The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 10, 2024 at 3:34 PM Post #77,806 of 87,760
Jan 10, 2024 at 3:35 PM Post #77,807 of 87,760
Last edited:
Jan 10, 2024 at 3:56 PM Post #77,808 of 87,760
Well... I can't really tell you, my friend, as my life would be at risk for sure. Of course I can give you some secret hints as nobody would be able to find out anyway. The name would or at least could have for instance a T, a U, and perhaps a 1, a 2, or even both in it. Can't tell you more or I'd be killed by at least 64 members here, so please promise me to keep this as our secret. After all this is absolutely mean, unfair, miserly, nasty, foul, despicable, vicious, and even low-down of me. It's the nature of the beast. My number is six hundred and sixty six, for it is a human number.

drftr
U12t is not exciting for sure.

Jan 10, 2024 at 4:03 PM Post #77,810 of 87,760
I am very glad @MatW & @Garney are loving their Anni23 and also hear it as having High End bass as I do because I definitely talked this set up with them.

Knowing Mat is a big fan of 64A & Fir and Garney listening to a lot of unforgiving metal, I was unsure if this IEM would do the trick for them, but still felt confident they would appreciate it :relaxed:

Earlier in 2023, upon hearing the 2023 Anni revision, I came to the conclusion that it’s so much bassier before having access to graphs. I found it to be almost to the point where they were perhaps not even the same IEM and only sharing the name Annihilator. I felt like a delusional hermit having visions as seen by my initial impressions in screenshots.

This led me to send my set to @freeryder05 to compare and he also aligned to the findings and even measured it to be more dramatic than I had expected. Then sent them both my way to compare for a week and there was no doubt about it.

IMG_4456.png

I do prefer the Anni23, but what is crazy is that the 2021 has even airier treble with extra refinement and layering and it is a larger/ more spacious sound in the width plane. I think Anni2023 is the more mature product bringing more oomph and less dryness to its mids, a more visceral and dynamic nature and more textured bass, all while having special treble, but is definitely not limited to its treble.

I find it to be a colored sound for sure, but it kinda just works.

Attachments

• IMG_4455.jpeg
    IMG_4455.jpeg
    140.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4454.jpeg
    IMG_4454.jpeg
    166.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4453.jpeg
    IMG_4453.jpeg
    83.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jan 10, 2024 at 4:06 PM Post #77,811 of 87,760
Yes but so is oatmeal, corn flakes, and melba toast.
I have been eating oatmeal as breakfast since don't know when and will be likely continue to forever in the future. The story is oatmeal used to be exclusive only for horses, but after automobiles replaced horse-draw carriages, big firms such as Kellogg started to bring oatmeal to the table of human and create the delusion that oatmeal had been breakfast since ancient time. Similar story is behind the "Diamond is forever" from De Beers.

However, for IEMs, do we have oatmeal that everyone consumes? Maybe AirPods Pro?

Jan 10, 2024 at 4:12 PM Post #77,812 of 87,760
I have been eating oatmeal as breakfast since don't know when and will be likely continue to forever in the future. The story is oatmeal used to be exclusive only for horses, but after automobiles replaced horse-draw carriages, big firms such as Kellogg started to bring oatmeal to the table of human and create the delusion that oatmeal had been breakfast since ancient time. Similar story is behind the "Diamond is forever" from De Beers.

However, for IEMs, do we have oatmeal that everyone consumes? Maybe AirPods Pro?
Regular weight lifter here. Oatmeal is my go-to carb for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Ample health benefits, and served hot on gloomy days is the perfect pick-me-up.

From USAToday (https://www.usatoday.com/story/life...wney-jr-wooed-his-wife-with-oatmeal/77321498/), re: RDJ's wooing his wife:
"We were up in Montreal prepping for Gothika, and we had lunch with the director and Halle Berry," Susan tells The Hollywood Reporter. "Everybody else ordered Japanese, but Robert told us how oatmeal was the 'superfood.' He brought his own packets of oatmeal to have at lunch."

Avengers co-stars described similar things when on set with him, and he got into crazy good shape for that film.

Also Schwarzenegger's go-to:
https://www.essentiallysports.com/u...ing-status-heres-everything-you-need-to-know/

Jan 10, 2024 at 4:54 PM Post #77,813 of 87,760
Canpur 622b

IMG_9415.jpeg

This iem has set my world on fire! 🔥

I love this set so much that it’s going to become my very first TOTL CIEM! That’s right, I’m going all in on a custom set! Keeping the original design you see above. Now the wait begins! 4 weeks can’t come soon enough!!

Jan 10, 2024 at 4:55 PM Post #77,814 of 87,760
We have to acknowledge for someone getting their first IEM that have not listened to sound yet the way you do with IEMs it is a great choice to learn how to hear. U12T was exactly this for me and my second IEM the first one turned out to be physically painful to have in my ears so that one I could not learn from. That basic design 64 uses is quite comfortable for me, it turned out to be a set I listened to for two years before I started wanting more bass. It takes about 2 hours of listening with the U12T to sound exciting to me, it mostly stays out of the way of the music as far as I am concerned. I would still rate that set very high.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2024 at 5:02 PM Post #77,815 of 87,760
We have to acknowledge for someone getting their first IEM that have not listened to sound yet the way you do with IEMs it is a great choice to learn how to hear. U12T was exactly this for me and my second IEM the first one turned out to be physically painful to have in my ears so that one I could not learn from. That basic design 64 uses is quite comfortable for me, it turned out to be a set I listened to for two years before I started wanting more bass. It takes about 2 hours of listening with the U12T to sound exciting to me, it mostly stays out of the way of the music as far as I am concerned. I would still rate that set very high.
My A12t doesn't excite me anymore, but I can't seem to part with it. The fit is just too good. I should just got the N8, but I also can't seem to hit the buy button. I have had so many misses on CIEMs that I am really afraid to buy even from the same maker.

