The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 17, 2024 at 12:18 AM Post #83,941 of 87,776
CanJam NYC 2024 has been epic!!!
Day 1: Audio46 visit and EyalJam on Friday. Italian Dinner for closing the day.
Day 2+3: CanJam actual (Sat + Sun). Steak dinner on Sat. and Greek dinner on Sun.
Day 4: HangarJam at Todd's place (Mon.) and heading home in the evening.
My friends made this weekend perfect and memorable: @goldwerger @RTodd @emdeevee @Rockwell75 @buke9 @HiFiHawaii808 @NovaFlyer @bigbeans @bigquery @Frankie D to name a few. What an amazing group of individuals. I am fortunate to know you all, and grateful to call you my friends :pray: (apologies if I missed anyone, and I am sure I have...)

Thinking back on those magical days in NYC (and PA for HangarJam), by far the people (mentioned above) made this weekend so special.
Having said that, I want to list (in random order) some of the audio gear highlights for me personally:
  • Headphone highlights:
    • Audio Technica AWKG. Ironically, I heard those driven by the $108,000 Audio-Technica amp (wow) and A&K SP2000 DAP. Both setups were magical.
    • Raal 2-ribbon headphones (forget the name). As others aptly described the sound: felt like in-between eStat and Planar.
    • ZMF Caldera Closed.
  • IEMs highlights:
    • Favorite high-end prototype: NightJar Duality
    • Favorite entry-level prototype: Elysian Pilgrim
    • Favorite high-end IEMs: EE Raven and Noble Onyx
    • Favorite mid-priced all-rounder: CFA Bonneville
    • Runner-up mid-priced all-rounder: CFA Fathom
    • Honorable mentions: FIBAE 5 and Fir e10
  • DAP highlights:
    • Favorite high-end DAP: A&K SP3000T
    • Favorite entry-level DAP: Cayin N3Ultra
I would like to thank @jude @AxelCloris @joe @third_eye @HF_Ryan and @warrenpchi for organizing yet another spectacular CanJam for the benefit and enjoyment of us all :pray:
See you all at CanJam SoCal.
Was such a busy weekend I'm glad I got to at least say hi! Happy to see your honorable mentions too :p

Mar 17, 2024 at 1:07 AM Post #83,942 of 87,776
Feeling nostalgic after attending a Disney themed concert at Vancouver Symphony Orchestra

IMG_2525.jpeg

The highlight was the Lion King sections
IMG_2536.jpeg

Mar 17, 2024 at 2:32 AM Post #83,943 of 87,776
Day 2+3: CanJam actual (Sat + Sun). Steak dinner on Sat. and Greek dinner on Sun.
My friends made this weekend perfect and memorable: @goldwerger @RTodd @emdeevee @Rockwell75 @buke9 @HiFiHawaii808 @NovaFlyer @bigbeans @bigquery @Frankie D to name a few. What an amazing group of individuals. I am fortunate to know you all, and grateful to call you my friends :pray: (apologies if I missed anyone, and I am sure I have...)

Thinking back on those magical days in NYC (and PA for HangarJam), by far the people (mentioned above) made this weekend so special.
Having said that, I want to list (in random order) some of the audio gear highlights for me personally:
  • Headphone highlights:
    • Audio Technica AWKG. Ironically, I heard those driven by the $108,000 Audio-Technica amp (wow) and A&K SP2000 DAP. Both setups were magical.
    • Raal 2-ribbon headphones (forget the name). As others aptly described the sound: felt like in-between eStat and Planar.
    • ZMF Caldera Closed.
  • IEMs highlights:
  • DAP highlights:
I would like to thank @jude @AxelCloris @joe @third_eye @HF_Ryan and @warrenpchi for organizing yet another spectacular CanJam for the benefit and enjoyment of us all :pray:
I see that the SP3000T features a “hybrid” output in addition to the tube output. Is the other output pure class A and how much output power does it put out?

