The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 10, 2024 at 10:53 PM Post #77,836 of 89,156
Actually his response works for everything in audio as well. All discussions about stage positioning, imaging and so on are based on the same principle this guy mention there… the notion of position the producer wants.

That reminds me of a quote by Martin Parr: “All photography is propaganda”

Just saw the miking of a guitar soloist recently. I’m shocked by how he uses 3 different mics to capture left, right, and also one capturing the room. Modern recording and production is such wizardry to layman like myself.

Jan 10, 2024 at 11:03 PM Post #77,839 of 89,156
I regard Noble’s workmanship to be stellar and is one of my more well-regarded IEM makers. I love how my Prestige KK has turned out. Oh how much I have missed BCD that impacts bass directly…

Attachments

• IMG_8890.jpeg
    IMG_8890.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Jan 10, 2024 at 11:05 PM Post #77,840 of 89,156
I like this taking learning for a 'limited' product and applying to a new product that has general availability and the new flagship of the VE line no less. What learning did VE apply do we know or is it secret :)
OG Phonix is one of the most musical iems that I have ever heard. Phonix LE improved and tightened up on the bass and sub bass. Aura helped to add detail and clarity. I hope that the VE 10 is the combo of musical, good bass and sub bass, and detail and clarity. Hope that helps.

Jan 10, 2024 at 11:51 PM Post #77,842 of 89,156
Like @jwilliamhurst I also decided to Ciem 622B through @MusicTeck

Messenger_creation_c8e524a1-8d3d-45eb-bf7d-9f435d148169.jpeg

After some mental warfare I decided on these customizations:

1. Rose red stabilized wood faceplate
Screenshot_20240110-005002_Discord.jpg

2. Gold Canpur logo
Screenshot_20240110-201839_Gallery.jpg

Shell will be black (this can't be swapped out). I heard stabilized wood changes the sound, and respectively the BCD effect might as well. Excited to see how it turns out!!

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 12:25 AM Post #77,843 of 89,156
Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jan 11, 2024 at 1:04 AM Post #77,845 of 89,156
How long does it take to get ear molds? What does the process entail?
Fungal infection, that causes molds, usually take 10-14 days of incubation in the ears before symptoms rash out. Like Otomycosis in the ear canal that include pain, itching, hearing loss and a feeling of fullness in your ear. The last of which audiophiles seem to prefer.

But eh, I am guessing you aren't asking about these molds?! (sorry, downtime here).

Jan 11, 2024 at 1:06 AM Post #77,846 of 89,156
Couple of ways this can be done. Traditional method is you visit an audiologist who will inject a gel into your ears that hardens in about 2 minutes. Not so much that you can't get it out of your ears, but when removed it keeps the shape of your ears/canals so that the IEM maker can replicate the shape of the shells.

Newer method is a laser scan that purports to be more accurate, probably is, but this may cost more. I've had moulds made for both of my CIEMs and they've worked out great. The retailer you go with, eg Musicteck will likely share a photo of your moulds with the vendor to be sure they can work with the moulds in case you need a re-do. One thing I'd recommend is to get your ears cleaned before you get the moulds done. The audiologist can do this, or you can do it yourself, but you want to have any extra wax removed before getting the moulds.

It may seem like it at first, but it's really not that daunting of a process. I went with 2 well-established vendors of my first 2 CIEMs and the result with each of them is better than I expected.

The downside of CIEM of course is that it's harder to sell if you want to move on, or you take more of a hit on re-sale. But if you've found something that you know you want for the long-haul it's definitely worth pursuing.

Jan 11, 2024 at 1:22 AM Post #77,847 of 89,156
Couple of ways this can be done. Traditional method is you visit an audiologist who will inject a gel into your ears that hardens in about 2 minutes. Not so much that you can't get it out of your ears, but when removed it keeps the shape of your ears/canals so that the IEM maker can replicate the shape of the shells.

Newer method is a laser scan that purports to be more accurate, probably is, but this may cost more. I've had moulds made for both of my CIEMs and they've worked out great. The retailer you go with, eg Musicteck will likely share a photo of your moulds with the vendor to be sure they can work with the moulds in case you need a re-do. One thing I'd recommend is to get your ears cleaned before you get the moulds done. The audiologist can do this, or you can do it yourself, but you want to have any extra wax removed before getting the moulds.

It may seem like it at first, but it's really not that daunting of a process. I went with 2 well-established vendors of my first 2 CIEMs and the result with each of them is better than I expected.

The downside of CIEM of course is that it's harder to sell if you want to move on, or you take more of a hit on re-sale. But if you've found something that you know you want for the long-haul it's definitely worth pursuing.
I'd also recommend finding an audiologist that can take the molds and immediately take a 3-D scan of them, making an STL file for you that you can then forward to the iem company for making your ciem. I believe most iem companies can now use STL files instead of the actual silicone mold.

Jan 11, 2024 at 1:24 AM Post #77,848 of 89,156

Check out Owane And Jack Gardiner on bandcamp! :)

‘Love those two! Shredemption is a regular in my rotation. 😁

Driver type doesn't really matter. I can reasonably assume most of these artists couldn't give a toss about driver configurations either. It's all about whether the tool works for them. Results are the only thing that matters.

