The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 16, 2024 at 12:25 PM Post #83,911 of 89,187
... It seems like the bar of diminishing returns is generally coming way down in the last year despite some absurd prices on the top end.
This law is one of the truths in this hobby.

I have recently received the 150 € iBasso 3T154.

20240316_153219.jpg

Even though not burned in properly yet this 1 DD sounds astoundingly good to my ears. Highly resolving and energetic when the right tips are found. Surely not my most comfortable and easy to position into ones ear canals IEM, but soundwise the iBasso plays way above its price tag. Given that it also comes with some special tech features - a 3 Tesla magnetic field and a very large 15,4 mm DD - quite an amazing product. Would love to be able to compare it to some of its 1 DD competitors like 634ears, Oriveti, Timsok, Simgot, Dita, Softears etc. somewhen... At least it's way more up my alley than the (imho oc) midbass bloated Singularity :)

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2024 at 2:25 PM Post #83,912 of 89,187
Enjoying Saturday afternoon with Orivetti OH700VB, a $699 hybrid with 1x DD and 6x BA - a smooth and super engaging signature that while not the most resolving, more than make up for in sheer unadulterated listening pleasure, a highly musical experience with no offensive peaks. I love how the treble extends in a crisp and airy atmosphere, mids wonderful clarity and nice lush tonality, excellent bass execution with deep sub extension and ample mid bass heft.

Yet another set that performs way beyond its price tag. Full review in a couple of weeks but certainly a 5/5 set!

IMG_1940.jpeg

IMG_2007.jpeg

Oriveti does a wonderful job tuning their IEMs. Very smooth, relaxing house sound. So many IEMs today are just trying too hard. Very impressive.

Mar 16, 2024 at 2:34 PM Post #83,913 of 89,187
I would say the same for the mid-bass region, for very similar reasons. It feels safer to talk about this publicly right now than it was a couple years ago but there are decided regional tuning preferences out there, crudely often classified as "eastern" and "western", with one being more sub-bass focused with more emphasis on the upper mids and treble, and the other being known for more presence in the mid-bass and lower mid region. Hence shoutiness is as much of a deal breaker for some as muddiness is for others-- even though what might be shouty or muddy for one person, will not necessarily be so for another. All of this to say, as others have said, there is not and should not imho be a single standard tuning protocol that applies to all people at all times. Just like with food we should celebrate the bewildering diversity in flavors and textures as this is the best way to assure that, in a world where no two snowflakes-- or any two people's tastes- are completely alike that there will be the perfect IEM out there for everyone.
I've found that classic south asian and middle eastern music also don't sound great with earphones that sacrifice mid-bass a little too much in favor of a cleaner sound.

Mar 16, 2024 at 2:51 PM Post #83,914 of 89,187
Volume wheel versus volume buttons - I’m definitely in the latter camp and one of many things I love about Sony DAPs. I’ve found volume wheels on every DAP to be hit and miss… love the simplicity and reliability of + & -

IMG_2026.jpeg

Mar 16, 2024 at 2:52 PM Post #83,915 of 89,187
There is greatness at every tier imho and the gap between, say the ~$1k or so range and the elites is narrower than many would believe right now. Popped Bonneville in for the first time in a few months for a session and it absolutely holds its own with any of the top tier sets I've heard recently. One of the truly great IEMs to come out recently IMHO.

415446A1-C41A-4D45-88B5-B3F36F57C8A7.JPEG

Mar 16, 2024 at 3:20 PM Post #83,916 of 89,187
There is greatness at every tier imho and the gap between, say the ~$1k or so range and the elites is narrower than many would believe right now. Popped Bonneville in for the first time in a few months for a session and it absolutely holds its own with any of the top tier sets I've heard recently. One of the truly great IEMs to come out recently IMHO.

Campfire and Sony has some insane synergy. I tried my gold brick at Audio 46 with the Bonneville and it was amazing 🔥 there was a new customer in there trying a bunch of high end iems and ended up leaving with Bonneville

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2024 at 3:35 PM Post #83,917 of 89,187
Volume wheel versus volume buttons - I’m definitely in the latter camp and one of many things I love about Sony DAPs. I’ve found volume wheels on every DAP to be hit and miss… love the simplicity and reliability of + & -

IMG_2026.jpeg
Volume wheel. My Lotoo never failed me on that.

Mar 16, 2024 at 3:45 PM Post #83,918 of 89,187
Pilgrim was very good, a prototype, supplied to MT without cable. Leo paired with something that is what we heard. He thinks the tuning is final expects only nozzle refinement, and choose a cable for it. It sounds like 2K plus, technically Annihilator is better to me though the Pilgrim is easier to listen to and does have a similar tuning, at the proposed price of 4-5 hundred it is a “no brainer” and a “why not”. Looking massively forward to hearing it again in its final iteration.
Will we be able to purchase Pilgrim at MT?

Mar 16, 2024 at 3:59 PM Post #83,919 of 89,187

IMG_2026.jpeg
Try buttons on Hiby R6 pro II, you will change your mind. It's insanely easy to push buttons and go to max volume and blow your ear drums out!!!! :astonished::angry::cry:

Mar 16, 2024 at 4:25 PM Post #83,920 of 89,187
Try buttons on Hiby R6 pro II, you will change your mind. It's insanely easy to push buttons and go to max volume and blow your ear drums out!!!! :astonished::angry::cry:
I tried the Sony gold brick and the buttons threw me, I am unused to that. It sounded good and felt solid, similar physical size to my P6Pro which I still think sounds better, that is a personal thing and it has been more then 4 years now so that familiarity is a factor.

Will we be able to purchase Pilgrim at MT?
Maybe by May this year, I am a doubter though that is what Leo (MT) said.

Mar 16, 2024 at 4:34 PM Post #83,921 of 89,187

I am still too busy to write a review/impression for Bonneville, I need to find time in the next weeks to do so. Bonneville is the first IEM from CFA that I had longer demoing, I really love it. It is to me a Z1R on steroid, very energetic and very mid-bass focused. It is the only IEM that I felt I need to re-listen to all songs in my library with Bonneville as it almost like gives all the songs another life.

@OneEyedHito was selling his recent CFA purchases, and I almost jump at his Bonneville. But since I was still having the Bonneville as part of the tour, I decided to wait. The only concern is Bonneville will overlap with my Z1R. Another potential issue with Bonneville is that it is hard for you to do a relaxed listening with Bonneville. It will make every note jumping to you and grab your attention. Therefore, long-term listening could be fatiguing. I did listen to Bonneville for more than 2 hours in one setting without any problem, but I still have the worry.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2024 at 4:42 PM Post #83,922 of 89,187
For the first time in my life, I understood what treble fatique means with the A8000. Really very unpleasant...

Oh well, the second time was with Viking Ragnar. Also very unpleasant...
Have you ever demo'd the Final Piano Forte series?

Mar 16, 2024 at 4:48 PM Post #83,924 of 89,187
Never, why?
Just wondering because they're near impossible to find in the wild, and I haven't read any reviews that weren't years old. On paper very niche & grand, but the lack of detachable cables is extremely concerning on a unit that costs that much. Their A and B series are fairly easy to find and are supposed to compete with senn's but they appear to fall short.

Mar 16, 2024 at 4:49 PM Post #83,925 of 89,187
Just wondering because they're near impossible to find in the wild, and I haven't read any reviews that weren't years old. On paper very niche & grand, but the lack of detachable cables is extremely concerning on a unit that costs that much. Their A and B series are fairly easy to find and are supposed to compete with senn's but they appear to fall short.
Yes, I actually noticed that when I was interested in the A8000 and Final Audio in general.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back