The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 5, 2024 at 9:38 AM Post #76,921 of 89,111
Just some more 622b thoughts as I get more time with them..

I’d say the hype around these is justified. I’d consider this a top 3 IEM available right now regardless of price point. In terms of sheer capabilities and tuning the value proposition here even at MSRP is pretty damn good.

I am struggling a bit with them though and I cannot pinpoint why. When I listen to them I hear amazing bass mids and treble, but there’s something going on that’s making it difficult for me to hear them sort of play “as one” and make everything feel harmonious and musical. I do feel the timbre still has a slight dryness to it and transients/note edges almost feel a bit too revealing for me. Maybe that’s why I’m struggling to emotionally connect to them? I’ll keep exploring and see what happens. Sometimes I think they’re damn incredible and sometimes I feel like I’m listening to the drivers and not the music, there’s some magic pixie dust missing.

Whatever is (or isn’t) happening mentally isn’t stopping me from thinking “damn these are good IEMs” but it’s stopping me from thinking “damn these are good IEMs and that’s what I want to listen to”

We’ll see how this unfolds with more time 🍺

It sounds to me that (for you) it's a case of an IEM ticking boxes but lacking soul. It happens to the best of them...and of course it's an entirely personalized response etc. etc.

Jan 5, 2024 at 9:40 AM Post #76,922 of 89,111

I’d say the hype around these is justified. I’d consider this a top 3 IEM available right now regardless of price point. In terms of sheer capabilities and tuning the value proposition here even at MSRP is pretty damn good.

I am struggling a bit with them though and I cannot pinpoint why. When I listen to them I hear amazing bass mids and treble, but there’s something going on that’s making it difficult for me to hear them sort of play “as one” and make everything feel harmonious and musical. I do feel the timbre still has a slight dryness to it and transients/note edges almost feel a bit too revealing for me. Maybe that’s why I’m struggling to emotionally connect to them? I’ll keep exploring and see what happens. Sometimes I think they’re damn incredible and sometimes I feel like I’m listening to the drivers and not the music, there’s some magic pixie dust missing.

Whatever is (or isn’t) happening mentally isn’t stopping me from thinking “damn these are good IEMs” but it’s stopping me from thinking “damn these are good IEMs and that’s what I want to listen to”

Would be curious to know how these would sound with a tube amp.

Jan 5, 2024 at 9:41 AM Post #76,923 of 89,111
It sounds to me that (for you) it's a case of an IEM ticking boxes but lacking soul. It happens to the best of them...and of course it's an entirely personalized response etc. etc.

That’s essentially how I feel, yes. It’s hit or miss at the moment though. I have times where I’m like “wow is this the best thing I’ve heard?” And then times where I’m like “yeah this sounds a little too plain” so it’s quite interesting to see how I’m flip flopping through these experiences.

In any case it’s a very very good set.

Jan 5, 2024 at 9:46 AM Post #76,924 of 89,111
There is not a single night this week where I've had more than 4 hours consecutive sleep. Spent Wednesday and Thursday doing back-to-back powerlifting routines since this morning I was on solo daddy duty with the munchkin while my wife took her parents to the airport to head back to China. Kiddo had me up at 4am because she needed hugs. Logged onto Destiny 2, bagged three new exotics, then figured I'd continue the winning streak by doing something impulsive before work:
Screenshot_20240105_094056_Chrome.jpg

Mfw I have to explain my third set of IEMs to the wife:
giphy (4).gif

@Rockwell75 when she asks, I'm blaming you as a bad influence :p

Jan 5, 2024 at 9:47 AM Post #76,925 of 89,111
The reference to Fermat's Last Theorem seems so hilarous and random to me.