Mar 17, 2024 at 5:28 AM Post #83,946 of 87,776
BREAKING:

Watercooler Europe Meetup Logo NL Transparent.png

You know you're in for an amazing Sunday when one of your Watercooler family members reaches out to you offering to send in his gear for a meetup he won't even participate in! Big shout out to @Beh0lder for his camaraderie as we never had a private conversation so he must only be doing this out of love for this awesome little community. The thought alone sent a chill down my spine 🥰🥰🥰

Of a much much lesser magnitude is the fact that we're exactly 25 now and actually have all of his top gear covered - and then some! We'll be having a great line-up where basically only the latest top UM models are missing plus super recent additions. We do have a European premiere to make up for that and I'm working on adding another. With time ticking away that's going to be a close finish so unfortunately I can't promise anything just yet.

With @nikbr not being able to join we had to contract another famous singer @julioiglesias 😁 which will be highly appreciated by minimal electronic music lovers because of his collaborations with Marc Houle from yesteryear.

With only 6 more days to go I still don't see how we can possibly find the time to demo any gear with our European group branch - so much else to talk about! I will send out the last few bits and pieces about practicalities this evening, and from there it's a long count down to be physically united with the family next Saturday (or even Friday for some). Can't wait!!!

drftr

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2024 at 7:51 AM Post #83,947 of 87,776
BREAKING:

You know you're in for an amazing Sunday when one of your Watercooler family members reaches out to you offering to send in his gear for a meetup he won't even participate in! Big shout out to @Beh0lder for his camaraderie as we never had a private conversation so he must only be doing this out of love for this awesome little community. The thought alone sent a chill down my spine 🥰🥰🥰
I am happy that my DM made your day :) I'm just trying to repay my debt for all the tours @mvvRAZ and others organized and I took part in. I also had the chance to demo the OG MEST for exchange with my OG Monarch with a local forum user. Wonderful experience :)

Mar 17, 2024 at 8:22 AM Post #83,949 of 87,776
BREAKING:

Of a much much lesser magnitude is the fact that we're exactly 25 now and actually have all of his top gear covered - and then some! We'll be having a great line-up where basically only the latest top UM models are missing plus super recent additions. We do have a European premiere to make up for that and I'm working on adding another. With time ticking away that's going to be a close finish so unfortunately I can't promise anything just yet.

With @nikbr not being able to join we had to contract another famous singer @julioiglesias 😁 which will be highly appreciated by minimal electronic music lovers because of his collaborations with Marc Houle from yesteryear.

With only 6 more days to go I still don't see how we can possibly find the time to demo any gear with our European group branch - so much else to talk about! I will send out the last few bits and pieces about practicalities this evening, and from there it's a long count down to be physically united with the family next Saturday (or even Friday for some). Can't wait!!!

drftr

Amazing generosity! Thank you.

Really looking forward to the event and meeting like minded folk who enjoy this hobby.

Mar 17, 2024 at 8:49 AM Post #83,950 of 87,776

• Headphone highlights:
    • ZMF Caldera Closed.
  • IEMs highlights:
  • DAP highlights:
Please kindly share a little bit about why the Noble Onyx is your favorite high end iem from canjam. EE Raven has been covered before, however, I am curious if the Onyx is worth it. A few concise impressions would mean a lot. Thank you for your opinion and time.

Mar 17, 2024 at 8:53 AM Post #83,951 of 87,776
Sorry for all the Watercooler guys in Amsterdam I won't have R8II anymore I sold it, needed a bit of cash...

Mar 17, 2024 at 8:53 AM Post #83,952 of 87,776
BREAKING:

drftr

This meet sounds like it's going to be epic. Can't wait to read and hear all about it.

In other news we're closing in on 6k pages :D

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2024 at 9:00 AM Post #83,953 of 87,776
Ode to the Past at Oswalds Mill Audio, CanJam NYC 2024

Since the pandemic, the quality of my social life took a dive. Many of my friends shifted careers, moved/work remote or simply don’t stay in touch as often. While many of us have work friends that we can grab a drink with, finding a true quality friend is a challenging endeavor. It can take months to build up such a connection and finding the right combination of personality, ethics and values. The past few years of active participation in the Watercooler have led to an apex of personal connection. Where family and friends intersect on a journey of music, artistic discovery, engineering curiosity and pursuit of our nirvana. I may have not just found one, but a whole group of such quality friends in The Watercooler.

I was lucky to be part of varied experiences during this trip to CanJam NYC. Attempting to write these experiences in a single post would be challenging, so I have opted for an anthology. A collection of short stories and experiences, which add up to greater than the sum of its parts.

