The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 14, 2024 at 12:19 PM Post #83,746 of 88,673
So sorry to hear that :frowning2: I wish I would have known who you are so we can chat, man. Assuming this was your first CanJam show, it is an overwhelming experience. While from a different perspective, I also felt lost at my first CanJam NYC back in 2017, too many tables, too many people, a few PR/marketing people acting like pushy car salesmen, and just overall, bouncing around like in a pinball machine. Was definitely not the same experience as a kid in a candy store, that's for sure. Didn't take any coherent notes, hardly any pictures. For my next CanJam, I had to sit down the night before and lay down the plan I'll be able to stick to. Only later it became a more uplifting social experience, though it still feels a bit like a workday for me, especially since I can only make it on Saturday, too much in one day.

Also, the conversation about pets you lost doesn't sound too comforting either. I'm usually try to be optimistic and to give people the benefit of the doubt, thus hope maybe it was just an awkward ice-breaker conversation that went wrong because they didn't know themselves what to say, and things sometimes come out of our mouth unintentionally. I met a lot of these guys, and haven't come across anybody with a mean spirit. So, I really hope it was some misunderstanding instead of an intentional joke to hurt you. As you have seen in this thread before, the topic of cats damaging IEMs and cables does come up occasionally. And I do feel your pain about being attached and loosing a pet. At home we have a spare guest bedroom named after our parakeet we had for 13+ years, a regular member of the family we all still miss and talk about :frowning2:

Btw, maybe for yours and others benefit, I just marked Watercooler group picture with HF tags, if you can even see it (did it in a rush, maybe should have used a different color, plus the picture itself was lo-fi). There are 4 people I'm not familiar with (2 on the left and 2 between Ethan and Warren), maybe someone can chime in and let me know who they are. This picture only captures about half of WC who were there, including HF staff and some manufacturers who joined us. The full picture would have been a lot bigger.

tw-tags.jpg

Thanks for taking the time & effort to do that. I love that these photos just get bigger every year. Love seeing Chang and Bogdan in there. FYI the two to my right are @buke9 and @NovaFlyer respectively.

Mar 14, 2024 at 1:01 PM Post #83,747 of 88,673
I had also just finished 2 hours of bottomless mimosas with @tawmizzzz right before then. That noisy ass CanJam floor wasn’t the vibe for me at that time 😅🤣
2.5* hours, that final large pitcher was the dagger lol.

It was a great experience going to my third NYC CanJam and meeting some of the WC legends, some new friends, as well as trying out amplifiers that still tempt me to add them to my household despite my wallets' constraints. That being said, I did walk away with two gorgeous toys [ZMF Caldera & WA23 LUNA], and look forward to how the gear shakes up over the next month or two.

Shout out to Zahl HM1 and Feliks Audio Envy 25th Anniversary edition for the endless temptations and hauntings.

Caldera Stabilized Wood STD:

DSC01941.jpgDSC01945 2.jpgDSC01878.JPG

WA23 LUNA:

IMG_6117.jpgIMG_6133 2.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2024 at 1:06 PM Post #83,748 of 88,673

It was a great experience going to my third NYC CanJam and meeting some of the WC legends, some new friends, as well as trying out amplifiers that still tempt me to add them to my household despite my wallets' constraints. That being said, I did walk away with two gorgeous toys [ZMF Caldera & WA23 LUNA], and look forward to how the gear shakes up over the next month or two.

Shout out to Zahl HM1 and Feliks Audio Envy 25th Anniversary edition for the endless temptations and hauntings.

WA23 LUNA:

Was great meeting you man. Really enjoyed the brief time we got to chat.

In other news some coastal BC beauty:

IMG_0651.jpeg

Mar 14, 2024 at 2:12 PM Post #83,749 of 88,673
BC is like a more habitable Alaska.

Mar 14, 2024 at 2:17 PM Post #83,750 of 88,673
I am wondering if people would be interested to learn more about the Limited edition Unique Melody Max? If so, I'll write a review in the next couple weeks (and my first!). There's literally nothing on these $2000 IEMs on Head-fi and with their configuration they hold the promise of becoming my favorite UM set.

1710399661132.png
Have these a d posted a few thoughts on the past within this thread, great that someone else will share impressions.

As mentioned on my post I remove the metal grill/mesh thing as to achieve maximum potential

Mar 14, 2024 at 2:20 PM Post #83,751 of 88,673
When I hear someone mention chess my ears perk up. Are you a player/fan of this wonderful game?

Yes to both! Chess boards and headphones are the only two things I'm always on the look out for at thrift stores and other places where you might find old, forgotten stuff. Just recently got one of those boards that you can hang on the wall and play with magnetic pieces. It's pretty cool because you can play a game with your significant other, and you both are free to make moves whenever. It even has a little turn indicator so you don't lose track of whose turn it is. How about yourself?

