The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 13, 2024 at 11:30 AM Post #89,146 of 89,866
Following are the results from the two IEM brackets in the 2024 Watercooler Spring Top 3

Over $2k Bracket

Elysian Acoustic Labs Annihilator x20
Oriolus Traillii/Ti x20
Campfire Audio Trifecta x19

Fir Audio Xe6 x16
Subtonic STORM x14
Aroma Audio Fei Wan x13
Unique Melody Multiverse Mentor x12

Fir Audio Rn6 x11

Canpur CP622B x9
Vision Ears VEX x8
Noble Audio Viking x8
Unique Melody Amber Pearl x8
Empire Ears Raven x7
PMG Audio Apx x5
Elysian Acoustic Labs Dio x5
Empire Ears Legend X x5
Emprie Ears Odin x5
Melodic Artification Alter Ego x5

Aroma Audio Jewel x4
Noble Audio Ronin x4
Nightjar Acoustics Duality x3
Noble Audio Onyx x3
FatFreq Grand Maestro x3
Dita Audio Perpetua x3
Fitear Creator/DC Ti x3
Unique Melody Mason (all versions) x3
Eletech Romeo x2
Vision Ears/AK Aura x2
Empire Ears Legend Evo - 2
Kublai Khan – 2
Nostalgia Audio Camelot x2
64 Audio Fourte x2
QDC V14 x2
64 Audio Volür x2

Ame Raven
Noble Audio Sultan
Jomo Audio Alpha Ti
Acoustune HS2000MX SHO mk2
64 Audio u/a18t
FatFreq Maestro SE
QDC Anole VX
Noble Audio Khan
Vision Ears VE8
Fitear MH334SR
QDC Emperor
Fitear Titan
Fitear Air 2
IMR Enigma+
64 Audio Trio
Vision Ears Phonix
Softears Turii Ti
Vision Ears Erlkonig
Soranik Mems 3
Fir Kr5
Nostalgia NA12
AAW Canary Pro
Final Lab II
Vision Ears EXT

$2k and Under Bracket

Campfire Audio Bonneville x16
Nightjar Acoustics Singularity x14

64 Audio u/a12t x12
Sony IER-Z1R x11

Elysian Acoustic Labs Pilgrim/Noir x11

Elysian Acoustic Labs Diva x8
Sennheiser ie900 x7
Oriolus Monachaa x7
CFA Supermoon x6
Penon Quattro x5
Bellos Audio X4 x5
Campfire Andromeda x5
Oriolus Isabellae x5
Canpur CP54E x5
Dita Project M x5

Noble Spartacus x4
634 Ears MIROAK-II x4
Sennheiser ie600 x3
Custom Art Fibae 5 x3
CFA Fathom x3
Air pods pro x3
Symphonium Titan x3
Symphonium Crimson x3
Oriolus Szalayi x3
Blessing Dusk x2
Penon Voltage x2
7th Acoustics Supernova x2
Theaudio Monarch MK3 x2
Custom Art Hybid Pro 3 x2
CFA Black Star x2
64 Audio N8 x2
Aur Audio Neon Pro x2
AüR Ascension x2
QDC 8Pro x2
AuR Audio Alita x2
Meze Advar x2