Nearly 10 years ago, I saw a video from Bloomberg which showcased a speaker manufacturer Oswald Mills Audio, boasting of using Pennsylvania Ash and Pennsylvania Slate to build loudspeakers, featuring an enigmatic founder by the name of Jonathan Weiss. He spoke in flowery subjectives and superlatives, explaining the overlooked ‘peak of Hifi’ in the 1930’s with RCA horn designs. His philosophy is to brush aside the common tropes of modern hifi, that originated in the 1970s. Pickup any audiophile magazine today, they all read the same. Adorning the front pages of such publications, you’ll typically find speakers, requiring several hundred Watts to sound their best, weighing several hundred pounds, almost always featuring amps with Class A bias (re Class AB) design. Back when I saw Jonathan Weiss for the first time, I wasn’t sure if he was insane or pulling a giant con. It’s tough to decipher the line between silliness and genius. I have monitored his company carefully, observing if he can survive the game of longevity. A company with poor products in a fussy world of two channel hifi can only survive for so long. Over the past decade, he slowly and steadily built a strong reputation. Starting from his flagship Imperia speakers, down to the entry level DeVille speakers from OMA’s sister company Fleetwood Sound at 15k a pair. OMA’s products and by extension, Jonathan’s reputation is analogous to the Campfire Audio Trifecta. Some are infatuated, others are bewildered. Taking advantage of being in Times Square, a mere 30 min train ride to his showroom in Dumbo Brooklyn, I setup an appointment with little expectations. Nothing prepared me for the journey I was about to embark upon.

IMG_0569.jpeg

IMG_0545.jpeg

IMG_0551 3.jpeg

Walking into his shop, you are struck with Jonathan’s appreciation of yesteryear, an aesthetic emblematic of an ode to the past. Retro posters, walls of vinyl, the wafts of a lone incense burning at the entrance door. Looking around, I notice every OMA design makes use of wood and metal, and featuring wood joinery. This is unusual in the high end two channel space, which is typically dominated by artificial materials such as Wilson Audio’s V material, carbon fiber of Magico, or custom metal alloys married with carbon fiber which are signature of Rockport speakers. OMA’s signature materials are are combination wood, slate and metal. Immediately, Jonathan greeted my father and I, and much to our surprise a fellow CanJam attendee was present, a representative from Innuos, a company that makes digital music servers and streamers. We began chatting with Jonathan about the origins of his company, his philosophy, and how his approach adds value to the competitive landscape. As the conversation progressed, I took a tour around his shop, looking at some of his works from discontinued speakers like the Ironic, to masterpieces such as the Special K amp.

IMG_0543.jpeg

Soon after, Jonathan asked us what speakers we would like to experience, I quickly interjected “The big ones!”. I was referring to the Imperia. Jonathan began rifling through some vinyl in a crate on the ground, intent on creating a pure analog experience. Much to my delight, he found a Muddy Waters vinyl and put it on the K3 Turntable. Putting this experience into words is a challenge. The sound filled the room with absolute ease, and only on a 4 Watt tube amplifier. The vocal was utterly convincing, with a vibrancy and organic realism, this is distinct from ‘fidelity’ which I’ve heard before on other systems. The custom horns OMA sources in Italy reproduced the vocals as if I was sitting in the mouth of the singer, as opposed to hearing the recording, such intensity was new to me. With other summit fi flagship speaker systems I’ve tried (Sonus Faber, Wilson, Focal etc) the speaker will reproduce the recording very well, but I always want to turn up the volume. And if I did not sit in the perfect spot, the stereo imaging would be imbalanced. No matter where I sat in the OMA studio, the wall of sound didn’t suffer from the ‘vertex problem’. With the Imperium (or any OMA speaker I tried that day), the stereo image seemed to blend together close to the point source, instead of at the seat. I asked Jonathan about this, he cited OMA/Fleetwood Sound designs speakers with directivity that doesn’t restrict listening position in mind from the beginning of the design. The result is a system which isn’t fussy about where the listener sits in relation to the plane of the speaker. Bass thundered throughout the room as it spread throughout the space with the same effortless nature of the horns. What stood out to me throughout this experience was how this system rendered the energy of the voice and not just faithfully reproducing a recording. This system reminded me of Campfire Audio Trifecta, and if you want a taste of OMA you can take with you, the Trifecta is the closest one can experience it even if Trifecta lacks the magic horn sound.

