The Westone UM1/UM2 Appreciation Thread
Feb 3, 2007 at 7:27 AM Post #241 of 516
I just got back from walking my Great friggin Dane 11 month old friggin disobedient mind of his own piece of sh** puppy with my UM2/um56 combo and Stevie Ray Vaughan's (may he rest in peace) "The Sky is Crying" in 10 below zero temps and I have to say it was beyond moving. The colder I got the better it sounded. UM2s are special.

Feb 4, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #242 of 516
I got UM1s 2 weeks ago and lovin them. Comfort is amazing, i listen to them for as long as my ipod has batteries without any discomfort. also sleep with them. I have im716s sitting in its original packaging still cause i am so satisfied with ums. Also, um1s have little to no microphonics and are very lightweight. im afraid that the im716s brick volume control will make it too heavy. um1s: great value

Feb 5, 2007 at 5:07 AM Post #243 of 516
I got the UM1s for plane trips. They come with the plane adapter. They're as comfortable as you can get with this type of phone. Clarity is outstanding however they are a bit thin sounding to my ears. I'm still breaking them in. For fatigue-free sound give me my HD580s any day.

Feb 14, 2007 at 1:20 AM Post #244 of 516
what?
Here are some updates/my notes on tips + um2..

why?
These notes are mainly for my re-collection
wink.gif

Maybe it could help someone compare and contrast their experiences with
using different UM2 tips.

history:
I've had my um2 for a few months already.
Sometime in my tests I did change to a tomahawk,
so it could've influenced my listening notes.

some subjective notes:
* Seal is paramount (regardless of how good the recommended tips are)!
* Supplied short/long complies were not thick enough for a good seal
* Tried all tips in the Shure fit kit,
the ones I liked I had on for a few weeks before switching
- all had good seal except the clear flex ones, all sizes
they were too hard for my inner ears, no seal whatsoever
- best comfort/fit were the yellow foams
but in my ears the sound was a little muffled,
as if attenuated by the soft foam, bass was more but less reverberant with some bloom
- next up was the mid grey flex, best fit with a "pop"
less muffled/more clarity across the range including bass, tighter and reverberant
I had this on the longest.
Voices seemed a little recessed in the whole music presentation.
Good headstage, perceived ~2-3" to the sides and front and ~1" to the rear.
But this could be due to the tomahawk > 400 hours
biggrin.gif

- currently using a Shure tri-flange modded to bi-flange
It's still new to me since I received this yesterday.
First-off I was concerned it would not fit well expecting it to be
as hard as the clear flex. It is also the longest tip of the lot.
But I did like the UE biflange the best of the supplied UE tips.
- Immediate observations, best clarity across the range so far.
Bass tightened a lot more, less reverberant, little or no bloom.
Voices are now a little more forward or in line with the music presentation.
I think I loss a little bit of depth in my headstage, need to listen some more.
However it's a little bit wider since the sound is tipped more towards the highs.
With this I do get a little more sibilance, or the current setup just shows the
poor recording.
Need to spend several more weeks on this tip.

what next?
* UM56 / W3 / customs?
I'm not sure if that is money well spent considering that my setup above
is purely for portable/work/outdoor use.
* Money that could be spent on a dedicated home amp/headphone setup
wink.gif

* For now the bi-flange should/will do me fine.

cheers all
k_

Feb 24, 2007 at 10:49 AM Post #245 of 516
I finally pulled the trigger on UM2s after debating quite awhile on whether or not I wanted to wait on the Westone 3 or going with E500. UM2 seemed (after reading what users had to say about them) a better choice for me than E500, and ultimately I was put off by the proposed Westone 3 MSRP.

** One question: where are those of you using Etymotic flange tips buying them? And will any Etymotic triflange fit the UM2? **

I'm not finding them separately from any retailer. Those from borrowing a friend's ER4Ss fit me well--would like to order some to have at the ready when my UM2s arrive.

Feb 24, 2007 at 11:25 AM Post #246 of 516
I bought Shure triple flanges from earphonesolutions with my UM1's. They fit perfectly and after modding them to bi-flanges they surely are my favourites.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 24, 2007 at 2:28 PM Post #247 of 516
Quote:

** One question: where are those of you using Etymotic flange tips buying them? And will any Etymotic triflange fit the UM2? **

Yeah Ety tips fit the UM2s nicely just like the Shures. I get them at a local store in Singapore but I guess you can order them at earphonesolutions as well.

Feb 25, 2007 at 1:03 AM Post #248 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by solo2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah Ety tips fit the UM2s nicely just like the Shures. I get them at a local store in Singapore but I guess you can order them at earphonesolutions as well.

I see the Shure triflanges but not the Ety triflanges at earphonesolutions. Under "ACCESSORIES FOR ETYMOTIC EARPHONES" there are no tips.

Feb 25, 2007 at 2:34 PM Post #249 of 516
I have UM2's and love them. Took a few days for them to open up/burn in (count me as someone who believes this does make a difference with these IEMs). Great sound, detail, and comfort. Wonderful from bass to the top end.

I use Shure tri's cut to bi's and they are perfect.

Feb 28, 2007 at 9:51 PM Post #250 of 516
Just got the UM2s I ordered--Earphone Solutions shipped these quite quickly.

Out of the box I'm really impressed. Comfort far and away superior to anything I've tried from an IEM standpoint. I feel like they're doing a good job out of the box--will be really impressed if they sound even better after some extended listening.

And the Shure triflanges cut to biflanges was excellent advice. These really work well with those.

Also have to agree that the wimpy plastic cord tightener is something of a joke though--probably will cut that thing right off. The cord that hangs down doesn't really hang that low on me anyway. Unsure if you're supposed to zip it up like a big brim hat cord to your chin but I'll never be using it.

From what I'm hearing I don't think I'll be regretting going with UM2 instead of UM3--at least not with UM3's $399 MSRP.

I wouldn't mind a clip for the cord so they'll just hang down when I have to take them out. Does a little clip for these exist?

Feb 28, 2007 at 10:05 PM Post #251 of 516
Quote:

Also have to agree that the wimpy plastic cord tightener is something of a joke though--probably will cut that thing right off. The cord that hangs down doesn't really hang that low on me anyway. Unsure if you're supposed to zip it up like a big brim hat cord to your chin but I'll never be using it.

You would only use the zipper on the cord if you wear the cord over your ear and behind your neck, not to your chin... unless your into that sort of thing. :wink:

Feb 28, 2007 at 10:35 PM Post #252 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You would only use the zipper on the cord if you wear the cord over your ear and behind your neck, not to your chin... unless your into that sort of thing. :wink:

Oh, really--*behind* your head. I'll have to try that.

Do you get more used to taking these things out the more you use them? They go *in* very easy but just getting a grip on the things to take them out I haven't quite gotten the hang of.

Feb 28, 2007 at 11:00 PM Post #254 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomjonesrocks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, really--*behind* your head. I'll have to try that.

Do you get more used to taking these things out the more you use them? They go *in* very easy but just getting a grip on the things to take them out I haven't quite gotten the hang of.

Yep, put them in and flip the cable up and over you ear. The "y" should be on your neck. The cable can then either go down your side or flip it over your should to your front. Either way works.

Mar 1, 2007 at 6:20 AM Post #255 of 516
Yeah, I would actually recommend that cables behind your head approach. I like to have them hidden there so the cable wont get stuck to my hands etc. When you use them that way the small glider/slider comes quite handy. Not too sure of its durability though.

Don't worry about the plugging them in and out thing. IEMs take a little while to get used to, but once you do they are quite easy to use.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back