Jan 10, 2024 at 5:29 PM Post #77,816 of 87,760
But this is the answer for any sane person. At least I hope it is. Who would pay more than $50 for IEMs outside of this tiny tiny niche?

My fiance is typically more critical about the sound of the things that go into our house than I am and when given the Trifecta to try all I got was a grimace before the first song ended. For better for worse—usually for worse in my case—my fiance is pretty good about guessing the price of things (generally within $500ish, barring the Susvara which was a couple thousand off) but my Trifecta’s sound and pretty severe bubbling in the housing got a price estimate of $100, most of which was because the cable felt expensive.

Jan 10, 2024 at 5:33 PM Post #77,817 of 87,760
My A12t doesn't excite me anymore, but I can't seem to part with it. The fit is just too good. I should just got the N8, but I also can't seem to hit the buy button. I have had so many misses on CIEMs that I am really afraid to buy even from the same maker.
I have and still like both but after several fit related issues I won’t be adding any more CIEMs. I can warmly recommend the Nio which I sold when I got the N8 but I bought it back and it sounds even better to me.

Jan 10, 2024 at 5:37 PM Post #77,818 of 87,760
Yes maybe. With my SP3K, Storm was more demanding than GM.

I still hope for a CanJam Europe one day. I think it made definitely sense, given how many headphone and IEM enthusiasts live here...

Woohoo! A flaghsip paired with a flagship 🤟
Damn I see now that I missed post # 77,777 by just one post, and you are the lucky one, but you probably didn’t even notice! 😄

Jan 10, 2024 at 5:54 PM Post #77,819 of 87,760
Absolutely this, imagine for whatever reason you suddenly can't afford that subscription your collection of play lists just dissolves or your internet connection disappeared. I get the convenience and the minimalist concept of not having to find or purchase your favourite artist/music but streaming does not float my boat I like owning my music collection and being able to listen anywhere anytime even in a zombie apocalypse lol
Not to further enflame the streaming vs local files battle, but the chance of a zombie apocalypse is very close to nil. :wink:

I absolutely get the reasoning for owning your own music, I notice I do have more affinity for those albums I've purchased on BC for example, I'm contemplating getting into vinyl again, and I like supporting specific artists with more than streaming revenue. But to assume that your streaming service is just going to evaporate one day is a bit far fetched. I haven't paid for Spotify for 8 years or whatever since AM launched, but my account still exists with all of my playlists, artist/album likes etc, and I can still use it any time I like.

I have no real idea...but it does seem to me that way. As someone who has been a big fan of the brand for years it's long felt like they get a disporportionate amount of animus from folks in various corners of this hobby. The Xe6 is an interesting case. I've had lots of experience with it over the years but have never really connected with it on the whole. On a technical front, relative to Trifecta it's got much better articulation and detail in the upper mids and highs (which is an area people often seem fixated on when it comes to technicals), but compared to Trifecta it sounds bloated and often congested in the mids and stage-wise it feels quite 2d and incoherent in comparison. Put another way-- choose your poison but it doesn't seem fair or reasonable to me that one of these IEMs gets called out for its pricing and the other (which is $500 more, at that) does not. YMMV etc. etc.
As ever, we all hear things differently, but I have to say "2d and incoherent" is the last way I'd ever describe Xe6. CIEM anyways.

It's not an insignificant list, and there's some major contemporary players on there. Again, though, they're not aiming to please a wide audience with an entire library. Whatever xe6 is doing is working for their music genre specifically.
This year alone I saw John Mayer and her holiness Taylor Swift live and both were visibly using Frontier series IEMs so it's not hype. So you are wrong.
Bogdan shared this in the FiR thread a few months ago, so...
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fir-audio-thread-discussion-and-impressions.910581/post-17775943

But what would he know about his customers :blush:
BAs are used for monitoring, of course, quite often.
This is why 64Audio is often used by production, engineering etc...

I have a wild guess, but isn't that IEM pretty beloved?
...speaking of...
Oh dear, it's the tired "A/U12t is so boring" meme again. No, it doesn't have "wow" factor and I had Zero expectation of that when I decided to go custom; besides that's what just about every other IEM on the planet is for.

My A12t doesn't excite me anymore, but I can't seem to part with it. The fit is just too good.
A12t is the IEM I listen to when all I want to hear is the Music, not the Gear. And it's the only IEM I have that I can listen to for 12 hours+ straight with zero fatigue. Other than U6t.

I absolutely love the experience of putting them in, pressing play, and all I'm left with is the music hitting my eardrums and then my brain, with a feeling like there is nothing else in between; it's just me and the music. That is what A12t does better than anything else.

Jan 10, 2024 at 6:08 PM Post #77,820 of 87,760
Canpur 622b

IMG_9415.jpeg

This iem has set my world on fire! 🔥

I love this set so much that it’s going to become my very first TOTL CIEM! That’s right, I’m going all in on a custom set! Keeping the original design you see above. Now the wait begins! 4 weeks can’t come soon enough!!
Where are you buying the custom from?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back