Tansio Mirai X
Samsung Galaxy Buds pro 2
Softears Volume
Aful MagicOne
Fiio JH5
InEar Promission X
Flipears Artha
Noble Audio Stage 3
Tralucent Audio 1 plus 2
IMR ACOUSTICS Enigma
Alpha Omega RA
KALIMANTAN
FatFreq Maestro SE
CFA Cascara
UM MEST II/III
Elysian Gaea
Thieaudio Prestige Ltd.
Timsok TS-316
Vision Ears VE8
Custom Art Fibae 7
Apple Airpods
Shure SE846
ATH-IEX1
634 Ears Miromak II
Spirit Torino Twin Pulse
Madoo 821
JVC HA-FW10000
Meze Alba
Dunu SA6 OG
Penon Serial
Superior EX
JVC FW1000
Kinera Verdani
SoftEars Turii
Etymotic ER2XR
Earsonics Grace Platinum
Jomo Flamenco
Earsonics Stark
HiSenior Mega5-EST
V16
Fiio FD5
Plunge Audio Unity
Fitear TG333
Tago T3-02
Noble Jade
Intime Sho
UM Indigo
64 Audio U4S
FitEar TG 343
Final Audio a8000
Night Oblivion Butastur
Venture Electronics Grand Duke
iBasso 3T154
Softears Twilight
CFA Moon Rover
Gaudio Tian
64 Audio U4s
Fir e10
Penon Anniversary
Softears Turi OG
FatFreq Maestro Mini
Noble Spartan
Fir M4
64 Audio U6t
64 audio Nio
Flipears Artha
FatFreq Scarlet Mini
Solaris OG
Final E5000
Flipears Artha Argentum
Qdc 8 Pro
Canpur ba7
7hz Legato
Moondrop Kato
Thieaudio Hype4
Madoo typ512
Craft Ears Aurum
MP145
QT-X

Here is the link to the raw survey data if anyone wants to see who voted for what:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EGcxQfvDh4Z1Y2vd3FmKPflRCMef17sJcvmP4TDB3cY/edit?usp=sharing

These and other poll results linked on front page.

Thanks for another successful poll everyone!

Just a technical note : $2K and less category, 64 Audio "U4s" and "U4S" both appear individually rather than being aggregated into U4s x 2

May 13, 2024 at 11:45 AM Post #89,149 of 89,866
Next time I do this I'll be more explicit about the criteria.
Easy fix, just add a new question that’s like “Most anticipated IEM” or “Favorite unreleased IEM”

May 13, 2024 at 12:11 PM Post #89,152 of 89,866
This is a mini Review for UM Multiverse Mentor

01.jpg

Disclaimer:

i am not a reviewer, just posting what i hear, based on what i have. keep in mind we all hear differently, and have different taste and requirement and extractions from our gear. i will try to make the review short, simple and direct. note i listen to J-pop mostly.

i will be Brutally Honest and won't Sugar Coat anything, i am not here to sell you the CIEM nor Cables , i am here to share my opinion.
Please keep opinions civilized, and remember, we all hear differently. its all Subjective by the end of the day.

02.jpg

Gear Used:
UM MM
iBasso 320 Max TI
Stock Cable
DH Mini Chimera Cable
DH Prion4 Cable

Tonally:
i think MM is on the fun side, warm and not all the way Neutral/Reference, it does a good job separating notes and creating 3D image, while keep you entertained with its unique and amazing dynamics, especially that you get to pin point most details and to enjoy all.

Bass:
Coming from CIEM BA based Bass MM left me confused at the start, this isn't typical BA at all, ofc thats what they were going for. the Bass were very fun, textured and have quantity actually but never bleeds into mids and treble at the same time.

typical BA at least on my 64 Audio A18s is Agile, Fast, very textured and the punch is stronger yet very small in quantity with different texture, so when i was getting used to the MM's bass it took time to actually convert me, and now i can't go back. reviews made me skeptical yet MM Bass won me over honestly.

Bass on MM is very fun, and thanks for MM's 3D nature, it made me pin points more details and enjoy that separation between notes, making me able to enjoy music further.

Mids:
Mids on MM is Slightly Forward from the Center to my ears at least, its feel like other notes are wrapped around the Vocals, 3D image, Holographic, Vocals and Upper mids are just right making me see that image of how bass, treble and everything else are revolving around the Vocal.

i really enjoy hearing female vocals on many tracks, so when i can hear them fully its part of the fun, depend on the track and singer, so that placement is not too forward to make you lose fun from bass and treble, nor its dead center making you wanting more from the vocalist. (depend on your needs)

there is hint of sweetness and lushness as well. yet i would say Vocals could use more of that and be smoother, so its a downside i see in mids (on this DAP at least)

Treble:
i am a Treble Head big time, i was very worried about the lack of Sparkle, especially that i listen mainly to J-pop

MM's Treble was there, yet its actually fun, because MM is a whole package, everything is done in a way to make the stage fun. Treble was extended yet surprisingly it didn't make me crave more all the way, because the rest of the show was that enjoyable, and MM is the only CIEM that made me not demand that Treble Sparkle to be there as much, even on stock cable.

