The Westone UM1/UM2 Appreciation Thread
Mar 16, 2007 at 12:44 PM Post #286 of 516
Hey, for all you other UM2 users out there... I got some of the new Shure black foam tips yesterday and they are a must-have for UM2s. Isolation is great, sound is spectacular( much better that complies), they look really nice, they are easy to clean. Only thing is, I think I should've ordered the small tips. They are pretty comfortable, but maybe a tad large for me. The complies are still more comfortable, but everything just sounds better with these new tips. Bass seems tighter, highs seem crisper. I definitely recommend the new shure tips. Wish they weren't so expensive though. I got mine at earphonesolutions for around $20(5 pack). They should last me a long time though...much longer than the complies.

Apr 4, 2007 at 8:42 AM Post #288 of 516
i got my UM2 back from RMA. Piped out of a 1st gen Shuffle, it doesn't sound "right" like a Sony E888. But once the percussion hits come in, there's simply no contest
280smile.gif

For general listening and vocals, the UM2 doesn't quite stack up to the Sony though.

Apr 4, 2007 at 8:45 AM Post #289 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ymer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excuse a Westone noob, will the UM2s require amplification to sound its best with portables? MP3 players, PMPs, DS, PSP, etc...

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

I noticed one crapload of a different going from iPod headphone out to iPod lineout -> Xin SuperMacro III. The biggest difference, in fact, that I've ever heard with any source or amp upgrade
wink.gif

Apr 4, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #290 of 516
Are um2s muddy right from the box and need breaking in to get some clarity? Cause comparing them to super.fi 3 which i have been using these are my impressions:

Short Complys : extreme mud
NEW Shure olive foamies: not as much mud as complys, but still lots of mud
Shure soft-flex: less mud than olive foamies, but still mud
Shure clear-flex: slightly muddy, more highs, less lows
Shure bi-flange: almost as clear as super.fi 3, lots more bass -> i have been using these mostly as a result

do i just need to get used to the sound signature, or should i see what my impressions are a week from now?

confused.gif

Apr 5, 2007 at 3:42 AM Post #291 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by Walie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are um2s muddy right from the box and need breaking in to get some clarity? Cause comparing them to super.fi 3 which i have been using these are my impressions:

Shure bi-flange: almost as clear as super.fi 3, lots more bass -> i have been using these mostly as a result

do i just need to get used to the sound signature, or should i see what my impressions are a week from now?

confused.gif

Yes, by all means give it a week or so. I came in from Ety ER-4Ps, and the UM2s sounded shockingly muddy and bloated for the first 3-5 days of regular use and then they just cleared up and started sounding great - so much so that I suspected it was my brain's adjusting to them and not the phones themselves - whatever, they've sounded sweet ever since. FWIW, I prefer Shure grey softips (large) on mine. Good luck.
3000smile.gif

Apr 5, 2007 at 4:51 AM Post #292 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by flamerz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought I should post this in this thread, if any. After rolling more coins together, I now have $250 to spend on UM2's! Still, I'm hoping to wait for a price drop after UM3's come out, but I definitely have the funds on hand now.
biggrin.gif

Any idea on when it's coming out? I read March in the official thread, but it's already April
frown.gif

Apr 5, 2007 at 10:39 AM Post #293 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by phyrefly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any idea on when it's coming out? I read March in the official thread, but it's already April
frown.gif

Powerhound said Headfest '07. If that means it will be available through stores by then or there will be a few for sale at the meet he didn't clairfy.

Apr 5, 2007 at 11:02 AM Post #294 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by Walie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

confused.gif

As fredman said, they will improve with time. I connected mine to my computer, sat them on the table, put a glass over them and let them play for a few days.

As far as the best sound from UM2's, UM56's win hands down. I really like the bass to treble ratio with this combo. I came from Shure E500's and preferred the UM2's to the E500's when both were with Complys, so I need bass to be happy. The UM2's with UM56's are the first time I've been happy with earphones. Plus the added bonus you can wear them seemingly indefinitely with excellent isolation.

Apr 13, 2007 at 5:30 PM Post #295 of 516
Well.. I sold my UM2s last night since i don't get much portable use these days.

Had to pick up a more budget set of IEMs for the odd time i go portable though (can't go back to buds now), so i just made my order for the UM1s (and a set for a friend!).

Can't wait to hear the difference. I can deal with a lesser than UM2 sound, but I dreaded going back to buds.

Apr 13, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #296 of 516
Hi Guys!!!

Today i bought my first UM2s!!!
smily_headphones1.gif
I bought them from www.marcopolo.ca. I got them in 2 hours after i ordered them, cus me and the dealer live in the same city Toronto. I suggest u guys buy from this guy, he even gave me 3 pairs of tri-flanges free. Also he ships almost everywhere FREE!!! Im not advertizing, just saying how easy was to get these earphones.

Man the sound is amaizing on them. Compared to E2C i already own its like earth and sky. Great bass and detailed sound really great for Trance music. Im enjoing them right now very much! E2c prabably will go to my grandma!
smily_headphones1.gif

I really suggest in purchasing them!

Apr 16, 2007 at 10:04 AM Post #297 of 516
!!!!!!!!!!!!Somehow i got blue tack in the left earphone of my Um1s and what's worst the other sound softer than the right one !!!!! i tried removing it using the pin that come along with um1 . Still little bit of bluetacks are left . From what i can see the filter is abit blurry . Are there any ways of removing the filters or replacing it or even taking out the blue tacks ?

I tried vacuming

Apr 16, 2007 at 1:17 PM Post #299 of 516
Help i got sticky bluetacks at the outerlayer of the filters , tried using a pin taking them out but stucked .!!!! Painiccc!!!!!!

I have an idea of using super glue and attacthing it to the filter with a string
to pull them out . Is it a a sure work method ? i need help!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back