INTENSITY: Comfy > Biflanges/triflanges > Shure black foam.
Highs: biflanges/triflanges > Shure black foams > Complys.
Overall, the bass is cleaner and the highs are brighter with the biflanges than with any of the foam sleeves, as mentioned before by many of you.
Listening to Cecilia Bartoli sing Pergolesi, Sergio Luca with Bach's partitas for unacompannied violin, to Preservation Hall, and to Shirley Horne was very enjoyable.
Again like mentioned by many, I am surprised at how sound changes depending on the sleeves used. I will use the biflanges for running/cycling (because of sweat) and when flying/commuting (because of their noise isolation), and the Complys/Shure black foam (I like them both) when I wear them for extended periods of time at home, work, etc.

Jun 13, 2007 at 4:57 PM Post #356 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by danielson820 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i am having the exact same problems with my um2s, what tips are you using?

i'm using the black silicone tips from the Shure fit kit that i ordered along with my UM1. and yourself?

Quote:

Originally Posted by d0td0t /img/forum/go_quote.gif
xmokshax

As a UM1 user, Amp do help a bit. but not to an extend it'll improve the rock and hiphop tracks dramatically. UM1 is known to be veil..
Maybe UM2 will be pretty much your taste.. Thumping Fun!!

i'd love to just get the UM2 - it's entirely worth the upgrade, from the sounds of it. unfortunately, i just don't want to spend $300 on a pair of IEMs at this point. i "settled" for the UM1, thinking my relatively untrained ears would be perfectly pleased. as it turns out, they're perfectly pleased sometimes, and terribly insulted the rest of the time.
tongue.gif

Jun 13, 2007 at 7:01 PM Post #358 of 516
Yea, I owned the UM1 and found them incredibly muddy to the point of being almost unlistenable. (Keep in mind my regular headphones are modded K340) Thankfully the UM2 deliver there FAR better. Keeping the durability and comfort, just far better sound. I love these little things!

Also... moseboy? I just tried twisting the cable on both my earphones right next to the connector, and non of the cable inside budged at all, the wire just became more unravelled outside the plastic. So... not sure what the deal there is.

Jun 14, 2007 at 12:01 AM Post #359 of 516
anyone else have any feedback on whether or not amplification will help me out here? is this the type of thing i might run into if the headphones are being underdriven? if so, any recommendations for a good, relatively inexpensive portable headphone amp? i've looked at the airhead total... not entirely sure that i want to spend another $150, as if i do, i might as well have just bought the UM2 (although it would be nice to have a headphone amp either way). thoughts?

Jun 16, 2007 at 11:25 PM Post #360 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLeader /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also... moseboy? I just tried twisting the cable on both my earphones right next to the connector, and non of the cable inside budged at all, the wire just became more unravelled outside the plastic. So... not sure what the deal there is.

It's alright, I'm returning them anyway. I realized not long after I posted that message that the UM2's sound just isn't for me. When I was talking about the sound quality, at the time, I was listening to an instrumental (for testing purposes) that sounded just fantastic on them, and my last message on this thread shows that. However, after I submitted my post, I went back to listening to some of my favorite non-instrumental songs, and the UM2's biggest flaw (to me) just slapped me in the face: sibilance. Which made me so mad because if it wasn't for that, I would be so happy with them (a little heavy on the bass, but I could get used to that). But sibilance is something I can't deal with. (I found this out first-hand with my first IEM's, the v-moda Vibes.)

Now, I know that this is the Westone "Appreciation" Thread, so I will say this: If you don't find the UM2's to have any blatantly annoying issues as far as sound goes, you will love them for what they are (a very fun and enjoyable IEM). Unfortunately this isn't the case for me, but that's why different IEM's exist, right?
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back