The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 11, 2024 at 10:42 PM Post #77,987 of 89,888
Greatly appreciated, accolades only make me want to work harder, in order to be deserving of the recognition.

cheers-lets-drink.gif
Hey John,

I had a nice visit with Jim and Fumie today at CES.

Jan 11, 2024 at 10:47 PM Post #77,988 of 89,888
Canpur 622b….the hype seems real and folks are really excited about the results they are hearing. I’m currently spending too much time with Anni 2023 and am I missing something I would regret?
After back to backing these, there are plenty of differences but Anni was my clear preference. The 622b is quite technically adept but I found it a bit too bright and bit disjointed on a few high-range songs in my library. Anni would be my choice 9/10 times with my daily music choices (more of an Anni rave than 622 diss).

Jan 11, 2024 at 10:57 PM Post #77,989 of 89,888
Jan 12, 2024 at 12:12 AM Post #77,990 of 89,888
Just got the Noble Spartacus in... and what a surprise enjoyable set this has been!

I first heard these at Potafes last summer. They sounded well-balanced and seemed suited for all-rounder but I couldn't pick out any "character" to push myself to buy it. I think I wasn't hearing the BCD's on the floor. It probably got drowned by the surrounding noise. I had a similar lackluster impression with Loki too which I would like to give it a chance at some point.

Now listening to Spartacus at home, I can enjoy this fatigue-free for hours! And it sounds all correct to me! Spartacus has a very nice weighty extended bass. Not the highest resolution but tuned just right to work well with music across my library (jazz, classical, new-age, rock/metal, fusion, jpop,... no hip-hop/dance) with a natural timbre of upright bass/guitar/piano. Mids are more forward than I remember. This makes vocals, solo acoustic/electric guitars, keys/synths to shine. Most notable is that the treble is (relatively) suppressed in such a way that the metallic zing and splash are there but they don't trigger any treble sensitivities. I do usually like my treble (I love Ragnar) but Spartacus does it in a way that doesn't destroy the timbre of acoustic guitars (which has an element of guitar body woodyness and steel string zings). I haven't encountered many IEMs that strike this balance for me.

I don't know how to put this into words to be honest... Spartacus just sounds correct and it is very engaging sound at the same time. Maybe honeymoon period... Let's see how it stands the test of time. Noble has really gotten me with Ragnar and Spartacus :sweat_smile:

img9210.jpg

Jan 12, 2024 at 12:15 AM Post #77,991 of 89,888
Just got the Noble Spartacus in... and what a surprise enjoyable set this has been!

I first heard these at Potafes last summer. They sounded well-balanced and seemed suited for all-rounder but I couldn't pick out any "character" to push myself to buy it. I think I wasn't hearing the BCD's on the floor. It probably got drowned by the surrounding noise. I had a similar lackluster impression with Loki too which I would like to give it a chance at some point.

Now listening to Spartacus at home, I can enjoy this fatigue-free for hours! And it sounds all correct to me! Spartacus has a very nice weighty extended bass. Not the highest resolution but tuned just right to work well with music across my library (jazz, classical, new-age, rock/metal, fusion, jpop,... no hip-hop/dance) with a natural timbre of upright bass/guitar/piano. Mids are more forward than I remember. This makes vocals, solo acoustic/electric guitars, keys/synths to shine. Most notable is that the treble is (relatively) suppressed in such a way that the metallic zing and splash are there but they don't trigger any treble sensitivities. I do usually like my treble (I love Ragnar) but Spartacus does it in a way that doesn't destroy the timbre of acoustic guitars (which has an element of guitar body woodyness and steel string zings). I haven't encountered many IEMs that strike this balance for me.

I don't know how to put this into words to be honest... Spartacus just sounds correct and it is very engaging sound at the same time. Maybe honeymoon period... Let's see how it stands the test of time. Noble has really gotten me with Ragnar and Spartacus :sweat_smile:

img9210.jpg

Great impressions thanks for sharing. This is definitely one I look forward to hearing in NYC.

Also, I'll never see "Potafes" and not read "Potatofest".

Jan 12, 2024 at 12:21 AM Post #77,993 of 89,888
Great impressions thanks for sharing. This is definitely one I look forward to hearing in NYC.

Also, I'll never see "Potafes" and not read "Potatofest".

I'd consider this a hidden jem under 2k bracket right now. Just let's me enjoy music without chasing technicalities.

Haha, if you ever make it there, @ranfan will make it a potatofes for ya! This was our dinner last year after the festival :sweat_smile:

img7537.jpg

Jan 12, 2024 at 12:27 AM Post #77,995 of 89,888
I'd consider this a hidden jem under 2k bracket right now. Just let's me enjoy music without chasing technicalities.

