The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 10, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #72,991 of 89,431
I think people can comment about how the market has evolved and keeping in mind that separate from a few large firms, I see most IEM companies almost as small watchmakers in Switzerland in which a big part of their expense is a very artisanal labor that try to recoup with a limited amount of IEM's. So people have to keep this in mind when commenting, just as everyone should expect high quality and superb customer service from these firms.
I just totally ignore those comments, what @Rockwell75 really responded was not the grievance of inflated prices, but some person attack which are very cynical at best.

Dec 10, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #72,992 of 89,431
Correct. Z1R is weak in the mids. So, you need to do something to correct it if you like mids. For me, I do it with source. I did it originally with EQ, but I stopped doing EQ. Love the pairing of Z1R with 1ZM2 or DMP-Z1. Those are goaty combinations.
I would think that WM1Z would also pair well with Z1R

Dec 10, 2023 at 2:09 PM Post #72,993 of 89,431
Dec 10, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #72,994 of 89,431
separated at birth? :wink:
Just like these guys

twins-750x400.jpg

Dec 10, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #72,995 of 89,431
Recently I found out that what Z1R was missing, not that I did not know it before, but not truly understanding and appreciating the missing part until recreantly: a good midrange. I suggest you try something to complement Z1R, IEMs that excel in midrange but still with enough bass.

Another direction is FATfreq IEMs, such as MSE, or GM, which bring bass to another level (at least quantity wise).
Yep. MSE & GM are very good iems in general with excellent bass. Can't go wrong with them. Important to use good aftermarket cables to get the midrange to come out and play with the rest of the frequency without getting lost

Dec 10, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #72,997 of 89,431
Dec 10, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #72,998 of 89,431
Thanks for the insight, Jim. I found the visuals interesting. Had I not asked I would only be able to draw a limited conclusion. Praise be the 'cooler. 😜
I found E12 to sound most like Turii ti.

Dec 10, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #73,000 of 89,431
Welcome back!

No, it's not weird. I prefer IEMs also. Many will insist that there is an objective decrease in SQ going from full size to IEMs, and maybe that's true-- but I'm so acclimatized to IEMs and their mode of presentation that I've yet to hear a full size setup that has really convinced me of their superiority...and I've heard some nice ones at various CanJams and meets. Part of it is that I'm just so used to the immediacy of IEMs firing right into my brain that full size cans always sound distant or not as satisfying when I try them. Perhaps if I had a good headphone rig and listened to it for a week straight until I got used to it then my mind would be changed. But sound quality differential or not it's indisuptable imho that IEM sound quality has improved in leaps and bounds in recent years-- in particular in the last 4-5 years and while there may be an objective gap in sound quality as far as I'm concerned it's sufficiently narrow that the one advantage of IEMs still holds strong, namely...
...their portability and it is for this reason that any discussion of IEMs vs. headphones is for a me a moot point because desktop gear by its very definition cannot give me the one thing I really want-- freedome to roam wide and far with a portable audio paradise. Another factor for me is that I can't stand the sensationm of having headphones on my head and don't enjoy wearing them for longer stretches.

That is lovely. A man wonders if there is a website anywhere where he could see a list of available products and perhaps order one.

In this day and age I don't think IEM sound quality is anything to trifle at.

Awesome-- looking forward to your thoughts. I hope you get to hear the Cascara also as that one shoots well above its price, perhaps even more than the two above. The Chromatic Series has been the sleeper hit of 2023 for me. I almost passed over them completely but on their own terms Cascara and Bonneville stand shoulder to shoulder with anything else I've heard this year...and I've heard a lot of great stuff.

In other news we're about mid-way between SoCal and NYC. :D. I'm counting down the days to March...

It occurred to me recently that I've yet to hear a Rhapsodio or Acoustune IEM. Dita was the other brand that had eluded me for years but I finally got my hands on the Perpetua and it's turning out to be my IEM of the year.

Weekend survey question 1: What is a brand or IEM or piece of gear that has continued to elude you through the years?

Survey question 2: What item is #1 on your radar as we close out 2023?
Question # 1: Elysian products.

Question #2: Tied for two things U/M Amber Pearl and the STORM Sovereign upgrade cables.

Dec 10, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #73,001 of 89,431
Yep. MSE & GM are very good iems in general with excellent bass. Can't go wrong with them. Important to use good aftermarket cables to get the midrange to come out and play with the rest of the frequency without getting lost
The way to go wrong is with quality control of FF products and surprisingly bad customer service. Their products sound good and they have some really good people there. Buyer beware.

Dec 10, 2023 at 2:18 PM Post #73,002 of 89,431
Having a Saturday night with my DD collection - mostly doing some tip rolling as it’s been a while. I must say that I regret pretty much every single DD I’ve chosen to part with, they should all be here in this family photo… Zen Pro, Eclipse, to name just two!

Your eclipse still feeling pretty fine at his new home, with a lively presentation in balance between boring and agressive tuning. Important that he is attached to a dedicated source that support/boost his dynamic driver while like (most) DD sets it's missing somehow of the brilliance especially in the mids from (much) more expensive multi BA sets.
By the way I had send as loan to someone and he liked it more than the thieaudio tribrids family.

It's not your goat :beyersmile: a different story is the Softears Turii OG with the upgraded Turboo cable - someway relaxed tuning of the Eclipse with bigger soundstage, still missing sort of brilliance but not really much, maybe the right now released Vision Ears VE10 is the game changer.

Dec 10, 2023 at 2:18 PM Post #73,003 of 89,431
Weekend survey question 1: What is a brand or IEM or piece of gear that has continued to elude you through the years?

Survey question 2: What item is #1 on your radar as we close out 2023?
1. Hidition. I need to fly to Korea to listen to it.

2. Dio.

Dec 10, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #73,004 of 89,431
The way to go wrong is with quality control of FF products and surprisingly bad customer service. Their products sound good and they have some really good people there. Buyer beware.
Oh, I don't know this, thanks for sharing.

Dec 10, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #73,005 of 89,431
It's not your goat :beyersmile: a different story is the Softears Turii OG with the upgraded Turboo cable - someway relaxed tuning of the Eclipse with bigger soundstage, still missing sort of brilliance but not really much,
Oh wow, you were able to get one?! If you have an opportunity, try it with the Martini cable, oh boy...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back