Maybe it seemed BA was the way because of the saturation of Jerry Harvey's creations that gained such prevalence early on, and those were all BA or mostly? I think it was due to the fact he was offering custom molds, honestly. And they "did the trick".
I have to go with what @fejnomit is on about though. Bass needs compensation and nothing does bass better than the DD. Stands to reason.
Yup, the reality is, 90% of artists’ customs aren’t ones they handpicked after hours of demoing like us. They’re usually just the flagship of the brand that appeals to them or their record label the most. Most of the time, it’s a simple business relationship; nothing more.

Thanks for the correction then! Can not imagine that, have to try it. I know when I play drums, too much sub-bass distracts a lot from the rest of the instruments, especially basslines. So I need an extra dry, unexciting tuning.
I’m a drummer too, and my in-ear needs are the opposite. :D I need to feel the lows to keep track of my kick drum, especially once the band kicks into gear. I guess it depends on how the monitors are mixed too. I usually have a v-shape to my in-ear mix; sub-bass to hear the kick, then upper-treble to hear my hi-hats.

That reminds me of a quote by Martin Parr: “All photography is propaganda”

Just saw the miking of a guitar soloist recently. I’m shocked by how he uses 3 different mics to capture left, right, and also one capturing the room. Modern recording and production is such wizardry to layman like myself.
Yeah, you need a lot of mics when capturing a solo performance. Otherwise, all you’ll get is a mono recording down the middle. :D The left and right are necessary for a stereo mix, then room mics add lots of ambience and space.

It should take no longer than 10-15 minutes if the audiologist can get them done in one go. They basically sit you down, check if your ears are clean, put stoppers in your ear (to make sure the silicone doesn’t reach your eardrum), then fill your ear canals with silicone. Once the silicone hardens, they take them out, and you have your impressions!

There are audiologists that also give you a block to bite on, so your jaw is relaxed and your ears are a tiny bit more open. But, honestly, that bit’s not as important as some people make it seem. The shaping the brands do to your moulds will negate those minute differences anyway.

Jan 11, 2024 at 1:37 AM Post #77,849 of 89,156
Have an upset wife trying to understand why I had another package!!!. Had forgotten about it 🙃

They are burning in for now as with the Trifectas.

Looking forward to your thoughts on both IEMs. The Project M has definitely piqued my interest due to my newfound affection for Dita...howeve I've had a couple folks tell me it's quite energetic in the upper mids which has for the time being taken it out of blind buy territory for me. It's definitely on my radar though...stunning looking IEM.

U12t is not exciting for sure.

It's pretty dry and is an IEM that's really easy to listen to passively, for folks who are in to that. I understand why many of my friends who are coders love this IEM as it's easy to listen to while keeping your mind mostly focused on something else and not being totally distracted by the sound coming out of your IEMs.

Not to further enflame the streaming vs local files battle, but the chance of a zombie apocalypse is very close to nil. :wink:

I dunno I'd still rather not be in a position where I was dependent on anything other than the device in my pocket to listen to my music. The past 3-4 years have taught me that pretty much anything can change on a dime in ways I cannot predict-- and given how often our country's debit system has arbitrarily failed in the last couple months and denied me access to my money coupled with all the chin stroking pundits out there who feel we're due for some cyber attack or wholesale information grid shut down...I'd like to be guaranteed I'd at least have my favorite music on hand to weather whatever storms come about.

I'd hate to wind up like this kid because I couldn't charge my DAP:

As ever, we all hear things differently, but I have to say "2d and incoherent" is the last way I'd ever describe Xe6. CIEM anyways.

I wasn't implying it's a massive issue it has generally but this is one technical aspect I feel Trifecta has the upper hand, that was my only point.

Oh dear, it's the tired "A/U12t is so boring" meme again.

As someone used to "tired old memes" resurfacing about my favorite IEMs, I sympathize.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 2:04 AM Post #77,850 of 89,156

‘Love those two! Shredemption is a regular in my rotation. 😁

Yup, the reality is, 90% of artists’ customs aren’t ones they handpicked after hours of demoing like us. They’re usually just the flagship of the brand that appeals to them or their record label the most. Most of the time, it’s a simple business relationship; nothing more.

I’m a drummer too, and my in-ear needs are the opposite. :D I need to feel the lows to keep track of my kick drum, especially once the band kicks into gear. I guess it depends on how the monitors are mixed too. I usually have a v-shape to my in-ear mix; sub-bass to hear the kick, then upper-treble to hear my hi-hats.

Yeah, you need a lot of mics when capturing a solo performance. Otherwise, all you’ll get is a mono recording down the middle. :D The left and right are necessary for a stereo mix, then room mics add lots of ambience and space.

It should take no longer than 10-15 minutes if the audiologist can get them done in one go. They basically sit you down, check if your ears are clean, put stoppers in your ear (to make sure the silicone doesn’t reach your eardrum), then fill your ear canals with silicone. Once the silicone hardens, they take them out, and you have your impressions!

There are audiologists that also give you a block to bite on, so your jaw is relaxed and your ears are a tiny bit more open. But, honestly, that bit’s not as important as some people make it seem. The shaping the brands do to your moulds will negate those minute differences anyway.
And make sure the temperature they're taken more or less matches with the temperature you're using them in. I had my last ones taken in Mexico City during Summer and have lost a lot of isolation value in freezing Holland.

drftr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back