IMG_0552.jpeg

IMG_0564.jpeg

As we got halfway through the vinyl record, Jonathan lifted the tone arm and asked for my thoughts. Well, of course I told him I loved it. He responded that it’s not surprising, given the entire chain was close to 1 million dollars. Despite OMA not releasing price lists, some online sleuthing reveals the cost of admission for the Imperia is well over US$300,000 and a similar price for the K3 Turntable alone. He knows this system is simply out of reach for all but a few of those who demo these speakers. The real talent he says, is to bring this magic down a magnitude in price, as this is where the skill lies. Ultimately, his firms success depends on expanding his customer base beyond the well heeled veterans of Wall Street or those with generational wealth. In this vain, we switched to a modest system, the Fleetwood Sound Deville’s. This chain had the fewest amount of components I’ve seen for such a system in its class. Not including the speakers, it was simply two components. The Technics SU-G700M2, an amplifier with "a DAC that isn’t a DAC" as Jonathan remarks, and an Innuos streamer. Most of our audition was on this Deville system alone, as it impressed us on every song we threw at it. From violin caprices to jazz ensembles and sultry vocalists like Yao Si Ting, the Deville speaker executed on delivering the signature OMA effortless house sound, lifelike energy, transforming recordings to something almost living. Granted, the shape of the voice, sound stage, wall of sound or voluminous bass was not even close to the flagship Imperia but this is to be expected when comparing an entry product to a flagship. Jonathan remarked you could use any streamer such as Bluesound Node as a source to keep costs down, with a full Deville system coming in just over US$18,000. Listening to this system was addicting and frequently I would get up and walk around the studio to see if imaging would break, however it did not. Recordings were cohesive, with the signature horns bringing life to the vocals and brass instruments especially. For my tastes, I would add a sub as I loved the dominating bass notes of the Imperia subwoofers.

IMG_0548.jpeg

IMG_0567.jpeg

As the clock struck 4PM, it was our time to leave as we needed to pack up and depart New York. Before we left, had a conversation about the medicinal effect of music, spirituality and reincarnation. Throughout my experience at Oswalds Mills Audio I came to realize that to be an artist requires a tad dose of insanity and stubborn vision. I am reminded of Ken Ball from Campfire Audio, and their flagship Trifecta, an IEM which continues to split much of the Headfi community. Regardless of how one feels about such creations, it mustn’t be forgotten, some of the worlds greatest inventions were created off the beaten paths of the familiar. Jonathan Weiss and Ken Ball seem to share a similar vision of defiance against the status quo, kindred spirits forging paths in different realms. I am curious to see what Jonathan Weiss comes up with next. In the meantime, encourage anyone local to the OMA studio in Dumbo Brooklyn to experience Jonathans take on Hifi. It will be an experience you won’t soon forget.

IMG_0570.jpeg

Interesting videos from Jonathan:

An absolutely magnificent post and curation of experiences captured. I certainly really appreciate J.W’s work and his attitude towards our relationship between us and the art of listening.
Definitely one of the best posts of the year on head-Fi…at least for me.

Mar 17, 2024 at 9:08 AM Post #83,954 of 87,776
Ode to the Past at Oswalds Mill Audio, CanJam NYC 2024

Since the pandemic, the quality of my social life took a dive. Many of my friends shifted careers, moved/work remote or simply don’t stay in touch as often. While many of us have work friends that we can grab a drink with, finding a true quality friend is a challenging endeavor. It can take months to build up such a connection and finding the right combination of personality, ethics and values. The past few years of active participation in the Watercooler have led to an apex of personal connection. Where family and friends intersect on a journey of music, artistic discovery, engineering curiosity and pursuit of our nirvana. I may have not just found one, but a whole group of such quality friends in The Watercooler.

I was lucky to be part of varied experiences during this trip to CanJam NYC. Attempting to write these experiences in a single post would be challenging, so I have opted for an anthology. A collection of short stories and experiences, which add up to greater than the sum of its parts.

