The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 2, 2024 at 1:02 PM Post #88,186 of 89,824
So true, I know several people who listen at low volumes, and when I try listen at those volumes I just don't get it. Even accounting for my mild hearing loss, the volume some people listen at is basically a whisper to me. If I wanted to listen to people whispering with faint instrument sounds in the background, I wouldn't do so with any of the expensive gear I currently use and review 😅

#lowvolumegang here, if I can’t enjoy or connect to something at low to moderate volumes then it’s likely not something I am interested in. I do crank it up every now and then though for some fun 🤪

Going to CanJam and seeing people use chains I was familiar with and looking at their volume levels was quite eye opening for me. I know with the show floor noise you have to listen louder than normal but some of the stuff I saw was straight up frightening 😂

I’m also a lower volume listener. I’m always surprised when I see the volume knobs left by other listeners at CanJams, or visitors at my place, of all ages. I’m in my mid 50s and, by nothing more than luck and good fortune, haven’t spent my earlier years listening to loud music. I was one of the odd teenagers who loved jazz and classical (though also listened to pop and rock at the time too but less so), so I just happen to have acquired habits that lent naturally to quieter listening. That let me keep my hearing ahead of my age bracket, to which I’m grateful.

Most people have gone to fun loud concerts (good for them!) have listened to music the shines at louder volumes (or perhaps been exposed to noise at their work place). Any combination of personal preference, genes, and environmental factors come into play here. Bottom line is.. whatever volume one needs to listen to and have fun, that’s the right volume!

But, the PSA is for anyone here who may be in their teens or twenties: I encourage you to be mindful as your current acquired habits will inform your future volume levels..

May 2, 2024 at 1:30 PM Post #88,187 of 89,824
@Rockwell75

I watched Kung Fu Hustle again in honor of your profile picture. Wife was away at a girls movie night, so perfect time! Movie is legit funnier than I even remember from my last viewing maybe 4-5 years ago. Such a freakin’ fun movie! Can’t believe the movie is now 20 years old.

Now this makes me want to watch Shaolin Soccer again, too.

It's a classic for sure...and while I usually prefer to watch movies in their original language the dubbing in this one just works for me for some reason.

This is low key one of my favorite scenes in any movie ever. Everything about it is perfect, right down to the music:

May 2, 2024 at 1:53 PM Post #88,188 of 89,824
It's a classic for sure...and while I usually prefer to watch movies in their original language the dubbing in this one just works for me for some reason.

This is low key one of my favorite scenes in any movie ever. Everything about it is perfect, right down to the music:

Hahahaha I loved that scene when I watched it last night. When they just showed up in the car and the mob were just slack-jawed, I legit giggled! The whole fight leading up to that, too, was awesome. Landlady and her husband were so good. I also laughed so hard at the scene with the tailor/iron fist crying and being called a fairy with his underwear by the landlady.

May 2, 2024 at 2:14 PM Post #88,189 of 89,824
Oh, the price of the phone itself is no factor. But given that there's no way I'd ever use this as my main phone, and would end up getting a separate unlimited data plan to use it effectively, the true cost of use is much higher than the phone's purchase price.

I am using it right now with a Boos Infite Plan that comes with Amazon Prime for $25. Working great. Tested calls (direct and via Wifi) phone working as a charm. Getting Volt LTE , downloaded Spotify playlists rather smoothly. So the experience as a phone is 👍

May 2, 2024 at 2:19 PM Post #88,190 of 89,824
Hahahaha I loved that scene when I watched it last night. When they just showed up in the car and the mob were just slack-jawed, I legit giggled! The whole fight leading up to that, too, was awesome. Landlady and her husband were so good. I also laughed so hard at the scene with the tailor/iron fist crying and being called a fairy with his underwear by the landlady.

May 2, 2024 at 2:22 PM Post #88,191 of 89,824
May 2, 2024 at 2:35 PM Post #88,192 of 89,824
Quick Update, for those thinking on buying:

This is an Android phone for mainland China as such:

A) You cannot use Google Playstore, you have to install Aurora Store or Amazon App Store.

B) Uninstall bloatware , typical for Chinese ROMs

C) Replace UC Browser, with something else like Vivaldi , Firefox or another browser that is allowed in China

D) Once that is done you can install all your preferred apps

E) In order to use Gmail install a different email app like Outlook and use that for your Gmail account

F) Hiby Music is preinstalled and you will find all settings to manage music files,etc.

G) The android settings are all very standard and nothing specific for music output.

Will test tomorrow as a phone first to check bands,etc. After that will check music .

Don't have a way to measure output on 4.4 as I don't have the tools for that.

