The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 14, 2024 at 7:06 AM Post #83,732 of 87,696
If I'm not mistaken, we were chatting across MT table, toward the end of the day on Saturday? I did ask you for your head-fi "name", you were the guy with a beard and tattoos, right? Was nice talking to you, man!

Hmm, while I knew/met most of the people in our group picture, I missed a few :frowning2: Were you wearing hat backwards, the bodybuilder dude? Sorry, I didn't get a chance to talk to you!
That was me 🤙🏼 Ya man, it was great talking with you too!

Mar 14, 2024 at 8:41 AM Post #83,734 of 87,696
It was great meeting you @twister6 . It was fun discussing the origins of the granite countertop, @aaf evo 's bed sheets, and some of the standout iems at the show.

Mar 14, 2024 at 10:03 AM Post #83,735 of 87,696
It was great meeting you @twister6 . It was fun discussing the origins of the granite countertop, @aaf evo 's bed sheets, and some of the standout iems at the show.

It was nice meeting and chatting with you too, bud! You definitely earned your Mr Sharp Dressed "B" Man award at the show :xf_cool:

And, Bobby (@aaf evo), sorry, I didn't have a chance to chat more. Still blaming Crin for when you walked by as I was talking to him lol But, there is always next year CanJam NYC!

Mar 14, 2024 at 10:14 AM Post #83,736 of 87,696
I’m bummed I didn’t get to meet you, @Sifo , or @tjzurlaaa and whoever else I never crossed paths with.. but there’s always next time 😏

At that time @Sifo and I were probably at @Eric Chong Eletech table, picking his brain about new Romeo and Juliet iems protos :) And then putting more pressure on Jack/Dean about new Sonion BCD drivers lol

432524708_845142367649626_2426189487762482203_n.jpg

... I'm seriously bummed out. You wait the whole year and the show is over in a blink of an eye :frowning2:

Mar 14, 2024 at 10:16 AM Post #83,737 of 87,696
It was nice meeting and chatting with you too, bud! You definitely earned your Mr Sharp Dressed "B" Man award at the show :xf_cool:

And, Bobby (@aaf evo), sorry, I didn't have a chance to chat more. Still blaming Crin for when you walked by as I was talking to him lol But, there is always next year CanJam NYC!

I had also just finished 2 hours of bottomless mimosas with @tawmizzzz right before then. That noisy ass CanJam floor wasn’t the vibe for me at that time 😅🤣

Mar 14, 2024 at 10:57 AM Post #83,739 of 87,696
I wasn't entirely sure which Watercooler member I said hi to at first! I was going to find out by asking on here who could do the best Darth Vader impression lol. You would win for sure. It was good to meet you.

I also realized after the fact that I had briefly spoken with Twister6! Probably for the best I didn't immediately recognize him, saved him from having to hear the same kind of nerdy fanboyism I subjected Bogdan to. It's funny because I walked away thinking "I KNOW I recognize that guy's ears and the side of his head from somewhere..." :sweat_smile:

Oh, but we did have a small chat :) And, since you mentioned about being both the audio and the car enthusiast, I assume SweetCans928 might have something to do with Porsche 928? :D

Mar 14, 2024 at 10:58 AM Post #83,740 of 87,696
Day 2 at CanJam I did hear something that moved me. I do not have any photos as I had to be quick about it, and get back to the MT tables.

The only stuff I am seriously considering from the experience is; the Immanis three ribbon headphone and Raal VM-1a tube amp. Almost brought me to tears. I felt totally immersed in a wall of sound, so visceral. My headphone and amp knowledge is like from 1-100 maybe 5, so just going by what I heard. At a friends home I also demoed Friday some of his extensive HF and Amp collection. The Susvara amped by Riviera AIC10. That one is just something else lots of detail, not sharp at all, very musical. Ideally if I find a way to have the use case both would be golden.

Mar 14, 2024 at 11:01 AM Post #83,741 of 87,696
At that time @Sifo and I were probably at @Eric Chong Eletech table, picking his brain about new Romeo and Juliet iems protos :) And then putting more pressure on Jack/Dean about new Sonion BCD drivers lol

432524708_845142367649626_2426189487762482203_n.jpg

... I'm seriously bummed out. You wait the whole year and the show is over in a blink of an eye :frowning2:

Always a good time talking to Empire and Eletech with you, helps reinforce my confidence too since we're usually on the same page. Hopefully our discussions can influence some great products in the future :)

Mar 14, 2024 at 11:34 AM Post #83,742 of 87,696
Honestly? Without making a big public drama about it, I'll keep it brief. Two reasons: one, as nice as people were, I got a very firm impression there's a tightly knit club and the intention's to keep it that way. Nobody owes me anything, but yeah, it lowkey sucked being the odd man out. I've had enough going on elsewhere that I need uplifting experiences, not ones that bring back the feeling of being the kid sitting alone in the school cafeteria.

And two? Without naming names--and I'm not going to name names in public--one of the big regular watercooler member names here at these events (plural), who I'd previously had a lot of respect for, thought the idea of an icebreaker when meeting me for the second time ever was cracking a joke about my dead cat to make small talk. And then repeating it a second time when I looked at him dumbfounded. And gosh, I've tried to let that go. I've sat on it. I've ruminated on it. I've tried to justify it six ways to Sunday as being some elaborate misunderstanding. But yeah, no matter which way I cut it, I can't process it. It just...yeah, it really hurt. I spent the last year vomiting blood in the ER, changing jobs twice, moving states, having my dad collapse on me, and burying two animals, and I guess it's kind of a small thing in the grander scale all things considered but my big takeaway is: I really, really loved those stupid frigging cats. There were two. And I've said a lot, but that's sort of where my headspace is at.

