The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 6, 2024 at 11:28 PM Post #77,221 of 88,245
Jan 7, 2024 at 1:50 AM Post #77,224 of 88,245
So I've spent the day with the Canpur 622B. At the end of the day I think it's a great IEM that's hard to fault. Staging, timbre, resolution, imaging all well above average...though I'm not sure I'd consider it the best in one category. A more relaxed presentation than the Fei Wan with the only real niggle for me being a hair breadth too much perceived energy in the upper mids at times. Not shouty or anything but could possibly get there with jush a push via poor source or cable synergy. Vocals are imaged in the centre. Bass is quite good with nice thump, though not as rich or meaty as a good DD. Sound profile is on the whole a pretty balanced. Who is this IEM for? I can think of a number of avenues that would lead to this being a great rec. Perhaps you want something similar to Storm but with more emotion in the mids at the cost of a bit of transparency and raw technicality? Try the 622B. Love the Traillii but want something with better bass more slighty more prominent upper mids and are willing to take a slight ding in transparency and perhaps timbre? Try the 622B. Love the Rn6 but perhaps want something more cohesive/analogyue with better timbre, better mids and are willing to take a ding in the bass? Try the 622B. Etcetera. This is another way of saying that if you have and love, say, the Storm, Traillii, Rn6 or something similar, and are totally satisfied with those IEMs as they are...then I'm not sure what the Canpur 622B would really bring to the table. On the other hand for folks seeking a great "one and done" IEM that does everything at a high level and is incredibly versatile...then I feel comfortable saying this is one of the best recs on the market currently. For myself much of what I love about th 622B is already present in my Perpetua, which has a similar presentation with (to my ears) richer more satisfying timbre and much better bass...even it if comes at the expense of some technical chops. YMMV etc. (These are just my late night thoughts after a busy day...I reserve the right to change my mind following an epiphany later lol.)

Jan 7, 2024 at 2:39 AM Post #77,226 of 88,245
Every now and then a song makes me want to sell my car to buy back a Traillii and a new source….

:) That album (‘The world is finally quiet’ by Olafur Arnalds) is such an ethereal atmospheric beauty. I have no clue about Traillii and why you wishing for it, but my wish when hearing this was - gawd need to splurge for an iem/hp with an enormous soundstage! Is that what attracts you in Traillii wrt to this album, or you referring to some other elements in there?

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2024 at 3:28 AM Post #77,227 of 88,245
:) That album (‘The world is finally quiet’ by Olafur Arnalds) is such an ethereal atmospheric beauty. I have no clue about Traillii and why you wishing for it, but my wish when hearing this was - gawd need to splurge for an iem/hp with an enormous soundstage! Is that what attracts you in Traillii wrt to this album, or you referring to some other elements in there?
I've scaled down immensely in my audio hobby having once owned the Traillii. I listen to songs like these and wish I had the gear I once had. The Traillii, for me, excelled at that "ethereal atmospheric beauty" so would be magical with this song/album... I had the very same desire (though not the means) to splurge on some new iems/source.

Jan 7, 2024 at 3:46 AM Post #77,228 of 88,245
It's been a week and my new year resolution is already gone, come on.........anyway.