Nearly 10 years ago, I saw a video from Bloomberg which showcased a speaker manufacturer Oswald Mills Audio, boasting of using Pennsylvania Ash and Pennsylvania Slate to build loudspeakers, featuring an enigmatic founder by the name of Jonathan Weiss. He spoke in flowery subjectives and superlatives, explaining the overlooked ‘peak of Hifi’ in the 1930’s with RCA horn designs. His philosophy is to brush aside the common tropes of modern hifi, that originated in the 1970s. Pickup any audiophile magazine today, they all read the same. Adorning the front pages of such publications, you’ll typically find speakers, requiring several hundred Watts to sound their best, weighing several hundred pounds, almost always featuring amps with Class A bias (re Class AB) design. Back when I saw Jonathan Weiss for the first time, I wasn’t sure if he was insane or pulling a giant con. It’s tough to decipher the line between silliness and genius. I have monitored his company carefully, observing if he can survive the game of longevity. A company with poor products in a fussy world of two channel hifi can only survive for so long. Over the past decade, he slowly and steadily built a strong reputation. Starting from his flagship Imperia speakers, down to the entry level DeVille speakers from OMA’s sister company Fleetwood Sound at 15k a pair. OMA’s products and by extension, Jonathan’s reputation is analogous to the Campfire Audio Trifecta. Some are infatuated, others are bewildered. Taking advantage of being in Times Square, a mere 30 min train ride to his showroom in Dumbo Brooklyn, I setup an appointment with little expectations. Nothing prepared me for the journey I was about to embark upon.

IMG_0569.jpeg

IMG_0545.jpeg

IMG_0551 3.jpeg

Walking into his shop, you are struck with Jonathan’s appreciation of yesteryear, an aesthetic emblematic of an ode to the past. Retro posters, walls of vinyl, the wafts of a lone incense burning at the entrance door. Looking around, I notice every OMA design makes use of wood and metal, and featuring wood joinery. This is unusual in the high end two channel space, which is typically dominated by artificial materials such as Wilson Audio’s V material, carbon fiber of Magico, or custom metal alloys married with carbon fiber which are signature of Rockport speakers. OMA’s signature materials are are combination wood, slate and metal. Immediately, Jonathan greeted my father and I, and much to our surprise a fellow CanJam attendee was present, a representative from Innuos, a company that makes digital music servers and streamers. We began chatting with Jonathan about the origins of his company, his philosophy, and how his approach adds value to the competitive landscape. As the conversation progressed, I took a tour around his shop, looking at some of his works from discontinued speakers like the Ironic, to masterpieces such as the Special K amp.

IMG_0543.jpeg

Soon after, Jonathan asked us what speakers we would like to experience, I quickly interjected “The big ones!”. I was referring to the Imperia. Jonathan began rifling through some vinyl in a crate on the ground, intent on creating a pure analog experience. Much to my delight, he found a Muddy Waters vinyl and put it on the K3 Turntable. Putting this experience into words is a challenge. The sound filled the room with absolute ease, and only on a 4 Watt tube amplifier. The vocal was utterly convincing, with a vibrancy and organic realism, this is distinct from ‘fidelity’ which I’ve heard before on other systems. The custom horns OMA sources in Italy reproduced the vocals as if I was sitting in the mouth of the singer, as opposed to hearing the recording, such intensity was new to me. With other summit fi flagship speaker systems I’ve tried (Sonus Faber, Wilson, Focal etc) the speaker will reproduce the recording very well, but I always want to turn up the volume. And if I did not sit in the perfect spot, the stereo imaging would be imbalanced. No matter where I sat in the OMA studio, the wall of sound didn’t suffer from the ‘vertex problem’. With the Imperium (or any OMA speaker I tried that day), the stereo image seemed to blend together close to the point source, instead of at the seat. I asked Jonathan about this, he cited OMA/Fleetwood Sound designs speakers with directivity that doesn’t restrict listening position in mind from the beginning of the design. The result is a system which isn’t fussy about where the listener sits in relation to the plane of the speaker. Bass thundered throughout the room as it spread throughout the space with the same effortless nature of the horns. What stood out to me throughout this experience was how this system rendered the energy of the voice and not just faithfully reproducing a recording. This system reminded me of Campfire Audio Trifecta, and if you want a taste of OMA you can take with you, the Trifecta is the closest one can experience it even if Trifecta lacks the magic horn sound.

