The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 21, 2024 at 11:01 AM Post #87,196 of 88,932
that's like asking married people "whose wife is the best in the world?" :smirk:

Lol...true that.

It's also like asking "what's the best kind of food in the world" or "what's the best kind of vehicle in the world"...there are plenty of valid options but the final answer will always depend on the individual and their own tastes and intentions.

Apr 21, 2024 at 11:05 AM Post #87,197 of 88,932
Hmmm... did I already mention that I like blue? :wink:

20240421_122223.jpg

A nice 'detail' (yep, sarcastic mode on) is that this combination also sounds fantastic (sarcastic mode off) to my ears :)

Apr 21, 2024 at 11:17 AM Post #87,198 of 88,932
Hello Coolers!

After SG Canjam, I managed to retire some gear, including my P6Pro Ti, to search for new additions. After demoing @timeslip ’s DMP Z1, I am so fortunate to have gotten a great deal for myself!

I’m amazed that Sony managed to build this bad boy a few years back. It is still well-positioned among the top in the current DAP market. Great resolution, a well-controlled amp capable of powering up power-hungry IEMs, and the unique Sony warm-ish sound signature still make it the ideal driver for quite a few IEMs.

IMG_5484_jpg.jpeg

I tried quite a few of my IEMs with the DMP Z1, and I just like all the combinations. Among those, I like the pairing with Creator (with Silver Cable), Viking OG, and Mason FS ST the most. The soundstage expansion and fullness just have the edge versus the N30LE AP; with the AP, I still prefer the combo pairing to deliver the well-balanced warmish sound signature.

I'm going to spend more time playing around with the cool features and demo a linear power supply to see if there are any further enhancements that can be made. But for now, this is really a one-and-done machine, if portability is not an issue. ☺️☺️

Apr 21, 2024 at 11:43 AM Post #87,200 of 88,932
And what cable from them do you recommend?
Looking for a cable upgrade to the Canpur cp622b
I haven't tried with a 622b. There are general improvements across the board as you move up the price tiers. I stick to the LE options as I need good portability as well.

I don't find big differences in sound 'signatures', but here's a helpful chart from them anyways:

https://briseaudio.com/en/pages/earphone-spec

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 12:27 PM Post #87,201 of 88,932
On Friday I received the AME tour kit from @MusicTeck. First off mad props for their packaging-- it is super efficient for a tour kit and I will be able to send it out (after I've spent some time with the IEMs) with minimal fussing to mimize the size of the package. I've been spending some time with the Raven so far and it's an incredibly versatile and fun yet technically accomplished IEM that is hard to fault and should be able to please alot of people along many different metrics. Bass is solid, present and very well extended. Mids are sufficiently forward and clear without being too much. Vocal and instrument timbre is spot on. I think I prefer this to the incarnation of the EE Raven I heard in NYC, which was a touch shouty in the upper mids (for me)...this AME Raven has no such issue (again, for me). All in all it's a great all rounder. Early days though (it's ownly been two).

EF0DA3EB-34E5-4936-9F50-E4208920AEEC.JPEG

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 12:45 PM Post #87,202 of 88,932
On Friday I received the AME tour kit from @MusicTeck. First off mad props for their packaging-- it is super efficient for a tour kit and I will be able to send it out (after I've spent some time with the IEMs) with minimal fussing to mimize the size of the package. I've been spending some time with the Raven so far and it's an incredibly versatile and fun yet technically accomplished IEM that is hard to fault and should be able to please alot of people along many different metrics. Bass is solid, present and very well extended. Mids are sufficiently forward and clear without being too much. Vocal and instrument timbre is spot on. I think I prefer this to the incarnation of the EE Raven I heard in NYC, which was a touch shouty in the upper mids (for me)...this AME Raven has no such issue (again, for me). All in all it's a great all rounder. Early days though (it's ownly been two).

EF0DA3EB-34E5-4936-9F50-E4208920AEEC.JPEG

AME Raven treble 🤌🏽

Apr 21, 2024 at 12:50 PM Post #87,203 of 88,932
AME Raven treble 🤌🏽

Indeed. I'm more of a bass and mids guy in general so that's where my mind and attention always go first.

Apr 21, 2024 at 1:02 PM Post #87,204 of 88,932
Apr 21, 2024 at 1:13 PM Post #87,205 of 88,932

The most interesting part was that he briefly talks about DD vs BA and that modern measuring systems can actually show the differences in sound between the two. I look forward to that video. Also how the individual length node of each persons' ear affect the subjective impression of treble in an IEM is very useful knowledge imo.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 1:29 PM Post #87,206 of 88,932
The most interesting part was that he briefly talks about DD vs BA and that modern measuring systems can actually show the differences in sound between the two.

Given how over-confident these guys tend to be with respect to measurements and what is contained in FR curves I would be very surprised if this were actually true for someone who wasn't pre-committed to some sort of audio nihilism, measurement extremism or some other requisite ideology. On a related note the DD vs. BA thing is another of those topics that will forever vex this hobby. Every so often, for time eternal it seems, someone will claim that such and such BA set has finally bridged the gap and become indistinguishable from a DD (to the ear, not the measurement rig)...and this claim has not yet once been true, not even with STORM (which does have great bass...bit is unmisakably BA bass).

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 1:34 PM Post #87,207 of 88,932

Love to see some AME Raven chatter! I’ve said a while back that I think it’s the better of the two Ravens. It’s good to see you share that sentiment.

The treble is special as aaf mentioned. One of the top in the market.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 2:20 PM Post #87,208 of 88,932
Given how over-confident these guys tend to be with respect to measurements and what is contained in FR curves I would be very surprised if this were actually true for someone who wasn't pre-committed to some sort of audio nihilism, measurement extremism or some other requisite ideology. On a related note the DD vs. BA thing is another of those topics that will forever vex this hobby. Every so often, for time eternal it seems, someone will claim that such and such BA set has finally bridged the gap and become indistinguishable from a DD (to the ear, not the measurement rig)...and this claim has not yet once been true, not even with STORM (which does have great bass...bit is unmisakably BA bass).
But is it really the case with this particular reviewer? Never seen him guilty of messurement extremism. An somewhat educated take on BA vs Dynamic is very welcome imho. Especially since I never considered dynamic driver in any way superior.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 2:26 PM Post #87,209 of 88,932
I respect that opinion and I don't know if they can measure it or not. It is still helping me to broaden my horizon to watch those videos. The Truth™ lies somewhere in the middle.
I think that because you made up your mind about these guys, you might come to some prejudices that especially this guy does adress in his videos and takes special care to mention over and again, so people can make up their own mind. It is everybodies' right to form an opinion, especially in this hobby. That's why I just want to make you aware of how your viewpoint might not be completely informed in this case, even though your conclusion might come to the same equation after watching.

Apr 21, 2024 at 2:33 PM Post #87,210 of 88,932
The most interesting part was that he briefly talks about DD vs BA and that modern measuring systems can actually show the differences in sound between the two. I look forward to that video. Also how the individual length node of each persons' ear affect the subjective impression of treble in an IEM is very useful knowledge imo.

Trust me, the most interesting and exciting part of that video is in the comments section, everybody is saying stuff about STORM... I'm baffled but at the same time am not surprised as it is Youtube after all... I mean, I don't go to a Bugatti showroom saying that if I tune up my Corolla the driving experience would just be as good... or that the Veyron is expensive and not worth the price and it's all just a BS... Also research and development doesn't mean anything...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back