For reference I took a look at the results from this year's "Desert Island Survey" and pulled out the single DDs. Following are the single DDs that are the most popular in this community (using this particular survey as a reference anyway):

Dita Perpetua
NightJar Singularity
Sennheiser IE900
Softears Turii/Ti
Campfire Cascara
Final A8000
Final E5000
Sennheiser IE600
Acoustune Sho
Beyerdynamic Xelento
634 Ears Miroak-ii
Final A5000
Meze Advar
Simgot EA1000
Rhapsodio Eden
Dita Dream
JVC FDX1
Oriolus Isabellae
Timsok TS-316
The Sonic Memory SW2 should be on that list it's a truly remarkable iem and I fully expect it to be on the best of 2024 lists if they ever manage to put it on webstores for the US and Europe

Jan 5, 2024 at 9:48 AM Post #76,926 of 89,111
There is not a single night this week where I've had more than 4 hours consecutive sleep. Spent Wednesday and Thursday doing back-to-back powerlifting routines since this morning I was on solo daddy duty with the munchkin while my wife took her parents to the airport to head back to China. Kiddo had me up at 4am because she needed hugs. Logged onto Destiny 2, bagged three new exotics, then figured I'd continue the winning streak by doing something impulsive before work:

giphy (4).gif

Let her try it and maybe she will forgive you 🤭

Jan 5, 2024 at 9:52 AM Post #76,927 of 89,111

giphy (4).gif

Congrats dude-- is this the variant you've been coveting this whole time? Also, where did you order from? All you need to do now is track down a used WM1Z and you'll have an endgame combo that will be very hard to top.

Looking forward to your thoughts when the day comes.

Jan 5, 2024 at 10:00 AM Post #76,928 of 89,111
The Sonic Memory SW2 should be on that list it's a truly remarkable iem and I fully expect it to be on the best of 2024 lists if they ever manage to put it on webstores for the US and Europe

How is the soundstage on these? And does it suit a particular type of music genre(s), if so what? Thanks.

Jan 5, 2024 at 10:03 AM Post #76,929 of 89,111
Congrats dude-- is this the variant you've been coveting this whole time? Also, where did you order from? All you need to do now is track down a used WM1Z and you'll have an endgame combo that will be very hard to top.

Looking forward to your thoughts when the day comes.
It is. I am so stupid hyped for this thing. Kid me (because I am approximately OLD AF in gen z'er terms) had a walkman cassette player way back in the 90s with the theme song to Darkwing Duck on it (I was, I dunno, 4?) and that old-style analog hiss I heard on the Trifectas at CanJam last year brought back vivid memories of that. The nostalgia factor was real. Like I said, literally the only pair of IEMs I heard at the show that instantly brought a smile to my face.

I ended up ordering from Right Shop Audio. This was the last set they had afaik, and they were having a new year's sale. I waffled hard on Victoria as a pairing (and may yet end up selling/trading that cable onwards) but at the sale price and bundled shipping it made sense to spring for both. I've been emailing Eletech on the side and may end up mailing the cable to them down the line to get those versa adapters reterminated, but apparently despite their social media announcement, they haven't officially launched that program yet.

I don't know about the wm1z yet. It's tempting. I'd be sooner inclined to sidegrade to a zm2 from my am2, or even try an r2r dap, but I don't know. Younger me did his listening almost exclusively in transit, and as of now there's rife opportunities in PA for long nature walks, but I do so much listening now in bed or at a desk that I keep on pondering, if not a desktop setup, maybe a less portable option for better sound.

Jan 5, 2024 at 10:10 AM Post #76,930 of 89,111
My goodness my friends. This took me a long time to get right, but I finally made an EQ profile that absolutely works with one of my longest running headphones to which I’ve contemplated many times selling, the Sony MDR Z7. 😬. Holy cow. This headphone to dial in correctly using my Parametric EQ program built into my Kann Max DAP was incredibly challenging to get right. After quite a bit of perseverance mixed in with a few curse words 🤬 I can now safely say I love this headphone, especially paired with the KANN Max running balanced. This really works, especially synergy wise to my ears because the KANN Max DAC is pretty laid back, smooth with good detail. Nothing crazy. Just neutral good with some added bass texture.

Also. If anyone here in the cooler has had or has the Z7 please share your thoughts with me because I’d love to know what experiences you’ve gone through with it. I know the Z7 is a fairly dated headphone, but as I was saying If you can dial in this headphone with proper EQ from a good DAP the Z7 becomes a remarkably fun headphone and I now actually like them more than my CFA Atlas IEMS. 😵‍💫

Anyhow. Here is the EQ profile I came up with and sorry for the crappy pictures. I use an iPhone 8. I’m a dinosaur.