Treble is Extended, Fun, with good Micro details, yet its enough quantity to tell you its there and entertain you, its never harsh or with any kind of glare. still as a Treble head i wish there was slightly more.

Sound Stage:
its Big enough to allow you to pin point details, hence why its called Multiverse, its bigger stage that my A18s and Annihilator 23 which makes me happy since honestly i like fuller sound and MM was very generous with it.

its this way to allow more pin pointing and 3D stage for MM do spread its magic in a bigger stage wowing the audience

03.jpg

Comparisons:

Annihilator 23:

the Annihilator is very Neutral compared to MM, and its Bass does an amazing job, ofc its a Dynamic Driver Bass, so i wasn't expecting a lot on MM's attempt on this. yet surpassingly MM Bass wasn't a sloth either, it hold its own weight and style and was good enough for the kind of music i listen too

Treble on Annihilator is amazing and fun, its Electrostatic driver after all, yet like explained earlier, MM's Treble and its nature is part of what MM trying to do, and even for a Treble head like me, it did deliver, while still i wish there was slightly more.

Mids on Annihilator 23 is where i decided i want another IEM, because i listen to jpop, and to me Annihilator's mids were taking a back seat, i wasn't able to enjoy female vocal's presentation, it was the price to pay for that amazing Bass and Treble.

64 Audio A18s:
MM win almost everything here, its a huge upgrade after all, yet one thing that A18s does better is Clarity and Control, but ofc it got less on its plate compared to the fuller MM.

i would say A18s Mids are smoother and cleaner too. its Neutral and Refence style CIEM by the end of the day.

04.jpg

Stock Cable:
the review you read is based on Stock Cable. i would be happy with stock cable it actually surprised me. yet when i tried other cables, i can understand why to some UM MM is boring, coming from Annihilator 23 for example. (based on what i read on this Thread) i did my research here before buying.

that being said, stock cable is really good, if you are having fun and MM give you what you need. no need to change it at all. honestly its a good cable. to many of us cable don't do any change, and some have good or bad synergy. we all hear differently.

one more note, 320 Max TI as a DAP + UM MM is never boring, its very fun imo.

DH Mini Chimera Cable:
This Cable is very good on my 64 Audio A18s. Synergy is Key, sadly not the case for MM

Bass and Treble good, but it bleeds into Vocals, which already changed from Tiny Forward to Slightly back from Center. it Ruined the Balance IMO.

DH Prion4 Cable (Former Flagship):
Extra Treble and made the IEM on the brighter side a little, thankfully i can't say no to Treble as long as it doesn't go too far and Ruin the balance, few Tracks wasn't as good with the added brightness.

Bass is Fun and Controller, more Textured yet Punch became slightly Less though. Cable added more clarity, speed and control too.

Mids, and Vocal because Centric, and took a small step vs its original position, but thats given since Bass and Treble had some boost.

i still don't think this cable got best Synergy for MM, since Vocals/Mids lost little magic yet again the IEM because more fun, especially coming from Annihilator 23, good addition for certain flavor nevertheless, i would add its too Bright when paired with MM.

still for the price, only get it if you want that U shape Fun sound sig alteration if you EDM Music is suffering from the ahhh i am bored Syndrome lol.

Pros: Amazing Treble/Bass (good to have if you have another cable that take care of mids/Vocals for you)
Cons: Slight Impact on Upper Mids/Vocals and making this IEM U shape with less Vocal Smoothness/Clarity, very bright for MM it get fatiguing fast.

Cable Synergy:
Cables that are more focused on Mids/Vocals and Warmth will have better synergy with MM in my opinion, while the other type will ruin MM's Balance and Harmony. not that these other cables are bad, its just certain IEMs need Certain cables that synergize with it better.

Stock cable have way more Synergy than the previous two cables, so i guess i need to start looking for the right cable if i wanted to upgrade stock cable.

