The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 6, 2024 at 7:53 AM Post #88,456 of 90,067
Another gem from Seba I used often for bass relaxation :D :

Seba is phenomenal. Frustratingly TIDAL has about 50 artists called Seba and lumps them all together as one artist!!!

There was one tune with Robert Manos that was an absolute favourite of mine... I had a quick look and can't find it... they did a lot together. It may well be their biggest track.
My preference typically has been atmospheric dnb and certainly the early GLR vibes - LTJ Bukem etc… Horizons an absolute classic. ASC is very much a continuation of that genre.

May 6, 2024 at 8:04 AM Post #88,457 of 90,067
My preference typically has been atmospheric dnb and certainly the early GLR vibes - LTJ Bukem etc… Horizons an absolute classic. ASC is very much a continuation of that genre.

Bukem toughened his sound up significantly early 00's & has kept that up - def more my thing. He's always been a ridiculously good DJ technically, but I didn't love a lot of what he played in the 90s. I preferred V Recordings, Ed Rush & Optical, the earlier Ram Recs stuff, Full Cycle & it's sister label, Dope Dragon. All a good bit tougher but still decent music...

I used to make tunes with Makoto, who was signed to GLO. We had a big bust up when Mak was leaving thr label (Bukem vs Mak & I), but we're all good now & I've booked Danny a few times since... maybe six shows, 3 or 4 with Conrad & 2 or 3 after they split.

Horizons is fantastic. As is Music. But my personal favourite was...

May 6, 2024 at 9:04 AM Post #88,458 of 90,067
And gotta pay tribute to the guy who left us few days ago:

"Golden girl"though was my favorite track and always throws me back to the festival in my city 2004:

May 6, 2024 at 9:09 AM Post #88,459 of 90,067
After reading through several reviews, I've decided to pull the trigger on the Ambient Acoustics MAD24. Lately I've been pursuing IEMs that provide me a unique and different experience from the usual TOTL configurations. This was triggered by my latest acquisition - the CA Trifecta. It's refreshing when you experience a new way of listening to your favorite tunes or gear after such long time in the hobby...

The fact that called my attention to the MAD24 and made me share in this thread is that all the reviews I read about it are relatively old (dating from 2020/21) and I was surprised to know that there are a few updates on tunning and packaging made by Ambient Acoustics lately.

The major update seems to be the size of the shells: apparently they addressed the complaints about fitting and reduced the size of the UIEM and the sound bore size as well, making it more comfortable to wear. Also they informed me that they made adjustments in the tunning, to have a more linear FR. Unfortunately I didn't try the MAD24 before to compare but those seems to be significant improvements to the product, in case someone is still curious about it.

I was also happy to get a unique faceplate they made for an exhibition to show a new opal color. The leather case seems to be new as well. Below is the pic of my incoming new toy:

WhatsApp Image 2024-05-06 at 12.30.05.jpeg

I should be receiving the IEM later in the week and will share some impressions soon :)

May 6, 2024 at 9:25 AM Post #88,460 of 90,067
Great, thorough review, Alex! I listened at CanJam and was also really impressed. Interesting that you paired with C9, that's a lot of tube goodness, but you liked it...do you think it would pair well with the PB5?

That is a good question because in N3Ultra tubes are part of the timbre section for both PO and LO. Had to charge up PB5 to test this scenario, and it works quite well from 4.4mm LO of N3U to PB5. Typical of PB5, L/R separation spreads even wider, wrapping around your head, a bit more lift in sub-bass rumble, and warmer mids. But no loss in resolution because it is compensated with a bit more sparkle in treble. PB5 is something else :wink: I mentioned to Paul/iBasso many times they should consider combining D16/PB5 into DX400Max in the future :D

May 6, 2024 at 10:18 AM Post #88,461 of 90,067
Hey guys,

I'm super excited to share my latest and biggest upgrade to my chain 😂

I've got the legendary Cooler N30LE leather case, crafted by my master casemaker in China. Believe it or not, this watercooler icon has expanded the soundstage by 20%, and the harmonics just sound more present via my N30LE AP. We're talking great bass energy and an impressive sub-bass rumble, etc., etc...

Alright, joke aside, this is a really cool leather case that I'm thrilled to share with you all. And a huge shoutout to Jim @HiFiHawaii808 for picking this icon on the watercooler tags, that made this possible!

