The Westone UM1/UM2 Appreciation Thread
Mar 1, 2007 at 6:22 AM Post #256 of 516
So, any mods akin to the super.fi ones yet?
biggrin.gif

Mar 4, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #258 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by webbie64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi. Just joined Club UM2 and boy they are fiddly little buggers. BTW, for now I'm using complys, considering a UM56.

Wow. Headphones fit everyone differently. I'm using the Shure bi-flanges--and they're the least "fiddly" IEMs I've ever tried (albeit I haven't tried a long list). They absolutely fit in my ear perfectly and stay there.

Can't help but wonder about the custom tips but the biflanges really fit me well.

Mar 4, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #259 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomjonesrocks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow. Headphones fit everyone differently. I'm using the Shure bi-flanges--and they're the least "fiddly" IEMs I've ever tried (albeit I haven't tried a long list). They absolutely fit in my ear perfectly and stay there.

Can't help but wonder about the custom tips but the biflanges really fit me well.

+1
One of the best things about the UM2 - just stick and go. I find this the case with one of the sure rubber flanges (single things) or the bi-flange (which I use the most). I do not use the foamies as the single or bi's are just so easy to put in and remove, sound great and isloate plenty.

Mar 4, 2007 at 6:33 PM Post #261 of 516
The bi-flanges do make a difference, particularly with the seal and most particularly when you've improved the input source - my NW-HD5 is quite good when walking but add a Total Bithead 06 and now I'm hearing far more of what's there - better to be bulky and happy than merely comfortable and pleased
wink.gif
[Note - the seal does, naturally, add to any reverberating sound from footfalls when walking so when jogging I still use Complys, sound is still quite good - more than sufficient for that level of activity - and footfall 'thuds' are significantly reduced].

Mar 5, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #262 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by webbie64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The bi-flanges do make a difference, particularly with the seal

Well, hello there.
Will you still be getting the UM56?
cheers
k_

Mar 5, 2007 at 1:58 AM Post #263 of 516
I think I'm in the same boat as you at the moment - allowing some time with the biflanges before deciding on whether to make the UM56 financial commitment.

Cheers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by k371n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, hello there.
Will you still be getting the UM56?
cheers
k_

Mar 13, 2007 at 4:07 AM Post #264 of 516
I am very close to purchasing a pair of Westone UM1s. It costs allot to ship to New Zealand and I wonder if I should get some spare tips or the Shure Fit Kit.

How long do the comply tips last, and what do you guys buy as replacements?

Mar 13, 2007 at 7:55 AM Post #266 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by Entropy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am very close to purchasing a pair of Westone UM1s. It costs allot to ship to New Zealand and I wonder if I should get some spare tips or the Shure Fit Kit.

How long the complys last depends on how heavy your usage is and how dirty it looks. I have used my um1s with Shure's grey sleeves and yellow foamies before, didn't have any problems.

Mar 13, 2007 at 10:09 AM Post #267 of 516
I didn't use the complys for too long since I found the biflanges to be way better for me. Comfort, isolation, durability and SQ are all way better using them. Based on my short experiment with complys, I think they really wont last too long. After only one week they were already quite dirty. After two weeks I just had to wash them. That did the trick, but it also stiffened the complys a bit. I think that after 3-5 washes they lose their elasticity and become useless.

This is of course only in my use with my ears. Could be different with others. Nevertheless, I would suggest at least trying some triflanges chopped to biflanges. Also the new Shure sleeves sound promising since they can endure the washing much better than complys. You just have to try those things yourself
biggrin.gif

Mar 13, 2007 at 1:08 PM Post #268 of 516
I had the UM2's for a while (I returned them when I gave into my lust to get customs) and I found the bi-flange to be far and away the best option. Foamies did not do it for me . . . I have little interest in replacing them often and I take my IEM's in and out a lot.

Mar 13, 2007 at 7:22 PM Post #269 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by Entropy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The comply tips are very soft and I would think deteriorate more quickly than the Shure triple flange sleeves. I haven't had mine that long to find out for sure.

I ordered the triple flanges sleeves and modified them to be bi-flange which makes them more comfortable than leaving them triple.

Here's my opinion on the tips:

Comply tips are comfortable, easy to put in but do not give as good seal as the bi-flanges. The bi-flanges for my ears are just as comfortable as the complys. One doesn't need to shove the bi-flanges very far in the ear to get a good seal. Hence, there is less pressure on the ear canal and less, if any, long term pain with them -- I've found.

Hope my experience is helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back