IMG_0552.jpeg

IMG_0564.jpeg

As we got halfway through the vinyl record, Jonathan lifted the tone arm and asked for my thoughts. Well, of course I told him I loved it. He responded that it’s not surprising, given the entire chain was close to 1 million dollars. Despite OMA not releasing price lists, some online sleuthing reveals the cost of admission for the Imperia is well over US$300,000 and a similar price for the K3 Turntable alone. He knows this system is simply out of reach for all but a few of those who demo these speakers. The real talent he says, is to bring this magic down a magnitude in price, as this is where the skill lies. Ultimately, his firms success depends on expanding his customer base beyond the well heeled veterans of Wall Street or those with generational wealth. In this vain, we switched to a modest system, the Fleetwood Sound Deville’s. This chain had the fewest amount of components I’ve seen for such a system in its class. Not including the speakers, it was simply two components. The Technics SU-G700M2, an amplifier with "a DAC that isn’t a DAC" as Jonathan remarks, and an Innuos streamer. Most of our audition was on this Deville system alone, as it impressed us on every song we threw at it. From violin caprices to jazz ensembles and sultry vocalists like Yao Si Ting, the Deville speaker executed on delivering the signature OMA effortless house sound, lifelike energy, transforming recordings to something almost living. Granted, the shape of the voice, sound stage, wall of sound or voluminous bass was not even close to the flagship Imperia but this is to be expected when comparing an entry product to a flagship. Jonathan remarked you could use any streamer such as Bluesound Node as a source to keep costs down, with a full Deville system coming in just over US$18,000. Listening to this system was addicting and frequently I would get up and walk around the studio to see if imaging would break, however it did not. Recordings were cohesive, with the signature horns bringing life to the vocals and brass instruments especially. For my tastes, I would add a sub as I loved the dominating bass notes of the Imperia subwoofers.

IMG_0548.jpeg

IMG_0567.jpeg

As the clock struck 4PM, it was our time to leave as we needed to pack up and depart New York. Before we left, had a conversation about the medicinal effect of music, spirituality and reincarnation. Throughout my experience at Oswalds Mills Audio I came to realize that to be an artist requires a tad dose of insanity and stubborn vision. I am reminded of Ken Ball from Campfire Audio, and their flagship Trifecta, an IEM which continues to split much of the Headfi community. Regardless of how one feels about such creations, it mustn’t be forgotten, some of the worlds greatest inventions were created off the beaten paths of the familiar. Jonathan Weiss and Ken Ball seem to share a similar vision of defiance against the status quo, kindred spirits forging paths in different realms. I am curious to see what Jonathan Weiss comes up with next. In the meantime, encourage anyone local to the OMA studio in Dumbo Brooklyn to experience Jonathans take on Hifi. It will be an experience you won’t soon forget.

IMG_0570.jpeg

Interesting videos from Jonathan:

Beautiful post. I wanted to wait until my morning coffee today to dig into it with my undivided attention. Looking forward to the next entries in your anthology.

Mar 17, 2024 at 9:22 AM Post #83,955 of 87,776
I'm in the camp of preferring volume wheels over buttons.

Listening to a single IEM during a long session I find the difference is minor, occasionally an album or track will need a minor volume adjustment so tapping a button once or twice isn't a big deal.

However when A/Bing multiple IEMs for reviews that can require drastically different volume levels, a wheel lets me arrive at the required number more quickly without having to tap a volume button many times, or hold it down & hope it doesn't overshoot the level needed.

You're definitely right that volume wheel quality varies dramatically which is one reason I've always loved Astell & Kern DAPs since nobody builds them better. Having the right amount of tactile feedback with clearly defined clicks makes a huge amount of difference to my usage experience.
Just my preference but I like the "old fashioned/(Analog)" volume wheels that continuously increase or decrease the sound; Like on my IFI Black Label iDSD. They let you quickly and precisely select the volume level. I don't like the digital wheels that only move in clicks; Because it seems like just another version of the click buttons and on screen sliders... Not sure if any new DAPs in the low to mid range price bracket have analog volume control any more... That's Progress for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back