IMG_3838.jpeg

The mirror finish actually looks much better than the brushed version, to my huge surprise.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2024 at 3:48 AM Post #77,229 of 88,245
So I've spent the day with the Canpur 622B. At the end of the day I think it's a great IEM that's hard to fault. Staging, timbre, resolution, imaging all well above average...though I'm not sure I'd consider it the best in one category. A more relaxed presentation than the Fei Wan with the only real niggle for me being a hair breadth too much perceived energy in the upper mids at times. Not shouty or anything but could possibly get there with jush a push via poor source or cable synergy. Vocals are imaged in the centre. Bass is quite good with nice thump, though not as rich or meaty as a good DD. Sound profile is on the whole a pretty balanced. Who is this IEM for? I can think of a number of avenues that would lead to this being a great rec. Perhaps you want something similar to Storm but with more emotion in the mids at the cost of a bit of transparency and raw technicality? Try the 622B. Love the Traillii but want something with better bass more slighty more prominent upper mids and are willing to take a slight ding in transparency and perhaps timbre? Try the 622B. Love the Rn6 but perhaps want something more cohesive/analogyue with better timbre, better mids and are willing to take a ding in the bass? Try the 622B. Etcetera. This is another way of saying that if you have and love, say, the Storm, Traillii, Rn6 or something similar, and are totally satisfied with those IEMs as they are...then I'm not sure what the Canpur 622B would really bring to the table. On the other hand for folks seeking a great "one and done" IEM that does everything at a high level and is incredibly versatile...then I feel comfortable saying this is one of the best recs on the market currently. For myself much of what I love about th 622B is already present in my Perpetua, which has a similar presentation with (to my ears) richer more satisfying timbre and much better bass...even it if comes at the expense of some technical chops. YMMV etc. (These are just my late night thoughts after a busy day...I reserve the right to change my mind following an epiphany later lol.)
What does it mean ding in the bass?

Jan 7, 2024 at 3:49 AM Post #77,230 of 88,245
It's been a week and my new year resolution is already gone, come on.........anyway.

It would be really great if someone would finally write something detailed about Raven (ideally with comparisons). What I've read so far is extremely vague and not useful for me personally. Ultimately, for me nothing really exciting was said about this IEM, which has already been heard by some. Oh yes, except that the launch was a disaster - still is, actually. My current impression is that Raven is somehow a good IEM but not at TOTL level, nothing groundbreaking like Odin back then. Is my impression correct or does Raven really have more (… than a Rn6 or Mentor for example) to offer?

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2024 at 4:04 AM Post #77,232 of 88,245
I had them both side by side at one point to A/B and I am like 99% sure I wouldn’t be able to tell them apart in a blind audition. 🤷🏽‍♂️ if there is a difference between them to my ears it wasn’t large.

IMG_7677.jpeg
Im getting the 707, but i bet there’s a difference 😝

Jan 7, 2024 at 4:16 AM Post #77,233 of 88,245
A perfect unit for high-end IEM owners, the Brise Audio Tsuranagi is the subject of today's review:

https://www.headfonia.com/brise-audio-tsuranagi-review/

1704582298202.png
Thanks for your review. I think it’s a little strange to pay that amount of money for a device to improve sound with IEMs (if that’s even possible or required) and then it brings noise to IEMs (at least to those with high sensitivity).

I would expect a completely clean output from such a device that’s designed for the only purpose to be used with IEMs.

In the end you then have a quirky and uncomfortable setup with several devices that need to be charged, need an additional expensive cable (sorry, interconnect) and the result is a noisy setup. This is the definition of over-engineering to me.

It might make sense for people who like to fiddle around much and use only more demanding IEMs though. But I’m not sure tbh.

Jan 7, 2024 at 4:16 AM Post #77,234 of 88,245
does Raven really have more (… than a Rn6 or Mentor for example) to offer?
You know I love both Rn6 and Mentor but Raven was one the biggest disappointments for me at CanJam. That was an early model though so there may have been changes. If not, then it has absolutely nothing in common with the balance of Rn6 or Mentor.

drftr

Jan 7, 2024 at 4:22 AM Post #77,235 of 88,245
Grand Maestro sesh tonight... it's easy to get wrapped up in the newest toys but this set doesn't ever fail to leave a huge smile on my face.

Love the "synergy" or almost lack thereof with the R8 II. Using the Darwin Ultra filter it smoothens out the GM highs while keeping the tremendous level of detail and extension, a really excellent combination.

Whatever upgrade cable this is that came with the GM is still my overall favorite for the IEM synergy wise, I just wish it wasn't starting to look battered but it'll do.

The levels of sub bass, excellent female vocals, and massive soundstage the GM brings to this song is :ksc75smile:

IMG_8226.jpeg
Listening to the GM while I type. This set has really grown on me over time. In the first months I only used them when I was in the mood for BASS. That changed over time when I realized how capable the GMs really are also from a musical as well as technical perspective.

Listening to Jazz, for example, is a jaw dropping experience for me. Totally in love 😻

Users who are viewing this thread

Back