The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 5, 2024 at 8:08 PM Post #85,547 of 89,744
Yup, IMO the biggest common misconception about cables isn’t that you are pairing a cable to make the IEM sound better… you are finding a cable that accurately portrays how the IEM sounds. Sometimes it comes with the perfect partner cable, but most times it doesn’t.
You feel that the majority of IEM's, including the high end ones we talk about here - the manufacturers ship their own IEM's with a cable that doesn't accurately portray how their OWN IEM sounds?

That's a pretty bold statement. And why would we buy any products from all these brands if they didn't even know how to ship their own products with the correct cable?

Apr 5, 2024 at 8:33 PM Post #85,548 of 89,744
You feel that the majority of IEM's, including the high end ones we talk about here - the manufacturers ship their own IEM's with a cable that doesn't accurately portray how their OWN IEM sounds?

That's a pretty bold statement. And why would we buy any products from all these brands if they didn't even know how to ship their own products with the correct cable?

it’s my opinion that the accessories are largely an after thought for a lot of companies. Every company? No. Most was maybe a strong word but hey if I’m so wrong, why are we changing cables at all? 🤷

Apr 5, 2024 at 8:39 PM Post #85,549 of 89,744
it’s my opinion that the accessories are largely an after thought for a lot of companies. Every company? No. Most was maybe a strong word but hey if I’m so wrong, why are we changing cables at all? 🤷
Because we are well-trained consumers taught to never really be happy with what we have for the most part.

Apr 5, 2024 at 8:45 PM Post #85,550 of 89,744
Because we are well-trained consumers taught to never really be happy with what we have for the most part.
Ok

Anyway, headed to the woods to unplug and get some r&r. Going to try to push away thoughts of looking at CanJam posts by enjoying the sets I have next to a fire with a drink.

Have a lovely weekend Cooler!

Apr 5, 2024 at 8:55 PM Post #85,551 of 89,744
Tbh, I’m not convinced that company with pro audio background like 64 audio even believes that cable can make difference, especially since they have the LID circuit. But if we say so, then they can sell some upgrade cables for some extra revenues 😂

That said, U12t is the most transparent IEM I have tried when it comes to cable comparison. Last month I swapped to a cheapo 16 wire cable from NiceHck since that cable feels very soft and light. The sound was so muffled, and detail retrieval was so bad that I had to check whether I accidentally plug into line out or something. The Dr Juggles cable from @Damz87 made day and night difference. The python of a cable made by @Bosk also introduced a noticeable change to the presentation of the stage.

I still think that the stock “premium cable” of 64 audio is quite good for their IEM. Now, if only I can find a 4.4 version.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2024 at 9:00 PM Post #85,552 of 89,744
It's been a very "low key" past month for me post-CanJam NYC, which I have no complaints about. I am really looking forward to reading about all the CanJam excitement over the next two days!

There are far worse ways to spend my Friday night!

IMG_9698.JPG

Apr 5, 2024 at 9:06 PM Post #85,553 of 89,744
Ok

Anyway, headed to the woods to unplug and get some r&r. Going to try to push away thoughts of looking at CanJam posts by enjoying the sets I have next to a fire with a drink.

Have a lovely weekend Cooler!
Let's say it's not most, as you first said, but say half of these brands don't know how to pair a cable to their own IEM. Why would you buy anything from a company that couldn't do that one basic thing?

I'm just trying to understand your point of view. Can you help explain it besides your statement that we buy these cables so this must be the case?

Apr 5, 2024 at 9:27 PM Post #85,554 of 89,744

Finally going to see this guy tomorrow night. Really looking forward to it. Pretty ridiculous video.

Apr 5, 2024 at 9:41 PM Post #85,555 of 89,744
Posting Guidelines said:
Avoid getting personal. Do not make personal attacks, even veiled or generalized ones, such as "all people who believe X are deluded," "all people who can't hear the difference must be deaf," "this will be fine for people without hearing problems," etc. If you disagree with someone's opinion, discuss the opinion, not the person.

A good tip is: When you start posting about the member ("You ...") instead of the product or discussion about it, then you're getting personal. A better idea by far is to add "I think" or "IMO" (In My Opinion) to what you write, because, after all, it is ONLY your opinion. Even thoughts about science topics are opinion.

Please DON'T reply if someone makes an off-topic, rude or otherwise inappropriate comment, or a post appears to be trolling or spam. Report it by clicking on the red flag and filling in the box explaining what the problem is and let the moderators take care of it (Please do not directly PM the moderators). If something is inappropriate or rude, what is the point of giving it more attention by replying to it and/or quoting it?!? If someone starts a fire, you wouldn't set other things on fire with it, so please don't go and do the equivalent here.

Apr 5, 2024 at 9:51 PM Post #85,556 of 89,744
In other areas of the audio hobby, it’s accepted practice to ship things like power cables and interconnects as a “convenience” so you can use a component right away. But the assumption is that the consumer will ultimately buy their own cables, etc. Same deal with many IEMs with respect to cables and tips.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2024 at 9:54 PM Post #85,557 of 89,744

Finally going to see this guy tomorrow night. Really looking forward to it. Pretty ridiculous video.

Fantastic band, I saw them in Dublin several years ago when they released Kaputt - amazing gig.

Apr 5, 2024 at 10:06 PM Post #85,558 of 89,744
In other areas of the audio hobby, it’s accepted practice to ship things like power cables and interconnects as a “convenience” so you can use a component right away. But the assumption is that the consumer will ultimately buy their own cables, etc. Same deal with many IEMs with respect to cables and tips.
A cable is a fundamental part of the sound that the manufacturer can control. Where is the logic that they are sending out their expensive product with a cable that doesn't do the "correct" sound?

Please tell me the logic you are using to say why these manufacturers would sell these products without a cable that produces what they consider the correct sound.

Apr 5, 2024 at 10:06 PM Post #85,559 of 89,744
Oh and also, Scott Morgan aka Loscil was once a member of Destroyer - his solo career as a prolific producer of ambient music, every album a gem all the way back to his first in 2001. His sound has evolved a lot over the years but always excellent.

Apr 5, 2024 at 10:16 PM Post #85,560 of 89,744
A cable is a fundamental part of the sound that the manufacturer can control. Where is the logic that they are sending out their expensive product with a cable that doesn't do the "correct" sound?

Please tell me the logic you are using to say why these manufacturers would sell these products without a cable that produces what they consider the correct sound.

Aroma Jewel, universally hated stock cable, almost anything is an upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back