The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 28, 2024 at 4:08 PM Post #80,026 of 90,065
Catching up with the thread and getting the sense that we could use some good vibes shared all around. So, I hope everyone is having a restful Sunday full of music listening!

On my end, I just received the iBasso DC Elite dongle, and I have to say it is the real deal! I think I may actually prefer its sound to that of my good ol' DX300. I tried it with several of my sets to get a broad impression. That being said, because the Traillii sounds so good off of anything you plug it into, that ended up not being the most informative choice of transducer. On the other hand, the Trifecta loves this dongle... at least in my opinion, but this of course is relative to how you would tweak the stock Trifecta sound so YMMV. There is an added density and tightness to the low end that I feel elevates the Trifecta to new heights for me. In particular, I find improvements to the speed of the bass that massively increase my enjoyment of fast paced electronic music such as IDM. The blackness of the DC Elite's background also plays really well with the Trifecta's massive staging. The midrange is largely uncolored so if you're interested in further warmth there this dongle may not be your cup of tea, but at least with this IEM I don't feel the need to add more color there.

I also have briefly tried the DC Elite with the VE Elysium and I don't think I've heard its treble extend as well before. Take this with a grain of salt though as I haven't compared with other sources and it's been a while since I gave the Elysium some time. Lastly, the DC Elite can drive the Meze Elite really well too, but once again the Meze cans are known for not being very picky with sources so maybe there's not much surprise. Much more listening to come, but so far this dongle is an absolute winner (especially with Trifecta) and I'm really impressed with what iBasso has been up to lately.
Are you trying DC Elite from your cellphone or from a laptop? If it is this good from a cellphone, maybe it can replace many DAPs.

Jan 28, 2024 at 4:15 PM Post #80,027 of 90,065
TIMSOK TS-316 review done... HERE

I took a bit of a different approach for this review where I listened to a track on TS-316 and then compare to a selection of other DDs. I found this to work well in comparing each IEM track by track.

Love this IEM, another very worthy addition to my single DD collection.

P1030169.JPG

Jan 28, 2024 at 4:17 PM Post #80,028 of 90,065
Are you trying DC Elite from your cellphone or from a laptop? If it is this good from a cellphone, maybe it can replace many DAPs.
I've tried both but most of my time was off of my Pixel 6. I definitely think it can replace DAPs based on sound quality, but as always with these devices use case reigns supreme. They will either fit your day-to-day or they won't and that's a perfectly good reason to prefer one type of device over the other.

Jan 28, 2024 at 4:39 PM Post #80,029 of 90,065
@Sebastien Chiu should be able to help Bro.

OK, now just switch the cable to something ridiculous that you have. Code 24 is the cherry on top of you have, but get another cable on it, even tho stock is damn pretty.

When properly powered and with a phat cable, it becomes the strangest animal but so fun and addictive, you just keep wondering how the next track is gonna sound, and luckily for me, my library likes it a lot. The bass capability is hidden by the stock cable, IMHO. Maybe it's a sin, but put the $800 code 24 with it, and for 1200, you got something pretty special.

I'm counting the days, and beginning to wonder if there's a 12 step program for us...

Shiver me timbers, I must hang with Todd, I need your inspiration! If only I could figure out a wall for this!

Jeff, please plug your Quattro into that exact setup, Perpetua will be patient, and let me know what you think. What I said above, put Quattro on that cable with a good source and it's a step up from the stock.
I was using the Eletech Victoria in that photo broooo, not stock. I’ll step it up though. First Times?

Jan 28, 2024 at 4:53 PM Post #80,030 of 90,065
I agree, the DC Elite dongle sounds great with all my iems including Trifecta out of Iphone 15. Just be careful to take it out, cause this little monster will suck the battery juice very quickly. About 15%-20% every hour. Even in standby mode.

Jan 28, 2024 at 5:04 PM Post #80,031 of 90,065
I agree, the DC Elite dongle sounds great with all my iems including Trifecta out of Iphone 15. Just be careful to take it out, cause this little monster will suck the battery juice very quickly. About 15%-20% every hour. Even in standby mode.

This is one of the reasons I prefer a Dap to a dongle...conserving the battery life of my phone.

Also, I didn't realize you had a Trifecta...nice!

Jan 28, 2024 at 5:08 PM Post #80,032 of 90,065
IMG_1115.jpeg

Fresh arrival, thanks to a great trade. I’ve been wanting to trying Raven after so many favorable impressions shared here. And I will say so far it does not disappoint! I’m only a few hours of listening in and I already love its thunderous and detailed bass and tremendous staging, imaging and overall technicals. It has some heat and a little sizzle in the high end, which I’ve partially mitigated with tips and cable.

I spent a bit of time A/Bing Raven with Loki. This requires much more focused listening, but first blush is these are very similar. Both fun V shaped profiles, both with excellent powerful bass, both with superb technicals. Two clear distinctions I pick up so far are Raven’s more expansive stage and Loki’s more refined and less spicy treble.

IMG_0044.jpeg

I’ll share more comparisons on these two soon. I’m also sensing a lot of similarities between Raven and Fei Wan so I’ll add that to the comparison mix. Loads of great listening to come!

Jan 28, 2024 at 5:33 PM Post #80,033 of 90,065
I have to confess something: since I owe my Amber Pearl IEM I do not listen anymore to my full size headphone. I find those IEM more immersive…

Am I the only one prefering TOL IEM to headphones ?
No you are not. Sold all my headphones after I heard a few TOTL IEMs...