Haha, if you ever make it there, @ranfan will make it a potatofes for ya! This was our dinner last year after the festival :sweat_smile:

I miss @ranfan. I lived in Osaka 20something years ago and have been meaning to go back for a visit sometime. I'm planning to go to SG in 2025 during my spring break...hopefully for CanJam but if not just to visit some dear Watercooler friends over that way. If I make that trip I'll almost certainly include a stopover in Japan as part of it, and if that happens I'll eagerly look forward to a Potatoefest with ranfan if he's around and able :D...and hopefully a trip--err, pilgrimage-- to e-earphone also.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2024 at 2:22 AM Post #77,996 of 89,888
Has anyone visited High End Münich by any chance? If so, are IEM brands well represented?

Tnx...

drftr
I was there last May. I wouldn’t call it well represented, to be honest. I was able to try out Trifecta, Aura and others. But none like Storm, Elysian IEMs etc., for example. But after I got there I learned that there were some rooms with more IEMs like all the FIRs and many others. So for this year I will try to get sorted were to find these before I go. And the IEMs are not represented by the manufacturer there but from other companies like resellers and the like.

Headphones were very well represented. I was able to try SR-X9000, Susvara, the Raals, Utopia, Mezes and many many others.

Still mostly speakers and equipment for speakers. But like I mentioned above, It’s getting better and better. I think they slowly but steady evolve also into the mobile world.

Yes, unfortunately High End Munich was definitely not on CanJam level. But I hope it will closer now year by year!

Unlikely. I think the visits of many guys from headphones.com, crinacle, Z-Reviews and others will also have an impact. Plus we could do a mini-CanJam there and bring our own stuff!

Campfire is there, AK/VE presente Aura there last year, AK players in full display, Lotoo presented the "beast" last year here, usually someone from Zeppelin&Co. Singapore always comes and brings goodies to test (Jeremy!).

definitely not as IEM dense as Canjam, but still some fun can be had :)
Hi,
I had exactly the same impression of Highend 2023 in Munich. like @CharlyBrown and @slumberman had, that there was a lot to discover in the segments portable audio and headphones.
It should be noted that the proportion of these segments is also increasing every year compared to previous years.

In other news it actually kind of felt like winter here today...

2BAD1AF7-4822-4057-BC50-42CD558D0499.JPEG
What an incredibly beautiful place on earth you are living in, Jeff !

Jan 12, 2024 at 4:06 AM Post #77,997 of 89,888
CNC milled wood, yes, so each unit has a unique pattern, but no, they have neither.

These are not a replacement for AirPods etc for me because I want ANC for traveling but they are great for chores and taking a walk without cables getting in the way. And the isolation seems to be quite good upon first impression.

Here’s a detailed description and review for anyone interested.

Can recommend Earfun TWS. Despite the "cheap" looking storefront and prices, these are tuned pretty well (some were tuned by Oluv, also the bluetooth speaker) and have good features. There also sales on the site very often.

https://www.myearfun.com

Jan 12, 2024 at 4:08 AM Post #77,998 of 89,888
I was forunate to get one of the clear gel cases with my 1Z. I would hate to obscure the beautiful gold of the gold brick.

I'm definitely keen to try the Amt 16 at some point.

What is that-- a DAP?

Yeah an oversized DAP, more transportable than portable. Amazon has been dumping them for cheap ever since A&K released the successor model CA1000T (new dacs, better amp, faster processor and UI design like SP3K, has tubes). Dealers may not able to match Amazon discounting on original model if dealer paid more for their stock...
What @LFC_SL said, although the ‘T’ version as far as I’m aware only incorporates updated DAC chips and a tube mode like the SP2000T. The UI doesn’t use the new crimson UI that the SP3000 has and the SS amplifier is the same I believe. All I know is that this is great value for money and sounds better than the Kann Ultra which I had recently sent back that utilises the newer DAC chips! The WiFi also seems a lot more stable than the Ultra which is a very welcome addition. I had to send the Kann Ultra back due to dropouts when playing music through the embedded Tidal App. The sound was good but I’d say the CA1000 beats it out in terms of staging technicalities. It overall sounds wider and the sound has more room to breath. Imaging also seems more pinpoint.

Jan 12, 2024 at 4:18 AM Post #78,000 of 89,888

Afternoon Apx sesh feat. OrphyS and N30 AP :L3000:
Nice. What are you hearing?

How does this set up compare to AP, FW, Viking Ragnar?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back