Device is pretty light and it feels like a modified One Plus or something like that.
Just another Update

Under settings Apps-You can activate Google Services Framework. Once that is done you can use G Apps.

a) Got the phone set up using a simple $25 plan (leveraging Boost Amazon). Obtaining LTE speeds and calls working great.

b) Have installed all my music apps and have downloaded music. Keeping the device clean of email apps, etc. As I want to keep this media centric, no distractions with notifications, etc.

c) The device was programmed to take any SD media as requiring a re-format prior to taking it. This is something that I have experienced with China based ROM's when a phone is involved. Once you re format , everything works fine.

d) Hiby music app works fine and does everything expected.

e) Using the device as a music player and as a phone. Have downloaded using the phone side only a bunch of playlists and everything worked well. Wanted to test if phone overheated vs using wifi. Everything good

f) The device volume (+/-) has a lot of steps , so works great to achieve very specific increases. This was compared against a Pxel Fold, Samsung S24 Ultra and One Plus Open. So it seems that they modified the hardware at that level to behave as a DAP.

g) Output (4.4) has a lot room for volume increase, using Trifecta , Volour , CustomArt 7U vs some dongles. I do not need to go over 30% volume. At 40-50% it was very high.

h) No noise or interference found, while moving between apps, etc.

Device weight, screen, having phone connection and 3.5+ 4.4 outputs.

Had a bit of bias , as I had to deal with Moondrop DSP cable app and its clunkiness, but it seems they applied some good focus on this device, I think its a great effort by Moondrop.

PXL_20240502_183245000.jpg

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 2:49 PM Post #88,193 of 89,824
Blast from the past: How awesome was Queen?

They're when you're Green Day doing a show in Hyde Park and your audience is having a great time performing Queen without you awesome!

Screen Shot 2024-05-02 at 11.55.14 AM.png

🤣

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 3:19 PM Post #88,195 of 89,824
So much this! :smile:

Ugh, I can't unsee that!! 😭

Here's a fun one. I think that non-Chinese speakers tend to look at Chinese transcriptions at phonetic face value, because of course they would without knowing what those words are. But given that English has no intonation marks, looking at these transcriptions are often somewhat cryptic for Chinese speakers as well. For example, looking Fei Wan, but not given any pronunciation hints, here are some possibilities (in Mandarin):

Fei​
Wan​
Fly
Fat
Useless
(or unnecessary)
Lung​
Bend
Play
Bowl
Late -or- Tardy
10,000​
all combine FAT FLY BOWL USELESS

May 2, 2024 at 3:24 PM Post #88,196 of 89,824
Oh it's not a hard to drive IEM, i used gain 3 on my 320 max and 9 o'clock on the volume wheel. it's not big. @SkyWarrior had pretty small ears, but he had a perfect fit with the Alter Ego iirc

They are not big, pretty medium sized if i say so myself, if you can fit an Annihilator 23 in your ears, they should be perfectly fine. Here's a pic that @yaps66 took.

1712681024079.jpg
How do they sound????

May 2, 2024 at 3:39 PM Post #88,197 of 89,824
That film was my introduction to Gosling, Isaac and Winding Refn; one of my absolute favourites of the 2010’s.

They make some pretty darn’ good IEMs, though.

Shipping soon… 😉
Congrats! Yes they are. It’s My one and only iem for now, Curious what daps or dac/amp combo you going to pair with?

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 4:27 PM Post #88,198 of 89,824
That film was my introduction to Gosling, Isaac and Winding Refn; one of my absolute favourites of the 2010’s.

They make some pretty darn’ good IEMs, though.

Shipping soon… 😉

Makes me feel lost at sea!

May 2, 2024 at 4:33 PM Post #88,199 of 89,824
Just another Update

a) Got the phone set up using a simple $25 plan (leveraging Amazon). Obtaining LTE speeds and calls working great.

b) Have installed all my music apps and have downloaded music. Keeping the device clean of email apps, etc. As I want to keep this media centric, no distractions with notifications, etc.

c) The device was programmed to take any SD media as requiring a re-format prior to taking it. This is something that I have experienced with China based ROM's when a phone is involved. Once you re format , everything works fine.

d) Hiby music app works fine and does everything expected.

e) Using the device as a music player and as a phone. Have downloaded using the phone side only a bunch of playlists and everything worked well. Wanted to test if phone overheated vs using wifi. Everything good

f) The device volume (+/-) has a lot of steps , so works great to achieve very specific increases. This was compared against a Pxel Fold, Samsung S24 Ultra and One Plus Open. So it seems that they modified the hardware at that level to behave as a DAP.

g) Output (4.4) has a lot room for volume increase, using Trifecta , Volour , CustomArt 7U vs some dongles. I do not need to go over 30% volume. At 40-50% it was very high.

h) No noise or interference found, while moving between apps, etc.

Device weight, screen, having phone connection and 3.5+ 4.4 outputs.

Had a bit of bias , as I had to deal with Moondrop DSP cable app and its clunkiness, but it seems they applied some good focus on this device, I think its a great effort by Moondrop.

PXL_20240502_183245000.jpg
How is the EQ with the phone? Any weird issues with streaming?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back