The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 5, 2024 at 10:17 PM Post #85,561 of 91,375
Oh and also, Scott Morgan aka Loscil was once a member of Destroyer - his solo career as a prolific producer of ambient music, every album a gem all the way back to his first in 2001. His sound has evolved a lot over the years but always excellent.

Love Loscil. This track and album was recorded on Vancouver Island where I live and was inspired by local soundscapes. The title of the album "First Narrows" is a bridge going into Vancouver.

Apr 5, 2024 at 10:18 PM Post #85,562 of 91,375
Looking at the new flagship IEM cable gauge, we might as well just use speaker cables.

4W cables a la Eletech are the perfect gauge for me. I don't like the feeling of draping a python around my neck.

Apr 5, 2024 at 10:22 PM Post #85,563 of 91,375
Since it is a bit quiet here tonight I will share one I just finished yesterday. “Barnyard Madonna”
20240404_155146.jpg

Apr 5, 2024 at 10:23 PM Post #85,564 of 91,375
How is everyone feeling about Noble Onyx? Missed CanJam NYC so I haven't been able to try it yet.

Apr 5, 2024 at 10:27 PM Post #85,565 of 91,375
It's been a very "low key" past month for me post-CanJam NYC, which I have no complaints about. I am really looking forward to reading about all the CanJam excitement over the next two days!

There are far worse ways to spend my Friday night!

IMG_9698.JPG
Lotoo Mjolnir + Night Jar Sovereign Symphony + Subtonic Storm = Missing in action on HeadFi. Looking forward to hearing your impressions about this chain. Plus separate impressions on Sovereign Symphony.

Apr 5, 2024 at 10:29 PM Post #85,566 of 91,375
Lotoo Mjolnir + Night Jar Sovereign Symphony + Subtonic Storm = Missing in action on HeadFi. Looking forward to hearing your impressions about this chain. Plus separate impressions on Sovereign Symphony.

This is currently the Mira 4W, I won't have the Sovereign Symphony for a few weeks I believe. But I will definitely share my thoughts!

Apr 5, 2024 at 10:29 PM Post #85,567 of 91,375
I've had similar peak issues with every planar IEM I've heard. Not sure if it's intrinsic to the tech or not. Raptgo hook x is my go-to fun budget planar, but imagine it's fairly outdated by now.

Maybe it is common with this type of driver, who knows... I can only judge based on a sample of two PM IEMs I have, CFA Supermoon and MP145. Both exhibit 8kHz peak:

hidizs-mp145-s9pp-46.jpg

And in this case, tip rolling can either make it or break it. Symbio W hybrid foam/silicone eartips attenuated the MP145 8kHz peak without reducing the resolution, a total perfection to my ears.

hidizs-mp145-s9pp-30.jpg

With CFA Supermoon, I had to use their own included marshmallow foam eartips which made a world of difference to my ears, as well as in my measurements. However, got to keep in mind a difference in IEM insertion depth inside the coupler when measuring with silicone vs foam:

cfa-supermoon-19.jpg

Apr 5, 2024 at 10:39 PM Post #85,568 of 91,375

Finally going to see this guy tomorrow night. Really looking forward to it. Pretty ridiculous video.

Destroyer is brillant. Enjoy.

Apr 5, 2024 at 10:47 PM Post #85,569 of 91,375
Aroma Jewel, universally hated stock cable, almost anything is an upgrade.
So you think you know the more correct sound than the actual IEM maker? Maybe you like a different sound but that guy said it's the correct sound the brands don't ship with.

Either aroma doesn't know what they're doing or they have a different business model.

Wouldn't you say it makes sense that if someone is selling a $5,000 IEM they would try to put their best foot forward with what you receive in the box in regards to the actual sound? Or at the very least their correct sound?

Or maybe aroma just made a mistake. Because that would make more sense than saying a huge number of IEMs are shipped with an incorrect cable to get the intended sound.

Apr 5, 2024 at 10:51 PM Post #85,570 of 91,375
Maybe it is common with this type of driver, who knows... I can only judge based on a sample of two PM IEMs I have, CFA Supermoon and MP145. Both exhibit 8kHz peak:

And in this case, tip rolling can either make it or break it. Symbio W hybrid foam/silicone eartips attenuated the MP145 8kHz peak without reducing the resolution, a total perfection to my ears.

With CFA Supermoon, I had to use their own included marshmallow foam eartips which made a world of difference to my ears, as well as in my measurements. However, got to keep in mind a difference in IEM insertion depth inside the coupler when measuring with silicone vs foam:

Do the traditional 7/11 style
couplers not have an 8khz peak due to canal length and are considered unreliable from 8khz and up? That's what I read about them at least and that's why this new high end measuring is becoming the new standard.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2024 at 10:56 PM Post #85,571 of 91,375
So you think you know the more correct sound than the actual IEM maker? Maybe you like a different sound but that guy said it's the correct sound the brands don't ship with.

Either aroma doesn't know what they're doing or they have a different business model.

Wouldn't you say it makes sense that if someone is selling a $5,000 IEM they would try to put their best foot forward with what you receive in the box in regards to the actual sound? Or at the very least their correct sound?

Or maybe aroma just made a mistake. Because that would make more sense than saying a huge number of IEMs are shipped with an incorrect cable to get the intended sound.

Never said I know more than Aroma Audio. They clearly messed up, thats what I was saying. Big blunder.

Apr 5, 2024 at 11:25 PM Post #85,572 of 91,375
Do the traditional 7/11 style
couplers not have an 8khz peak due to canal length and are considered unreliable from 8khz and up? That's what I read about them at least and that's why this new high end measuring is becoming the new standard.

You are probably referring to Crin's article about measurements :wink: Again, I can only speak from a personal experience of using my IEC-60318-4 compatible measurement setup and a few hundred measurements I collected where only some IEMs exhibit an 8kHz peak which I can hear and confirm by doing a sine-sweep.

I'm a strong believer in trusting your ears, not your eyes when listening and analyzing the sound. But I also like to take measurements afterward, to sync up and confirm what I'm hearing. I can't tell just by listening there is an exact "8kHz" peak. But I can tell there is a peak somewhere in mid-treble that irritates my ears :D The measurement and sine-sweep confirm the exact frequency that bothers me. Of course, not everybody hears the same, just like not everybody has the same ear sensitivity or even the ability to hear high frequencies the same. But to my ears, using either foam or hybrid foam/silicone eartips did help significantly with the planar IEMs I tested.

Apr 5, 2024 at 11:34 PM Post #85,573 of 91,375
A cable is a fundamental part of the sound that the manufacturer can control. Where is the logic that they are sending out their expensive product with a cable that doesn't do the "correct" sound?

Please tell me the logic you are using to say why these manufacturers would sell these products without a cable that produces what they consider the correct sound.
You're assuming that I believe that different cables sound different. I don't. For me cables need to look and feel good (and function). In my experience, very few IEM manufacturers include cables that look or feel good (but at least they all work). I don't replace cables to "correct" the sound. I replace cables to correct the cheap look and feel of pack-in cables.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2024 at 11:35 PM Post #85,574 of 91,375
deleted

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2024 at 11:36 PM Post #85,575 of 91,375
I'm obviously not going to disclose who, but there are many lead engineers at many manufacturers that simply don't believe cables can change the sound. As a result, they spec cables to cost or appearance (or other factors) that have nothing to do with any kind of intended sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back