The Westone UM1/UM2 Appreciation Thread
Apr 16, 2007 at 5:33 PM Post #301 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by Noback /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Help i got sticky bluetacks at the outerlayer of the filters , tried using a pin taking them out but stucked .!!!! Painiccc!!!!!!

I have an idea of using super glue and attacthing it to the filter with a string
to pull them out . Is it a a sure work method ? i need help!!

If it was me I would use a 5X eye loop and something like a paper clip. You might need to sharpen the paper clip to get through the holes in the filter/screen. I didn't know Westone used filter/screens. Magnification is the important part. You need to see what you are doing to pick it out.

Apr 16, 2007 at 6:22 PM Post #302 of 516
I'm thinking of pairing the Um1s with the shure black foamies to add some more bass, does anyone find that makes a noticeable difference?

And can anyone compare the bass in the um1s to the shure e2cs or the marshmallows? So far, those are my only reference points, so any help would be appreciated. Clarity of treble comparisions would be nice too.

Seems like a lot of people are happy with the tri/ bi-flange tip, should I give those a go or just stick with the foamies? How comfortable are the tri/ bi-flange tips for extended periods of time?

And if anyone is interested, there is a canadian black foamies group buy going on in another thread.

Apr 16, 2007 at 7:27 PM Post #303 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm thinking of pairing the Um1s with the shure black foamies to add some more bass, does anyone find that makes a noticeable difference?

And can anyone compare the bass in the um1s to the shure e2cs or the marshmallows? So far, those are my only reference points, so any help would be appreciated. Clarity of treble comparisions would be nice too.

Seems like a lot of people are happy with the tri/ bi-flange tip, should I give those a go or just stick with the foamies? How comfortable are the tri/ bi-flange tips for extended periods of time?

And if anyone is interested, there is a canadian black foamies group buy going on in another thread.

The black foamies are great. They're extremely comforable, and if you get the right size, isolate well. Size is very important. If you don't get a good seal, they sound very anemic. I just discovered this thread today and I'm ready lots of people complaining about the bass in the UM1. They aren't getting a good seal with the comply tips. The comply tips are rather small and don't seal my ears at all. I was using the Shure soft flex tips until I got the black foamies last week.

I've never heard the E2c or marshmallows so I can't compare them to the UM1, but I can say that the UM1 is not a bass heavy IEM. They have very good bass but it is balanced with the mids and highs IMO. I also have E3c which is tilted more towards the bass than the UM1.

Apr 19, 2007 at 5:47 PM Post #305 of 516
I received my custom-fits for the UM1s yesterday. They definitely make a difference -- bass is deeper with good definition and the highs are stronger and distinct. The sound quality is improved, I hate to say dramatically, but I will say very noticeably. I'm satisfied with the sound.

However, I do have issues about how one is suppose to attach the custom pieces to the UMs. The pieces themselves are an odd twisted shape. I fiddled and fiddled until I could the things in my ears but the UM1s stick out from the ear and do not lie flat. I couldn't see how to get them to lie flat. It's a comfortable fit and the sound is good so I get that's the important thing. But I do wish that Westone published images of how the UM1s should like when inserted in the ear with custom-fits. Has anyone else had similar problems?

Apr 19, 2007 at 5:59 PM Post #306 of 516
The nozzle should be inserted all the way into the bore of the earpiece. There is always a chance that this may happen depending on the size of your ear, but if it does "stick out", it should only be a few mm in length.
I'll see if I can find an image showing this.

Apr 19, 2007 at 6:00 PM Post #307 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by Noback /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mhmm Can i remove the filter as in the whole metal thing inside ?

You can, but it will jack up the sound. The filters are also acoustic dampeners so they shape the sound a little as well.

Apr 19, 2007 at 8:22 PM Post #308 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can, but it will jack up the sound. The filters are also acoustic dampeners so they shape the sound a little as well.

Could you be a little more specific? How does it affect the sound? For example, does it jack up the high end? Howmuch etc. Also, how do you get them out?

Apr 20, 2007 at 6:12 PM Post #310 of 516
So my UM1s showed up yesterday. I have to say that on initial listening with my setup I actually prefer them to the UM2s I sold last weeks.

While the sound from the UM2s is better, I found their extremely high sensitivity to be a detriment to the sound quality. Out of every source I tried I would always get background hiss that would lower the enjoyment of them. I used a volume adapter to cut out the hiss, but I found it also lowered the quality of the sound and made the portability of the setup a bit less convinient.

Now with the UM1s and my new portable DAP (Samsung YP-K3), i get a nice black background to really enjoy the sound I'm getting.

I also was able to sell the Um2s and get the UM1 + a new DAP for basically the same cost with gives me an upgrade to the first gen 512MB shuffle I was using before
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 20, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #311 of 516
I had UM2s for few years now. I can't say enough about these IEMs. They are the most comfortable of all IEMs i have used. I had them on once for 8 hrs straight and couldn't feel them. Also they sound great as is and excellent when you amp them. I could pay lot more for them than the $329 price. I waiting to see how UM3s shape up. I was going to get ES2 but i will wait..

Apr 20, 2007 at 7:57 PM Post #312 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by schapman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So my UM1s showed up yesterday. I have to say that on initial listening with my setup I actually prefer them to the UM2s I sold last weeks.

While the sound from the UM2s is better, I found their extremely high sensitivity to be a detriment to the sound quality. Out of every source I tried I would always get background hiss that would lower the enjoyment of them. I used a volume adapter to cut out the hiss, but I found it also lowered the quality of the sound and made the portability of the setup a bit less convinient.

Now with the UM1s and my new portable DAP (Samsung YP-K3), i get a nice black background to really enjoy the sound I'm getting.

I also was able to sell the Um2s and get the UM1 + a new DAP for basically the same cost with gives me an upgrade to the first gen 512MB shuffle I was using before
smily_headphones1.gif

I happy you're happy with your new rig, but I owned UM1s and 2s simultaneously for almost a year, and I thought UM2s did EVERYTHING better than the 1s. That's why I ended up selling the 1s.

Apr 20, 2007 at 8:12 PM Post #313 of 516
I initially sold the UM2s because I don't really need a portable rig. I still wanted an option for one though so the UM1s are ideal for the small amount of time I need portability.

Getting an upgrade to the DAP is nice too since I prefer to have a screen on my mp3 player, and now I can give the shuffle to the wife.

Apr 24, 2007 at 11:29 PM Post #314 of 516
I agree that the UM2s do everything better than the UM1s. I've just received mine today from another head-fier and so far I'm very, very pleased. The detail isn't as in your face as the Ety ER4S which I had for a while, but the stronger bass gives it a better overall balance esp while on the go. I'm definitely a Westone fan, and will probably be lookin at the Three or ES2 when I can afford them. Best design for IEMS for sure. I sold the etys due to comfort problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back