The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 23, 2024 at 11:51 AM Post #89,821 of 91,354
Both @Rockwell75 and I fell for it hard on the first listen, even though we have somewhat different preferences overall. Above and beyond its sound, in order for something to resonate with both of us at once, that signals to me that there's something truly unique about it.
Definitely sounds like one to look out for! I'll keep tabs on it.

May 23, 2024 at 11:54 AM Post #89,822 of 91,354
It's been a combination of both purchases and units I've heard borrowed from friends - Fiio FD11, SGOR Adonis, Tangzu Wan ER, KZ D-Fi, KZ Vader, KZ AS16 Pro X, KZ ESX, CCA Lyra, CCA Hydro, KZ Castor (both Harman target and "improved bass" version), TRN Azure Dragon, NiceHCK Himalaya, ND X12, CJV Konoka, 7hz Zero 2, KZ EDX Pro, KZ x HBB PR2, ARTTI R3 and more that I honestly cannot remember.

It's fun and refreshing to roll around a new territory I haven't ventured in deeply ☺️

lol, we have the Wan'Er and EDX Pro as direct overlaps! :relaxed:

I'm sticking to the stock cables for this, as that's what people typically have access to when they buy it... but lol that you're using summit-fi cable and MASS-Kobo! That's how Watercooler does ChiFi! 🤣

May 23, 2024 at 12:06 PM Post #89,823 of 91,354
Maybe offtopic, but sweet keyboard you got there. Custom?
Yes!
It's my first custom keyboard I've built ☺️But I will defer myself to @Sifo as he's the real expert in that hobby.

Yo bro! Super glad to run into you every now and then!

Are you trying to find out what they can deliver with a better source and cable than you'd normally do in the price class? Like, seeing how well they scale and perhaps coming to the conclusion it's not necessarily the IEM that makes or breaks your entry into head-fi heaven?

I once did something similar with Rogers LS3/5a speakers ($1.500 per pair at the time), put them on a top notch chain, then compare them with speakers 10 times the price. Some extremely serious surprises, so if you're in for that...

drftr
I miss you Joop!
I love everyone here and occasionally drop by to see the latest conversation trending.

To answer your question, I've found our audiophile experience to be determined by the entire chain of gears, hence I place so much emphasis in searching for synergy and maximum utilization of everything I have available. My latest fanatic has been experimenting with different usb-c cables haha

The iem itself do "make or break" my entry-level heaven, but I've never allowed myself to jump to conclusions too quickly without fully exploring the capacity of what it can offer.

The problem with budget-fi is its low price floor to allow any companies to join the competition, which will inevitably saturate the market with less-than poor mediocre iems. But there really have been nice offerings nowadays especially from newer models, which is why I've found myself content to be here after years of chasing summit-end flagship.

But this may be a temporary euphoria as I occasionally get intoxicated by what the highest-end iems can bring haha

Absolutely loved my time with Pmg APX and I'm aware Dio is already near completion phase after my recent time spent with @Suyang and Lee (Elysian Audio)

Last edited:
May 23, 2024 at 12:23 PM Post #89,824 of 91,354
Yes!
It's my first custom keyboard I've built ☺️But I will defer myself to @Sifo as he's the real expert in that hobby.

I miss you Joop!
I love everyone here and occasionally drop by to see the latest conversation trending.

To answer your question, I've found our audiophile experience to be determined by the entire chain of gears, hence I place so much emphasis in searching for synergy and maximum utilization of everything I have available. My latest fanatic has been experimenting with different usb-c cables haha

The iem itself do "make or break" my entry-level heaven, but I've never allowed myself to jump to conclusions too quickly without fully exploring the capacity of what it can offer.

The problem with budget-fi is its low price floor to allow any companies to join the competition, which will inevitably saturate the market with less-than poor mediocre iems. But there really have been nice offerings nowadays especially from newer models, which is why I've found myself content to be here after years of chasing summit-end flagship.