So the mids and treble really needed the most work. Adjusted the Q Values as well to get some of the frequency bands a bit more linear with less notches. Really helped get rid of the “honk” and shouty sound. The bass was really easy to get right with the Z7. Definitely more powerful now with greater extension. Something the stock tuning really lacks.
All in all I got the Z7’s to sound fatigue free and kudos to AK. They have pretty good EQ programs. A lot of digital Equalizers sound like utter garbage to me, but this one found in the MAX isn’t bad. Certainly not the most sophisticated though like compared to Sony DAPs.

Cheers cooler drinkers. Thanks for listening. Again. If anyone has the Z7 let me know. 🤝☺️

Attachments

• IMG_7387.jpeg
    IMG_7387.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7386.jpeg
    IMG_7386.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7385.jpeg
    IMG_7385.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Jan 5, 2024 at 10:12 AM Post #76,931 of 89,111
How is the soundstage on these? And does it suit a particular type of music genre(s), if so what? Thanks.
The soundstage is huge and with terrific depth (best I've heard) the tuning I'd say is bright neutral with great bass the technicals are crazy! I've been listening to Classic Rock, Funk, blues, R'n'b and prog.

Jan 5, 2024 at 10:13 AM Post #76,932 of 89,111
A photo for the Watercooler.

Since I have a quirk and can't rest until I know I have exactly what I have to match my expectations - in other words, I don't want to leave any unanswered questions - I went with the DX320Max to compare with the N30.

Who is (for me) the king of the daps? Unfortunately, I can't answer this question exactly yet as I received the DX320Max a few hours ago. I'm going to burn it in, as it's definitely necessary. Here comes the reason. The first few minutes blew me away, the DX320Max was really great: resolution, transparency, soundstage... everything was fantastic, even better than the N30! But after just a few minutes I noticed that the DX320Max was slowly but surely coming down: that resolution, transparency and soundstage were gone. 1-2 hours burn-in time and shortly compared again. Here are my very brief impressions and I come straight to the point: the N30 was the king in this round, period. And that was immediately noticeable to me.

Reasons: The bass foundation is not as full and textured as the N30, and it's also more on the cold side. The N30's bass therefore sounds warmer, has a slower decay and is more defined. I have to admit that I have never understood how the bass foundation can have coloration - until now. So it's cold with the iBasso and warm with the N30. The mids are a little thinner on the iBasso and more emotional and plastic on the N30 (man, how I love those mids!). Last point: the N30's soundstage is more holographic (partly due to the plasticity of the mids), deeper and, above all, has more air. Such aspects of the DX320Max would currently be dealbreakers for me, and this volume control - who the hell came up with that?! So cumbersome! I don't know if I could cope with it.

N30 -> SS Mode, High Gain / Hyper Mode
DX320Max -> 4G, Ultimate Mode, D2, DAC 85 and 100

I didn't pay attention to other things because I want to let the iBasso play more first. But I still think it's pretty impressive. Updates are coming...

IMG_0813.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2024 at 10:19 AM Post #76,933 of 89,111
The soundstage is huge and with terrific depth (best I've heard) the tuning I'd say is bright neutral with great bass the technicals are crazy! I've been listening to Classic Rock, Funk, blues, R'n'b and prog.
Wow! If Prog is cantering along sweetly on them, then great. Thanks again.

Jan 5, 2024 at 10:32 AM Post #76,934 of 89,111
This is a pretty specific question, but I wanted to ask

I am trying to build up my measurement collection for CIEMs. I have gotten some good practice on my own set of Bientos, UERR and A12t, but I would like to really go in farther. If anyone is curious about getting their CIEMs measured, I would be very interested in doing it. I can even test some EQ stuff if that's of interest. Feel free to DM me if you're interested.

ryder

Jan 5, 2024 at 11:20 AM Post #76,935 of 89,111

I'm with @aaf evo and @Tokpakorlo on this. The Canpur is solid and among the top all-rounders I've heard, but, coming from the Ronin (as what I'd consider my current "all-rounder"), something felt just a little bit off. In addition to what the other guys have said, I'd add that the soundstage seemed just a little odd in a way that I can't articulate. Maybe it's just me, since no one els has mentioned this. When I A/Bed with the Ronin, the soundstage and overall tuning just sounded more natural to me, recognizing that the Canpur has a huge advantage in the low end with its BCD.

But would echo that it's still a solid IEM and a very strong value prop. given its price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back