Conclusion:
UM MM is an amazing CIEM, very happy with the purchase, with the right setup it feel very Desktop Quality became Portable, no wonder why IEM been so hype lately.

if I have to Describe UM MM in one line I would Say: Jack of all the Trade and Master of Some.

Last edited:
May 13, 2024 at 12:11 PM Post #89,153 of 89,866
Damn, because of your post im now more intrigued by IEM desktop amp combinations.

Would love to see that in amp reviews more, how they pair with IEM’s.

I was already on the lookout for a portable amp, something to improve immersion even more. And to drive the meze elite.

For the meze for obv. reasons a desktop amp makes sense. But does power stop scaling for IEM’s at a certain point?

For car speakers there is a way of thinking: want more bass but no bigger speaker? Get more power.

Is the same true for IEM’s?
I may not have mentioned this here before. If you want to try a desktop amp look at the HoloAudio Bliss. This is a very powerful amplifier that is also ultra quiet and can be used with IEMs. In fact, it might be one of the best amps available at any price to drive IEMs. While it has a 4.4 mm output as well for IEMs, the resistance is a touch higher. So also use the XLR out with an XLR to 4.4mm adapter ( always connect and disconnect the IEM from the adapter ONLY after removing the adapter from the amp. This is a practice that should be followed with any amplifier. ). These adapters are inexpensive and on amazon. Get the ones with no cable. The KTE version ( top version ) is $3400.00 and will also drive most any HP as it was designed with the Susvara in mind.

In the case of IEMs, it is not really that more power is needed to allow for them to scale up. It is the quality of the amplifier. I am not aware of any IEM that requires more than milliwatts of output. In the case of the Bliss you will have a fully Class A amplifier. This, along with its circuit design allows it to be of much higher quality than any dap or mobile unit.

As you can now also use HPs, try your Elite in this amp. Or even better try a Susvara or what wowed me at CanJam, the ZMF Atrium Closed on this amp. I have driven the amp fabulously with my N8 DAP in addition to Holo’s own May DAC. Enjoy.

Last edited:
May 13, 2024 at 1:00 PM Post #89,156 of 89,866
I may not have mentioned this here before. If you want to try a desktop amp look at the HoloAudio Bliss. This is a very powerful amplifier that is also ultra quiet and can be used with IEMs. In fact, it might be one of the best amps available at any price to drive IEMs. While it has a 4.4 mm output as well for IEMs, the resistance is a touch higher. So also use the XLR out with an XLR to 4.4mm adapter ( always connect and disconnect the IEM from the adapter ONLY after removing the adapter from the amp. This is a practice that should be followed with any amplifier. ). These adapters are inexpensive and on amazon. Get the ones with no cable. The KTE version ( top version ) is $3400.00 and will also drive most any HP as it was designed with the Susvara in mind.

In the case of IEMs, it is not really that more power is needed to allow for them to scale up. It is the quality of the amplifier. I am not aware of any IEM that requires more than milliwatts of output. In the case of the Bliss you will have a fully Class A amplifier. This, along with its circuit design allows it to be of much higher quality than any dap or mobile unit.

As you can now also use HPs, try your Elite in this amp. Or even better try a Susvara or what wowed me at CanJam, the ZMF Atrium Closed in this amp. I have driven the amp fabulously with my N8 DAP in addition to Holo’s own May DAC. Enjoy.
Very much appreciate the suggestion, Holo is hard to audition here. But I will be on the lookout for a place todo so. Or maybe a shop with great return policy 😅

May 13, 2024 at 1:29 PM Post #89,158 of 89,866
Perhaps check Elise Audio whether they're bringing it to CanJam? They're the distributor and dealer in the UK I think.

drftr
I see them on the show exhibitor’s list, nice ill contact them

May 13, 2024 at 1:48 PM Post #89,159 of 89,866
Very much appreciate the suggestion, Holo is hard to audition here. But I will be on the lookout for a place todo so. Or maybe a shop with great return policy 😅
Magna Hifi in Heiloo, 40 minutes from Amsterdam?

May 13, 2024 at 2:00 PM Post #89,160 of 89,866

Users who are viewing this thread

Back