So sorry to hear that :frowning2: I wish I would have known who you are so we can chat, man. Assuming this was your first CanJam show, it is an overwhelming experience. While from a different perspective, I also felt lost at my first CanJam NYC back in 2017, too many tables, too many people, a few PR/marketing people acting like pushy car salesmen, and just overall, bouncing around like in a pinball machine. Was definitely not the same experience as a kid in a candy store, that's for sure. Didn't take any coherent notes, hardly any pictures. For my next CanJam, I had to sit down the night before and lay down the plan I'll be able to stick to. Only later it became a more uplifting social experience, though it still feels a bit like a workday for me, especially since I can only make it on Saturday, too much in one day.

Also, the conversation about pets you lost doesn't sound too comforting either. I'm usually try to be optimistic and to give people the benefit of the doubt, thus hope maybe it was just an awkward ice-breaker conversation that went wrong because they didn't know themselves what to say, and things sometimes come out of our mouth unintentionally. I met a lot of these guys, and haven't come across anybody with a mean spirit. So, I really hope it was some misunderstanding instead of an intentional joke to hurt you. As you have seen in this thread before, the topic of cats damaging IEMs and cables does come up occasionally. And I do feel your pain about being attached and loosing a pet. At home we have a spare guest bedroom named after our parakeet we had for 13+ years, a regular member of the family we all still miss and talk about :frowning2:

Btw, maybe for yours and others benefit, I just marked Watercooler group picture with HF tags, if you can even see it (did it in a rush, maybe should have used a different color, plus the picture itself was lo-fi). There are 4 people I'm not familiar with (2 on the left and 2 between Ethan and Warren), maybe someone can chime in and let me know who they are. This picture only captures about half of WC who were there, including HF staff and some manufacturers who joined us. The full picture would have been a lot bigger.

tw-tags.jpg

Mar 14, 2024 at 11:47 AM Post #83,743 of 87,696
Thanks @twister6 for those tags, I think I actually met you @tjzurlaaa last NYC... Correct me if I'm wrong you were rocking MEST MK2 and had a moment of panic at the A-T booth thinking you lost the iem's?

If that's indeed you, damn you put in the work in 2023 getting some flagship IEM's!

CanJam NYC 2024
Plan to post full impressions from CanJam by week’s end but wanted to post a few highlights to start. I’ve learned I absolutely adore DD’s and solid core cables. Have a few things on order and am hoping to have them in hand prior to posting but all in all, what an awesome experience and pleasure meeting everyone.

Cable Highlights
Copper: Beat Audio Cyclone 8W
Copper/ Silver: Code 24 & Nightjar Mira MKII
Copper/Silver/Gold: Flash Acoustics flagship series (Ultron, Thanos, Blaze)

IEMs that seriously impressed me (cost factored)
Nightjar Singularity, Elysian Pilgrim, CA Trifecta, DITA Project M, Trailli Ti

Over-ears
ZMF Caldera Closed

Source
@bigbeans Sony DMP-Z1 - Thank you so much for the opportunity to demo your personal unit. Hearing the new Mason FS and Trailli Ti through this chain ruined everything I listened to for the next hour but it was completely worth it.

Lesson Learned
I’m extremely happy with my gear and demoed very few things that outperformed or filled a void I don’t already have filled. FOMO on hold until further notice.

More to come..
Very curious to hear more impressions on Flash acoustics cables.

Nobody has really compared the 3 offerings

Last edited:
Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Mar 14, 2024 at 12:01 PM Post #83,744 of 87,696
Day 2 at CanJam I did hear something that moved me. I do not have any photos as I had to be quick about it, and get back to the MT tables.

The only stuff I am seriously considering from the experience is; the Immanis three ribbon headphone and Raal VM-1a tube amp. Almost brought me to tears. I felt totally immersed in a wall of sound, so visceral. My headphone and amp knowledge is like from 1-100 maybe 5, so just going by what I heard. At a friends home I also demoed Friday some of his extensive HF and Amp collection. The Susvara amped by Riviera AIC10. That one is just something else lots of detail, not sharp at all, very musical. Ideally if I find a way to have the use case both would be golden.
I am with you. I do like several IEMs. Mason FS Soleil, Canpur 622B, Traillii Ti, Monachaa stand out in my mind as IEMs I would normally want to purchase. However, the only product that really has me mesmerized and is begging me to buy it is Raal Immanis. 3 ribbon. I loved everything about it. It reminded me of a souped up Stax SR-X9000. I need to a/b them at home to see if it is worth picking up given its eye popping price.

Mar 14, 2024 at 12:10 PM Post #83,745 of 87,696
Thanks @twister6 for those tags, I think I actually met you @tjzurlaaa last NYC... Correct me if I'm wrong you were rocking MEST MK2 and had a moment of panic at the A-T booth thinking you lost the iem's?

If that's indeed you, damn you put in the work in 2023 getting some flagship IEM's!

Very curious to hear more impressions on Flash acoustics cables.

Nobody has really compared the 3 offerings
Yeah that was me! I remember that last year 💀🤣 luckily, this year I was a little more prepared

Users who are viewing this thread

Back