But this may be a temporary euphoria as I occasionally get intoxicated by summit-fi flagships haha

Absolutely loved my time with Pmg APX and I'm aware Dio is already near completion phase after my recent time spent with @Suyang and Lee (Elysian Audio)

Great to see you're still with us my friend :)

May 23, 2024 at 12:43 PM Post #89,826 of 91,354
Running my favorite IEM off the headphone output of my favorite speaker amplifier of all time, the Accuphase e800. Accuphase is a 50-year old Japanese powerhouse of a brand. The e800 is their 35 kilogram, $15,000, Class A flagship amplifier. Crazy, yes. But sounds crazy good as well. 😂

IMG_1197.jpeg
do you prefer the accuphase over the mcintosh? I really like the preamp section on the accuphase but it's not practical to sit on the floor to listen to headphones lol

May 23, 2024 at 12:54 PM Post #89,827 of 91,354
May 23, 2024 at 12:58 PM Post #89,828 of 91,354
lol, we have the Wan'Er and EDX Pro as direct overlaps! :relaxed:

I'm sticking to the stock cables for this, as that's what people typically have access to when they buy it... but lol that you're using summit-fi cable and MASS-Kobo! That's how Watercooler does ChiFi! 🤣
I think it's a pretty fun thing to do actually. For the cost of an average dinner, I got 4 different chifi, the CCA Trio being one as you know.

I ditched those stock cables tho, they are awful and just a means to an end. At least give them a cheap upgrade cable, they don't need orphy!

@SteveK27 is right, plug some of these iems into your typical chain and be very surprised!

May 23, 2024 at 1:07 PM Post #89,830 of 91,354
think it's a pretty fun thing to do actually. For the cost of an average dinner, I got 4 different chifi, the CCA Trio being one as you know.
Claims of the Trio overshadowing TOTL were massively overstated, but the 150-200 dollar range?…

Diminishing returns are getting very serious.

May 23, 2024 at 1:24 PM Post #89,831 of 91,354
That is the best thing that has ever happened to a cybertruck, ever.
You mean better than this? :smirk:

1716485021408.png

May 23, 2024 at 1:31 PM Post #89,832 of 91,354
Yes ok, I knew that too. But that's why I'm wondering whether and to what extent desktop DAC/AMP stacks are suitable for IEMs. @Sajid Amit and @Simpeler wrote that the desktop equipment they tried was so great... if that means that the sound changes as I said, then I don't know...
It has to do with the quality of the amplifier. And you also would need one that is quiet enough for something as sensitive as IEMs as these amps were typically made for speakers and some HPs requiring watts, not milliwatts. However, once you have found some that work, the bass will usually be ratcheted up, the mids more present and even a clearer or possibly warmer but still more detailed treble. These differences are of course slight, so you need to demo a setup in a good listening environment first. But they are superior to portable amps.

For me, I recommend the Holo Bliss and Uber expensive MK-465. I still prefer HPs on both simply because I have longer cables on them, so more convenient. You could always get an extension cable though.

I have found the Boulder 812 DAC/Pre to be excellent with IEMs as well if you ever see one of them around ( possibly in a 2-channel audio store ). There are many more options I am sure.

May 23, 2024 at 1:33 PM Post #89,833 of 91,354
I think it's a pretty fun thing to do actually. For the cost of an average dinner, I got 4 different chifi, the CCA Trio being one as you know.

I ditched those stock cables tho, they are awful and just a means to an end. At least give them a cheap upgrade cable, they don't need orphy!

@SteveK27 is right, plug some of these iems into your typical chain and be very surprised!
It is actually quite amazing what a decent cable makes of the sub 100Eur Chifi IEMs.

May 23, 2024 at 1:40 PM Post #89,834 of 91,354

Claims of the Trio overshadowing TOTL were massively overstated, but the 150-200 dollar range?…

Diminishing returns are getting very serious.
I have the Trio now and it is very fun! Definitely stacks up well against iems 10 times the price. I agree about the stock cable too. Just toss on a $20 ivipq or Xinhs and you're good to go.

May 23, 2024 at 1:51 PM Post #89,835 of 91,354
I have the Trio now and it is very fun! Definitely stacks up well against iems 10 times the price.

Yeah, it's definitely a case of even if they all suck, I wouldn't care. :smile: The knowledge gained, or curiosity satisfied rather, is far more valuable.

It is actually quite amazing what a decent cable makes of the sub 100Eur Chifi IEMs.
I agree about the stock cable too. Just toss on a $20 ivipq or Xinhs and you're good to go.

lol, nope, I'm sticking with the stock cables for all of these. If the mfgs wanted me to experience better, then they should have included better. Or, let me put it this way: if I have to substitute the stock cable with another in my inventory, the cheapest of which would be ten times the price of their unit, then their value proposition is totally lost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back