IMG_6326.jpeg

IMG_6322.jpeg

IMG_6327.jpeg

Last edited:
May 6, 2024 at 10:20 AM Post #88,462 of 90,067
Hey guys,

I'm super excited to share my latest and biggest upgrade to my chain 😂

I've got the legendary Cooler N30LE leather case, crafted by my master casemaker in China. Believe it or not, this water cooler icon has expanded the soundstage by 20%, and the harmonics just sound more present via my N30LE AP. We're talking great bass energy and an impressive sub-bass rumble, etc., etc...

Alright, joke aside, this is a really cool leather case that I'm thrilled to share with you all. And a huge shoutout to Jim @HiFiHawaii808 for picking this icon on the name badge, that made this possible!

I want it. I just ordered a CIEM which will have this exact logo. For those of you who don't know. This is the logo on the watercooler tags.

Last edited:
May 6, 2024 at 10:29 AM Post #88,463 of 90,067
And gotta pay tribute to the guy who left us few days ago:

"Golden girl"though was my favorite track and always throws me back to the festival in my city 2004:

RIP CONRAD. I was very fortunate to work with him. Not with making music, but hosting him & Bukem in Bangkok. He was a gent... and an insane vocal talent. Absolutely peerless. It really is sad that a track as beautiful as Golden Girl isn't way bigger amongst real music fans & not just people into this genre.

May 6, 2024 at 10:33 AM Post #88,464 of 90,067
Oh the Cooler is talking DnB/jungle?! Here are some of my recent favorites… yall got the classics covered.

Sully

Metrodome

Tim Reaper

Sleepnet (ex-noisia)

Otik

ET Finger

May 6, 2024 at 10:40 AM Post #88,466 of 90,067
After reading through several reviews, I've decided to pull the trigger on the Ambient Acoustics MAD24. Lately I've been pursuing IEMs that provide me a unique and different experience from the usual TOTL configurations. This was triggered by my latest acquisition - the CA Trifecta. It's refreshing when you experience a new way of listening to your favorite tunes or gear after such long time in the hobby...

The fact that called my attention to the MAD24 and made me share in this thread is that all the reviews I read about it are relatively old (dating from 2020/21) and I was surprised to know that there are a few updates on tunning and packaging made by Ambient Acoustics lately.

The major update seems to be the size of the shells: apparently they addressed the complaints about fitting and reduced the size of the UIEM and the sound bore size as well, making it more comfortable to wear. Also they informed me that they made adjustments in the tunning, to have a more linear FR. Unfortunately I didn't try the MAD24 before to compare but those seems to be significant improvements to the product, in case someone is still curious about it.

I was also happy to get a unique faceplate they made for an exhibition to show a new opal color. The leather case seems to be new as well. Below is the pic of my incoming new toy:

WhatsApp Image 2024-05-06 at 12.30.05.jpeg

I should be receiving the IEM later in the week and will share some impressions soon :)
I think you'd be the second person I've seen to own these IEMs on this thread. Looking forward to hear more about them! 🙂

May 6, 2024 at 10:42 AM Post #88,467 of 90,067
May 6, 2024 at 11:03 AM Post #88,468 of 90,067
Hey guys, I've just published my review of the unexpectedly brilliant Questyle CMA18 Portable.
If you're interested in reading up on what I consider one of the frontrunners for portable product of the year, you'll find the full review here. Enjoy!

cover1.jpg

May 6, 2024 at 11:34 AM Post #88,469 of 90,067
I primarily listen to dnb and I found the star for it - Grand Maestro. For my taste perfect sub to mid bass slope on the blue module and sometimes I like to push it more with black module. I expected the Maestro SE to be good for electronics but I think it is too V shaped for my taste.

I’d love to try Grand Maestro at some point - the fit issues that some have experienced puts me off though! I must keep in mind for a meet-up or if I ever get to a CanJam.

May 6, 2024 at 11:37 AM Post #88,470 of 90,067
Oh the Cooler is talking DnB/jungle?! Here are some of my recent favorites… yall got the classics covered.

Sully

Metrodome

Tim Reaper

Sleepnet (ex-noisia)

Otik

ET Finger

We should start dnb and sub genres thread, lots of good stuff :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back