Jan 28, 2024 at 5:39 PM Post #80,034 of 90,065

Fresh arrival, thanks to a great trade. I’ve been wanting to trying Raven after so many favorable impressions shared here. And I will say so far it does not disappoint! I’m only a few hours of listening in and I already love its thunderous and detailed bass and tremendous staging, imaging and overall technicals. It has some heat and a little sizzle in the high end, which I’ve partially mitigated with tips and cable.

I spent a bit of time A/Bing Raven with Loki. This requires much more focused listening, but first blush is these are very similar. Both fun V shaped profiles, both with excellent powerful bass, both with superb technicals. Two clear distinctions I pick up so far are Raven’s more expansive stage and Loki’s more refined and less spicy treble.

I’ll share more comparisons on these two soon. I’m also sensing a lot of similarities between Raven and Fei Wan so I’ll add that to the comparison mix. Loads of great listening to come!
If you haven’t yet, give them a try with some wider bore tips like spiraldots of Azla vivids… love how cavernous they sounded! The launch issues had put me off picking up a pair but I will grab one later down the line. Loved the sound staging and BCD imaging.

Jan 28, 2024 at 5:42 PM Post #80,035 of 90,065
Hi @MatW, I've always wondered what the Mason FS sounded like. Could you casually describe? Thanks.
The Mason FS is a mid focused set in my collection. It can be used quite broadly but I think it works best for vocals, acoustic, jazz, some blues as well. I tried it with metal and while it’s not bad it sounds a bit harsh with that. Vocals are really its main strength. I suspect the BCD is boosting the mids a little, making the vocals sound so good. It has a nice sub bass rumble as well. I am traveling at the moment and I don’t have it with me, but writing this is making me look forward to listening to them again when I’m back.

Jan 28, 2024 at 5:53 PM Post #80,036 of 90,065
TIMSOK TS-316 review done... HERE

I took a bit of a different approach for this review where I listened to a track on TS-316 and then compare to a selection of other DDs. I found this to work well in comparing each IEM track by track.

Love this IEM, another very worthy addition to my single DD collection.

P1030169.JPG
Thanks for the detailed review with comparison with other DD IEMs. It seems a good set though probably not my type.

Jan 28, 2024 at 6:00 PM Post #80,037 of 90,065
No you are not. Sold all my headphones after I heard a few TOTL IEMs...
I am entertaining that idea, selling all of my headphones and DAC/AMP, I may add a few more IEMs, but not sure :).

Jan 28, 2024 at 6:02 PM Post #80,038 of 90,065
Yes long time ago, before I gave into streaming only 7 months ago, my process was just that.
All I can say is I wasted a lot of time not embracing streaming music sooner. My music discovery has ramped up major, now it is every day before it was once or twice a month.
Still the collector in me wants to keep buying CDs.
I too was download only up until the last year or so. It’s expanded my new music palette considerably. Listened to Brittney Spencer last night which I never would have without streaming. Country is not my favorite genre, yet I really enjoyed her new record. She’s immensely talented.

Streaming is also impacting my thought process regarding whether to purchase a DAP or dongle. @Rockwell75 and others espousing how well WM1Z and Trifecta pair has me so intrigued but not having streaming as an option is now a factor. May have to go with WM1ZM2, WM1AM2, R8 II or perhaps even iBasso DC Elite. I had a WM1A so pehaps I should go with Sony. That would be fitting as it would complete a Sony/Campfire reunion for me. :)

Jan 28, 2024 at 6:24 PM Post #80,039 of 90,065
I too was download only up until the last year or so. It’s expanded my new music palette considerably. Listened to Brittney Spencer last night which I never would have without streaming. Country is not my favorite genre, yet I really enjoyed her new record. She’s immensely talented.

Streaming is also impacting my thought process regarding whether to purchase a DAP or dongle. @Rockwell75 and others espousing how well WM1Z and Trifecta pair has me so intrigued but not having streaming as an option is now a factor. May have to go with WM1ZM2, WM1AM2, R8 II or perhaps even iBasso DC Elite. I had a WM1A so pehaps I should go with Sony. That would be fitting as it would complete a Sony/Campfire reunion for me. :)

I suppose that is an unanswered question one that those of you who know me will likely understand that not only did streaming change my use case, but the reason why I am streaming is I am in a building everyday, a building with a stable WiFi connection.
A separate building from the house where only I am in it. I have speakers on both floors and the music is synced up and controllable from my phone.

This has at the same time eliminated much of the need for in ears and a dap to hear music. Before this drastic lifestyle change we lived in a small home and no one else wanted to hear my music, so if I wanted to have music in my life I had to do it solo. It did not matter the old house was technically my castle the kids and my wife made the no music choice for me and that was not okay with me, in an effort to avoid the arguments that standing my ground would cause I simply used IEMs, and I was using my own library exclusively.

So I love the P6Pro and what does it mean now for me with these two changes, it has been delegated to walks and travel for now. The studio and this new paradigm has not become boring. And the sound in here is as loud or quiet as I want it, upstairs sounds like a live event, downstairs sounds like a club.

Wifi is still crap once I leave my property in rural PA and the P6Pro does not stream (I can if I make my phone a source), though I still enjoy my library so for the limited use I am okay still not streaming on a dap.

Anyway hope that covers it, and happy listening everyone, as I continue to appreciate IEMs and am interested in hearing the new models even though my use case for them has changed so much at this juncture of my life’s journey.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2024 at 6:57 PM Post #80,040 of 90,065

Users who are viewing this thread

Back