Oh, but we did have a small chat :) And, since you mentioned about being both the audio and the car enthusiast, I assume SweetCans928 might have something to do with Porsche 928? :D

I think you must be thinking of someone else. I was the guy who asked you about the driver config of the Oriolus Traillii TI. I had just finished trying it and you were courteously making sure I was done before jumping in. I was wondering if they stuck a DD in there, because the bass was amazing! Next time I will subject you to some nerdy fanboyism :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2024 at 2:37 PM Post #83,752 of 88,673
Yes to both! Chess boards and headphones are the only two things I'm always on the look out for at thrift stores and other places where you might find old, forgotten stuff. Just recently got one of those boards that you can hang on the wall and play with magnetic pieces. It's pretty cool because you can play a game with your significant other, and you both are free to make moves whenever. It even has a little turn indicator so you don't lose track of whose turn it is. How about yourself?

I think you must be thinking of someone else. I was the guy who asked you about the driver config of the Oriolus Traillii TI. I had just finished trying it and you were courteously making sure I was done before jumping in. I was wondering if they stuck a DD in there, because the bass was amazing! Next time I will subject you to some nerdy fanboyism :ksc75smile:

Oh, sorry, got my wires crossed :) Talk to too many people at the table.

Mar 14, 2024 at 2:43 PM Post #83,753 of 88,673
So sorry to hear that :frowning2: I wish I would have known who you are so we can chat, man. Assuming this was your first CanJam show, it is an overwhelming experience. While from a different perspective, I also felt lost at my first CanJam NYC back in 2017, too many tables, too many people, a few PR/marketing people acting like pushy car salesmen, and just overall, bouncing around like in a pinball machine. Was definitely not the same experience as a kid in a candy store, that's for sure. Didn't take any coherent notes, hardly any pictures. For my next CanJam, I had to sit down the night before and lay down the plan I'll be able to stick to. Only later it became a more uplifting social experience, though it still feels a bit like a workday for me, especially since I can only make it on Saturday, too much in one day.

Also, the conversation about pets you lost doesn't sound too comforting either. I'm usually try to be optimistic and to give people the benefit of the doubt, thus hope maybe it was just an awkward ice-breaker conversation that went wrong because they didn't know themselves what to say, and things sometimes come out of our mouth unintentionally. I met a lot of these guys, and haven't come across anybody with a mean spirit. So, I really hope it was some misunderstanding instead of an intentional joke to hurt you. As you have seen in this thread before, the topic of cats damaging IEMs and cables does come up occasionally. And I do feel your pain about being attached and loosing a pet. At home we have a spare guest bedroom named after our parakeet we had for 13+ years, a regular member of the family we all still miss and talk about :frowning2:

Btw, maybe for yours and others benefit, I just marked Watercooler group picture with HF tags, if you can even see it (did it in a rush, maybe should have used a different color, plus the picture itself was lo-fi). There are 4 people I'm not familiar with (2 on the left and 2 between Ethan and Warren), maybe someone can chime in and let me know who they are. This picture only captures about half of WC who were there, including HF staff and some manufacturers who joined us. The full picture would have been a lot bigger.

tw-tags.jpg

Ok, now got everybody in the picture tagged, even @bigbeans dad! Maybe next year we should have a dedicated Watercooler Seminar session, just to go around the room and introduce ourselves :D

tw-tags.jpg

Mar 14, 2024 at 2:51 PM Post #83,754 of 88,673
Ok, now got everybody in the picture tagged, even @bigbeans dad! Maybe next year we should have a dedicated Watercooler Seminar session, just to go around the room and introduce ourselves :D

tw-tags.jpg
And perhaps change the Head-fi Presents logo into The Watercooler Presents. 🤭

drftr

Mar 14, 2024 at 3:12 PM Post #83,755 of 88,673
Have these a d posted a few thoughts on the past within this thread, great that someone else will share impressions.

As mentioned on my post I remove the metal grill/mesh thing as to achieve maximum potential
I think that was also me haha. I learnt and highlighted this was launched in HK

Mar 14, 2024 at 3:26 PM Post #83,756 of 88,673

WA23 LUNA:

I love that Stabilized Caldera. Did you buy it?

Dang, I missed you. Hope that we can meet next time.

Mar 14, 2024 at 3:27 PM Post #83,757 of 88,673

tw-tags.jpg
@bigbeans dad created a headfi account. Soon we will be able to post with him here.

Mar 14, 2024 at 3:31 PM Post #83,758 of 88,673
I love that Stabilized Caldera. Did you buy it?

Dang, I missed you. Hope that we can meet next time.
Yes sir, took those photos at home. I was going to go out to get lunch around 3pm on that Sunday but something told me to go back to that ZMF room and pull the trigger. Zach and Bev both said good call because there were a handful of folks very close to grabbing them lol.

I think I saw you by the MT booth briefly but yes, next time for sure!

Mar 14, 2024 at 3:33 PM Post #83,759 of 88,673
Yes sir, took those photos at home. I was going to go out to get lunch around 3pm on that Sunday but something told me to go back to that ZMF room and pull the trigger. Zach and Bev both said good call because there were a handful of folks very close to grabbing them lol.

Let me know ahead of time and I will get you a tag.

Mar 14, 2024 at 3:42 PM Post #83,760 of 88,673

Very nice catch! I’d have bought them myself if I were there. Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back